Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The South Carolina BBQ trail.....for those who may be passing through our state.....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
I found this on another forum and thought it might be worth posting here. I know many have inquired about locations here in South Carolina as you may be traveling to or through. This from the sight owner. 

.....It is a hobby more than anything that arose from my wife's suggestion back in the summer of 2012 that we do a "Summer BBQ Tour."

Haven't published much of anything this fall for a number of reasons, but most of all because I have spent hours and hours working on some updates to the site that I wanted to share with you.

Among other things, we now have a unique, dedicated page for each and every BBQ restaurant in SC. Where applicable, every one of these pages include description, map, address, email, phone, website, menu, social media links, links to reviews on the 3 major review sites, 100 mile BBQ or Top 100 BBQ designation with links to the SCBA reviews, and more.

This took a lot of work, but I'm pretty pleased with it. You can see an example here.

Another thing we've been working on is for years now friends and family have told us we should sell our homemade rubs and sauces, so we have taken the first step in that journey and have opened a store on our site where you can now purchase the same rub we've used and given as gifts for over a decade.

While that's all well and good, but none of that is really why I am writing today.

I am writing because of what we've added to our map.

This weekend, we released a new filter function to the map that allows you to filter your search results to show you all the restaurants in your area that:

1) serve a particular type of sauce: mustard, vinegar, etc.;
2) only accept cash, or take both cards and cash;
3) have been designated 100-mile BBQ by the South Carolina BBQ Association.

So, let's say you're driving to Columbia, and you really have a hankering for some vinegar-based BBQ. Well, do your search with the "Vinegar Pepper" filter selected, and the map will show you only the restaurants around Columbia that serve a vinegar-pepper sauce.

Or say you're traveling near Hemingway and you don't have any cash on you. Simply conduct a search with the "Cards and Cash" filter selected and you won't have to worry that the place you pick only takes cash.

Pretty cool, right?

A future update will allow you to choose multiple filters at once and will allow you to determine if the restaurant is "Open Today," but for now you can only choose one at a time.

We've just published "Long Time No See," a more detailed look at the updates, if you're interested.

Anyway, I hope you find it useful. And, as always, if you ever notice anything that needs to be updated/added/deleted etc. from the site, please let me know. It is nearly impossible to do without help from others.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wait. They have Q in SOUTH Carolina too?! =)

Seriously, that looks like some good info, especially for folks passing through. As far as I can remember, the only Q I've ever had in SC was at Piggie Park in Cola. First I'd ever heard of mustard sauce. Pretty good stuff!

There's also a Barbecue Trail in NC. Doesn't look like it's as detailed or has as many joints. Here it is if anyone's interested... 

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Very cool, i really like it and i will use it on the way to charlotte from Atlanta.

Suwanee, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wait. They have Q in SOUTH Carolina too?! =)

Man I just touched down here in LA. Don't make me get back on a plane.  jJKOC...,,Ha.....don't judge SC BBQ on Piggy Park. While they have great sauce.....there is much better to be had around the state. That said, a little Joe sandwhich is a great snack. Looking forward to checking our the NC trail as well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow