Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey-Glazed Rubbed Pork Chops

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited July 2016 in Pork
Full credit to @The Cen-Tex Smoker as their post was the insipiration for last night's awesome meal.

Double thickness pork chops were brined for 3 hours in the fridge and then left to air dry in a warm, cat-free, room for 2 hours. As we don't have Tsunami Spin rub readily available here, I made one based on the ingredients from the Dizzy Pig website. This ended up being:
  • 2 tsp demerara sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp granulated garlic
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp black and red pepper
I created a honey/mustard sauce using following Cen-Tex's 2 parts honey/1 one part mustard powder approach, this was to coat during the final sear.

Chops were rubbed to give a good coating:

Smoked in our MM over cherry at 275F/135C until the internal temperature was at 130F/55C:

Looking good when they are at temperature:

Took the chops out and wrapped in silver foil, removed the platesetter and raised the temperature to 600F/315C. Unwrapped the chops, coated them with honey/mustard sauce. Reverse seared for 2 mins each side:

Didn't get a picture of the actual meal ... too busy eating :).

We had this with a smokey Pinot Noir, I think the next time it will be with a mature Chateaneauf du Pape or Cote Rotie.

I'll make this again soon. Next time I would have half the amount of turmeric and smoked paprika and use finely diced shallot and garlic instead of the powders. But that's all ... this really was one of the best pork chops we've ever tasted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments