Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finaly Got Around To That Grass-Fed Standing Rib Roast

Options
Dredger
Dredger Posts: 1,468
Okay, I asked many questions about grass-fed versus regular grain fed prime rib. Now I have the answer. It's great! Did it on the Joetisserie and it turned out fantastic

This was a smallish one at 5.5 pounds. Was ready in about 1 hour at 350 dome temp. Fantastic.
Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That does look fantastic !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @johnmitchell, I wasn't sure if it would be good or not, but it surely was. No gamey taste at all. Tasted like the best prime rib I had gotten at any fine dining establishment, but quicker and better and on the egg.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nice
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Dredger I had been curious on the grass fed. That cook looks fabulous. Beautiful cook and presentation. 5 stars.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Beautiful roast. Done to perfection! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks delicious! Can you cook a brisket on that Joetisserie next? Lol 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks, guys. @YukonRon, it was so good. My guy says he feeds his beef minerals before slaughter, so don't know if that accounts for the fantastic taste. I know his filets are fork tender and so was the standing rib roast. @Jameson19, I have a grass-fed brisket in the freezer now, just waiting for the right time to cook it. I still have a lot of left over Memorial Day SRF in there now, lol. We did the SRF brisket in the smoker, but I think we'll do the grass-fed on the Joetisserie. It's smaller and should fit nicely.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That's a great looking hunk of beef.  HOME RUN.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    That looks fantastic! Great cook!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Looks perfectly cooked.   Nice medium rare.   Yum.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I like my beef barely hurt and still mooing, lol. =) But that's just me. Carnivoires unite.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dredger
    Sister, this should say it all:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great!!!! I bet that was good!!  Real good!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Thanks everyone, I like my beef barely hurt and still mooing, lol. =) But that's just me. Carnivoires unite.
    Your cook looks excellent. As for your comment on the beef still mooing - I have a friend that told the waiter in a steak house, "Just dehorn it, wipe its little fanny, and then drag across the fire on each side." I guess that's pretty rare, huh? Lol
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    That made me hungry... very hungry.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm resisting buying one MORE accessory for my Eggs, but I have to say that a slow, rotating direct cook sure seems like a cool option.  Maybe I'll buy one some day.

But I gotta say, that is one gorgeous piece of meat!  Great job!!!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Great looking beef!!!

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The rotisserie thing seems to work well for you. Roast looks great.  Thought about purchasing the quality made Carson Rodizio but, after careful consideration I opted out. I just don't believe I'd use it enough to justify the initial investment. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Dredger said:
    Your cook looks excellent. As for your comment on the beef still mooing - I have a friend that told the waiter in a steak house, "Just dehorn it, wipe its little fanny, and then drag across the fire on each side." I guess that's pretty rare, huh? Lol
    Okay, I used to like to order steak (when I do eat steak out, away from the Egg), "wipe the s**t off it's hoofs and walk it through the kitchen real slow"
    That's rare!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks fantastic, can't wait to try something like this on my Joetisserie.  What temp did you pull it at?
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Looks outstanding!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Truly a thing of beauty....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Fantastic :clap:
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @SGH, you know that means a lot to me and I appreciate it. @SciAggie, your friend and I would get along famously. I only cook beef well done if it is in a braise, like a chuck roast. Otherwise, it's rare for me. @Theophan and @NPHuskerFL, I do enjoy the Joetisserie. Been a rotisserie fan for as long as I can remember and just had to have this one. I use it a lot, but seldom post repeat cooks. Can't get better chicken IMHO. @jaydub58, I found it is very seldom that I can get a steak to my liking anymore at a restaurant, so we just don't go there. @smbishop, I pulled at 128 degrees and let it stand for 10 minutes. I find that grass-fed gets done a little quicker than regular beef. Plus, all of the larger cuts of his beef run on the smallish side compared to regular beef. Don't know why, but I just know it is very tender. Again, thanks everyone for the kind comments. I appreciate it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    Options
    Now that's awesome!  How do you like the Joetisserie?   Is it worth it?
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Thanks @SGH, you know that means a lot to me and I appreciate it.
    Sister I'm always proud to give it to exceptional cooks. This one certainly deserved it. In your short time here, your posts have quickly become one of my favorites. They are always tight and on point. Keep up the awesome work.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Options
    @BrueggeDad, I had seen the pre-release videos and once I was convinced it would work on the egg, we bought it and haven't regretted it at all. I've used a rotisserie inside for many years, so I was very familiar with the principles of cooking on one. Now, add cooking on one over a bed of coals on the egg and you're really got something there. So much fun.

@SGH, thanks again. I always try to post the info that I look for in other posts regarding a cook. I guess I'm a "just the facts, ma'am" type of poster. I'm sure not everyone grew up watching Dragnet. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @Dredger Before we moved to Texas, we used to buy a side of grass fed beef every year or so from a local company.  They gave us a copy of this book.  It is a great book and has a lot of information about cooking with grass fed beef.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @smbishop, just took a look at that book and grabbed the Kindle edition. Looks very interesting and looking forward to digging into it. Very good list of recipes too. For the most part, grass-fed is usually what we buy now.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC