Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti copies RTIC

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The Hopper Flip?  Great marketing.  @Lit has 3 on order.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Are they still going to make the Yeti Purse Cooler?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I still cannot comprehend how it is that they have America brainwashed into paying $280 for a soft cooler that looks like it'll hold a 6 pack and a flat sandwich.
    :open_mouth:
    RTIC at half the price, is still overpriced.   I wouldn't be surprised if we come to find out that they are both owned by the same company.  Just marketting the same product to two people with two different price tolerances.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah I'm not in for any of these. My next cooler will be the large Pelican with wheels.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I still cannot comprehend how it is that they have America brainwashed into paying $280 for a soft cooler that looks like it'll hold a 6 pack and a flat sandwich.
    RTIC at half the price, is still overpriced.   I wouldn't be surprised if we come to find out that they are both owned by the same company.  Just marketting the same product to two people with two different price tolerances.

Maybe, I know the founders of Yeti and RTIC went to the same college. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I saw that this morning in an email. Cracked me up. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Just got back from a week-long vacation in Destin FL. I couldn't believe how many people had YETI coolers, mugs, hats, and stickers.

I bought a Walmart Ozark mug for $9 and drew the YETI logo with a sharpie.  =)

I live in Charlotte NC and YETI's popular here, but nothing like down in SEC country.

I walked the (over crowded) beach and saw nothing but YETI everywhere. That and Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Auburn, and Tex AM flags all down the beach.

I told my wife that I feel like the "yankees" from Ohio and Michigan who come down to NC/SC beaches.  =)

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    ColAngus said:

I told my wife that I feel like the "yankees" from Ohio and Michigan who come down to NC/SC beaches.  =)

Hahaha. Yankees from Ohio are the worst. ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    You'd be surprised what folks down here in the Carolinas classify as a Yankee.  =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    edited August 2016
    Options
    up here we draw the line between boston and south boston, south bostons part of the deep south =)

we need to build a wall
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I don't say this as a strike at Yeti because it's actually genius on their part. People are just stupid, plain and simple. Yeti is just capatilizing on this stupidity. Most folks are under the notion  that if something costs more, then it has to be better or superior. While I certainly agree to a extent with the ole adage "You get what you pay for",  its not 100% true across the board. Ford, Browning, Yeti, etc, etc, has capatilzed on people's stupidity for decades by selling them a inferior product at a higher price. You have to be intelligent enough to compare the products yourself and don't just jump on the higher price must be better bandwagon. The fact that people still fall for this tactic blows my mind. Yeti simply followed the model that Ford started over a century ago. Build a piece of crap, slap a exuberant price on it and watch the suckers and retards line up with their money in hand. 

Brother Todd, I may or may not be trolling above. You be the judge my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    When I saw the email this AM I thought it looked like my Ozark Trail soft side.

(not my actual cooler- pic taken from internet, too lazy to go downstairs to get a pic)
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

(not my actual cooler- pic taken from internet, too lazy to go downstairs to get a pic)

@xfire_ATX Can I ask how much and your thoughts on it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I was on the beach a couple weeks ago with a $20 Rubbermaid chest cooler.
    In the morning I threw an 8 lbs. bag of ice in it, along with beer, drinks and sandwiches for the family.  
    We drove out on the beach, I pulled it out of my truck, sat it on the sand, and we opened and closed the thing all day long on a steaming hot summer day.
    When I got home that evening and unpacked it, I still had at least half of the original ice in the cooler.  I did this without buying a $400 cooler.

Now, don't get me wrong.  As you guys have proven, there is a place for a highly efficient cooler that can keep ice for days (particularly if left unopened)...  notably, multi-day excursions far away from electricity.

None of those people @ColAngus saw on the beach last week needed a Yeti cooler, but I guarantee, they all proclaimed to each other how awesome that overweight and space limited Yeti was performing to all their college buds.  :lol:

( @SGH , troll invite accepted.  :wink: )
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2016
    Options
    People buying the BGE instead of the cheaper Vision....are we the same kind of dumb? 

We just might all be in the same boat after all.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    People buying the BGE instead of the cheaper Vision....are we the same kind of dumb? 

I would say no. Above I did say that there are certainly times that you get what you pay for. The BGE falls into this group. The life time warranty is worth it's weight in gold in my book. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gamecock24
    Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with owning a Yeti hard-shelled cooler. Some people benefit from the ice retention qualities (deep sea fishermen, car campers, etc). Now this lunchbox cooler, that I don't get.

I'm still rocking my fraternity painted coolers. But have ordered a RTIC softpak. The girlfriend was pleased by that decision.
    Columbia, SC - in the market for a LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SGH said:
    SkinnyV said:

I would say no. Above I did say that there are certainly times that you get what you pay for. The BGE falls into this group. The life time warranty is worth it's weight in gold in my book. 
    I think all those people that bought RTIC tumblers when they could have just got the ozark trail are dumb.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    SGH said:
    SkinnyV said:

Vision grills also have a lifetime warranty. As do Primo, Kamado Joe, Komodo Kamado, Grill Dome, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gamecock24
    Options
    Lit said:
    SGH said:
    SkinnyV said:

I think all those people that bought RTIC tumblers when they could have just got the ozark trail are dumb.
    When did the Ozark Trail tumblers come out? I didn't know about them when I bought my RTIC tumbler months ago. Or maybe I'm just dumb.
    Columbia, SC - in the market for a LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    My Shotgun is a Browning, my truck is a Ford, I got a Yeti.
    DAMN. 0-3. Ima dumbasz.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My Shotgun is a Browning, my truck is a Ford, I got a Yeti.
    DAMN. 0-3. Ima dumbasz.
    Brother Ron, please see the qouted below from my above statement.  
    SGH said:
    For the record, I own a couple of Yeti products and several Browning products. However that's where I draw the line. I'm the proud owner of 0 Ford products =)

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    up here we draw the line between boston and south boston, south bostons part of the deep south =)

we need to build a wall
    In New Hampshire, we considered you people from Lawrence and Methuen Massachusetts to be "down south".  
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    Options

we need to build a wall
    In New Hampshire, we considered you people from Lawrence and Methuen Massachusetts to be "down south".  
    i came down for the grits
    fukahwee maine

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You guys have me so confused.  I thought a Yeti was a really big hairy dude that hung out in the mountains of Tibet or somewhere.  Now you're telling me its an ice chest.  So I looked it up.  

The Yeti (/ˈjɛti/)[3] orAbominable Snowman(Nepali: हिममानवhimamānav, lit. "mountain man") is anape-like cryptid taller than an average human that is said to inhabit theHimalayan region ofNepalBhutan andTibet.[4] The names Yetiand Meh-Teh are commonly used by the people indigenous to the region, and are part of their history and mythology. Stories of the Yeti first emerged as a facet of Western popular culture in the 19th century.

The scientific community has generally regarded the Yeti as a legend, given the lack of conclusive evidence,[5] and it remains one of the most famous creatures ofcryptozoology. In one genetic study, researchers matched DNA from hair samples found in the Himalaya with a prehistoric bear from the Pleistocene epoch.

Given the above, I think I'll just stick with my ice chest.  

Spring "Not Yeti Ready" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I don't say this as a strike at Yeti because it's actually genius on their part. People are just stupid, plain and simple. Yeti is just capatilizing on this stupidity. Most folks are under the notion  that if something costs more, then it has to be better or superior. While I certainly agree to a extent with the ole adage "You get what you pay for",  its not 100% true across the board. Ford, Browning, Yeti, etc, etc, has capatilzed on people's stupidity for decades by selling them a inferior product at a higher price. You have to be intelligent enough to compare the products yourself and don't just jump on the higher price must be better bandwagon. The fact that people still fall for this tactic blows my mind. Yeti simply followed the model that Ford started over a century ago. Build a piece of crap, slap a exuberant price on it and watch the suckers and retards line up with their money in hand. 

so now you tell me about the fords, just picked up a f550 with 12000 on it, price seemed to good. might keep my 72 chevy ramp around just in case =) i already knew about the fords, worst vehicle i ever owned was an 85 f150, the day the three in the tree fell off the column i should have used it to beat the sheetz outa that truck =) going on 28 years in my 89 dodge B)
    fukahwee maine

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I just poured boiling water into both a Yeti and the Ozark and let them sit for a few hours. Temps were off by 1 degree at most. Going on 8 hours and still hot to the touch/sip.
    Austin, Tx
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:

WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    When I saw the email this AM I thought it looked like my O

@Weberwho    ... I think it was ~$60 or so, my Mom grabbed it for me somewhere in S MO so I dont know.

thoughts- Its better than all other Soft Sided coolers I have/had no doubt.  We have replaced two hard coolers with this one- smaller and same size.  Frankly its easier to carry vs the hard ones, not sure if it holds ice any better.  Like someone said earlier- its more than adequete, but for 4, 6, 8 hrs something else we all own likely works.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:

WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    When I saw the email this AM I thought it looked like my O

@Weberwho    ... I think it was ~$60 or so, my Mom grabbed it for me somewhere in S MO so I dont know.

thoughts- Its better than all other Soft Sided coolers I have/had no doubt.  We have replaced two hard coolers with this one- smaller and same size.  Frankly its easier to carry vs the hard ones, not sure if it holds ice any better.  Like someone said earlier- its more than adequete, but for 4, 6, 8 hrs something else we all own likely works.
    @xfire_ATX Hey thanks for the time and description!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota