Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National French Fry Day - and I missed it!

Options
had no idea today was National French Fry day, anyone else miss it?
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It's not too late...1.2 miles from my house:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

OK - I hate you!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Heading out for dinner and drinks with my wife and some friends, will keep this in mind.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    DMW said:
    Heading out for dinner and drinks with my wife and some friends, will keep this in mind.
    Sheetz is just a stumble away. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

Five Guy's burgers are OK but I think their fries suck.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Missed it too...

Options
    Yeah, and they got hit again by crazy Hadji. Killed over 70.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Yeah, and they got hit again by crazy Hadji. Killed over 70.
    Haven't heard if "anyone" has claimed responsibility for this horrific event. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    french-tunesian, rented truck, automatic weapons, grenade. driver killed in the truck. zig zagged through the crowd to kill as many as possible. looking like terrorist attack.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I had some of these earlier in the week. sprinkled with malt vinegar...and some ketchup. Pure Joy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Love 5 Guys especially their fries, its been awhile since I have been there though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    For 6¢ a pound, I can eat these all day.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @DieselkW those look perfect man.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I always wonder who declares these days.  Under who's authority?  Can I declare tomorrow to be meatloaf day?

Starting tomorrow, and to continue until the end of time, July 16th is meatloaf day, as so decreed by me, Blasting of the BGE Forum.

Phoenix 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    blasting said:

I always wonder who declares these days.  Under who's authority?  Can I declare tomorrow to be meatloaf day?

Starting tomorrow, and to continue until the end of time, July 16th is meatloaf day, as so decreed by me, Blasting of the BGE Forum.

You are too late, it is October 18th....
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/09/announcing-national-meatloaf-appreciation-day.html
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    For 6¢ a pound, I can eat these all day.
    Awesome. Do you double fry? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I missed as well.  For now I track two National------Days; 
    May 28th is National Brisket day and July 29th is National Chicken Wing day.  Prolly need to expand my horizons.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I missed as well.  For now I track two National------Days; 
    May 28th is National Brisket day and July 29th is National Chicken Wing day.  Prolly need to expand my horizons.  
    Those two should be in everyone's calendar - tomorrow is National Tapioca pudding day, or so SWMBO tells me....damn i hate that stuff and she practically lives on it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - good luck with that... and now that we are past the All-Star break we can see what the trade market looks like in a couple of weeks.  Friggin A's.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker - good luck with that... and now that we are past the All-Star break we can see what the trade market looks like in a couple of weeks.  Friggin A's.  
    Let's see, if we dump Reddick, Lowrie and Coco we could take away the smallest payroll in MLB from the D-snacks.... Not sure we have anyone else to fire sale.....
  • DieselkW
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Awesome. Do you double fry? 
    I've been out of town for a week, @Skiddymarker You have to fry them twice, or they won't turn brown.
    The real trick is to let the oil come back to 400º before dumping them back in for the second time. There was some trial and error for me on that.. using an I/R thermo I found that the oil went from 400º to 240º when I dumped in about 8 potatoes worth of fries at room temp.

When you put warmer fries back in the second time, you still lose a lot - the bottom vent has to be wide open to recover... but as the temp comes back those little beauties start to brown up.

It's an oily mess to clean up, but so worth it. I use the oil 3 or 4 times - peanut oil. Looking for a way to filter it to get more use out of it, Pall Corp makes a stainless filter that will work.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @DieselkW - agree the trick is to double fry. I use "fryer oil" from cash and carry - God knows what it really is, I think a mix of corn and canola. To clean the oil a fine mesh strainer works for the bigger chunks and then, depending on the weave, one or two layers of cheesecloth, #50 0r #60 grade. in the strainer cleans out the rest. For fries, I've gone as long as 4 or 5 months with the same oil, it seems that chicken and breaded"stuff" is what really shortens the life of the oil. BTW, I use a 2 gallon fryer, the egg is beyond my skill (or bravery) set. 
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I think that oil kept below some catastrophic high temperature can be used indefinitely if filtered to a fine enough level. Even an oil filter built for automotive use would be fine enough to make contaminated cooking oil bright and amber colored again. It's certainly a tighter filter than pouring oil through cheesecloth.

Problem is a pump, filter, pipe, etc is worth a few hundred gallons of replacement oil so no homeowner is going to buy one.

Maybe 5 Guys use enough oil to make it worthwhile... hmmmm...

Indianapolis, IN