Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP NEEDED - NC/SC BBQ JOINTS

Options
GreenWave36
GreenWave36 Posts: 132
Next week I will be in NC/SC for work, driving from Raleigh, through Fayetteville, Florence (SC), Columbia, then back up to Charlotte, checking out some retail stores.  If anyone can point me toward any great BBQ spots roughly along this route, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jeremy 

Comments

• MurrayG
    MurrayG Posts: 28
    Options
    I love Clyde Coopers in downtown Raleigh. 
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    Brew-n-que in Cary which is right outside of Raleigh. Also the pit in downtown Raleigh 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'll respond later, but there's a BBQ trail on Visit NC .com that has more choices than you can shake a stick at. 

@JohnInCarolina may know exactly where that is located.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll respond later, but there's a BBQ trail on Visit NC .com that has more choices than you can shake a stick at. 

There is that....and then there is some real BBQ. Check out this earlier post. http://discoversouthcarolina.com/barbecue
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    If you are near the Pinehurst area check out the Pick n' Pig. Not sure of the geography down that way. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

There is that....and then there is some real BBQ. Check out this earlier post. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188677/the-south-carolina-bbq-trail-for-those-who-may-be-passing-through-our-state
    There maybe like two joints on that one. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    edited June 2016
    Options

There is that....and then there is some real BBQ. Check out this earlier post. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188677/the-south-carolina-bbq-trail-for-those-who-may-be-passing-through-our-state

Actually here is the right link....http://discoversouthcarolina.com/barbecue 

Scroll down to the PDF download.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Kyle Fletcher's in Lowell, NC (close to Gastonia).  Just a coupe of miles off of 85, get there early, cash only. I work in Gastonia, send me a PM, I'll try to meet you for lunch.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    When will you be in the Columbia area?  Maybe a coupla of us in the area could meet you for lunch?  Always a pleasure meeting up with fellow eggheads.  One of the better BBQ joints in Cola IMHO is Doc's BBQ near Williams Brice Stadium.  They have a really good lunch buffet.  I noticed the last time I was there that their pulled pork has gotten noticeably better over the last couple of years. Nice smokiness.  Another good BBQ joint is Southern Belly in Columbia.  They have good sandwiches, but they are lacking in sides.  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Here is the trail map and site address HERE.  http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

There's many trails, see HERE.  

Places I recommend?  

• Skylight Inn, Ayden
    • Allen and Son Barbecue, Chapel Hill (Was actually just crowned best)
    • Stamey's Barbecue, Greensboro
    • Lexington BBQ (Honeymonk), Lexington 
    • Wilber's, Goldsboro

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    When will you be in the Columbia area?  Maybe a coupla of us in the area could meet you for lunch?  Always a pleasure meeting up with fellow eggheads.  One of the better BBQ joints in Cola IMHO is Doc's BBQ near Williams Brice Stadium.  They have a really good lunch buffet.  I noticed the last time I was there that their pulled pork has gotten noticeably better over the last couple of years. Nice smokiness.  Another good BBQ joint is Southern Belly in Columbia.  They have good sandwiches, but they are lacking in sides.  
    Not to mention my favorite here in Cola Palmetto Pig. I love those @Dayl_SC has identified as well.

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have always said I will try this place if I'm ever close.  http://thescottsbbq.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Brew-n-que in Cary which is right outside of Raleigh. Also the pit in downtown Raleigh 
    +1 Pit.

I had some bbq in Greensboro at a BBQ and chicken place.  Chicken was good
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Skylight Inn in Ayden is excellent as is Bum's BBQ also in Ayden. Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville is very good. Sam Jones BBQ is new and is owned by one of the owners of the Skylight Inn. Grady's BBQ in Dudley also a favorite.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am partial to Palmetto Pigin Columbia, Hudsons Smokehouse in Lexington and Farm Boys in Chapin. My buddy bought Farm Boys in January. Went last weekend for first time. Probably the best sides around. BBQ is pretty good too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I will be in Columbia next Thursday (7/7) during the day,  Would love to meet some of you for lunch if people are free.  Thanks to everyone for the responses.  
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I will be in Columbia next Thursday (7/7) during the day,  Would love to meet some of you for lunch if people are free.  Thanks to everyone for the responses.  
    I can meet up. Thursday is the best day....all fresh pork and hash.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    @Chubbs, I just ate at Farm Boys for lunch today. They're always really good. I did notice their fried pork chops are paper thin now though. Don't remember them being that way in the past.  @GreenWave36 and @northGAcock , I'm game if y'all are too. I'm free for lunch on the 7th. And I think I've only eaten at Palmetto Pig once a few years ago. Wouldn't mind trying it again!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @Chubbs, I just ate at Farm Boys for lunch today. They're always really good. I did notice their fried pork chops are paper thin now though. Don't remember them being that way in the past.  @GreenWave36 and @northGAcock , I'm game if y'all are too. I'm free for lunch on the 7th. And I think I've only eaten at Palmetto Pig once a few years ago. Wouldn't mind trying it again!
    I am good regardless if @GreenWave36 is up for it (though i hope he / they are..... I have had a hankering lately for some Que and hash.

• GreenWave36
    Options
    Lunch on the 7th works for me, thanks for setting this up... but it looks like from their website that Palmetto Pig is closed from July 4th-7th.  Let me know another spot to meet.
  • northGAcock
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just called them.....they re-open on Thursday the 7th. We are good. Let's take this to PM and we will zone in on times etc. Looking forward to it. Anyone else interested in joining us....drop us a PM or post here and we will bring you into the PM planning thread.