Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg in the garage?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I consider myself somewhat cautious and I would not be worried about a fire, explosion or my open-air, overhead tent melting (as long as there is enough clearance) as a result of fire shooting out the top on a low and slow overnighter. My bigger concern would be wind or something like that compromising the tent. Even with a tent, I would go overboard protecting the controller.
    Fine! We each need to know our comfort level. I'm outa here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    RRP said:
    I consider myself somewhat cautious and I would not be worried about a fire, explosion or my open-air, overhead tent melting (as long as there is enough clearance) as a result of fire shooting out the top on a low and slow overnighter. My bigger concern would be wind or something like that compromising the tent. Even with a tent, I would go overboard protecting the controller.
    Don't leave on my account. I certainly respect the experienced opinions of most others on here, especially those who have had disasters occur. I'm clearly outnumbered on this one anyway. Nothing personal, my friend.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Deek1997
    Deek1997 Posts: 46
    Options
    Since I wouldn't have gotten any sleep tonight with all of this newfound knowledge, I'm just going to get up early after the storm passes and start cooking in my usual driveway spot.  Thank you everyone for the feedback and comments. I also may just try Myron Mixon's method on this one. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Your egg won't get hurt in the rain.  Let her rip Champ.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    RRP said:
    You feeling a bit tender tonite Ron?   Gracious.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The egg doesn't mind the rain. You might, and the electronics of the Flame Boss might, but the egg doesn't care.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Deek1997
    edited May 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    The egg doesn't mind the rain. You might, and the electronics of the Flame Boss might, but the egg doesn't care.

Your egg won't get hurt in the rain.  Let her rip Champ.
    I know, guys. The only good spot to cook, based on what I now know, is on my driveway in the front of my house. I'm more concerned about leaving it out all night and having it get screwed with.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Deek1997 said:
    So where do you guys use your egg?? Carolina Q, that happens with a cap on?On low temp or high temp cooks? I've had mine about a year and have never had that happen, so just wondering the circumstances. 
    My eggs are outside uncovered and roll hard no matter the elements. The only weather related gear I have (and I've had them less than a year) are the smokeware caps. I put my guru in a ziplock if it's raining and that's it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have used a patio umbrella before, because I did not want to get wet during an all nighter. I like the idea of the tent.
    that was a personal comfort level decision by the way. What was really nice was the fact it was vented, so the smoke did not stay captured under the canvas.
    no bad questions, ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Good god no. Put your flame boss control unit in a ziplock bag. The fan will be fine. 
    Exactly what I do. Last time I used the FB it was pouring....this was done without the stainless cap that everyone claims that we need when it is raining....at 225* with the FB my DW is shut...entirely...
  • Deek1997
    Options
    For those interested in "the rest of the story," I kept the Egg on my deck without the tent, and started the cook at 1 AM.  My deck is composite and it had been raining, so I felt safe. 

Flame Boss was a champ all through the night. 225 for 11 hours. I had to add more lump at the 12 hour mark, which surprised me (first cook over 10 hours, so maybe that's normal?) Ended up wrapping at 160 (stall was already going on for 3 hours, so I decided to wrap) and increasing the temp to 250 for the last 4 hours.  Transported in a cooler and blanket (30 minute ride, or so), unwrapped and let sit for 15 minutes and cut. It was pretty good for the first one. Limber, pulled apart nicely and had good flavor. Still have some of the point left. I'm going to try burnt ends after the fact, not sure how they'll turn out. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fwiw, during a low and slow, there is zero danger of a BGE launching nuclear like those pics. 

But in a garage or on a wooden deck is always flirting with disaster

glad you figured out a path to success
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Deek1997 said:
     I had to add more lump at the 12 hour mark, which surprised me (first cook over 10 hours, so maybe that's normal?)
    .(edit)... Still have some of the point left. I'm going to try burnt ends after the fact, not sure how they'll turn out. 
    No, running out of lump at the 12 hour mark is not at all usual.  I go 18 in my large and don't even think about fuel. I am sure it is good for over 20 hours. Where did you fill to?

The point tastes too good for me to make burnt ends :) Its the reason I cook briskets...But I am sure you will enjoy them.  Glad you had a good cook.
    New Orleans LA
  • Deek1997
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Deek1997 said:
     I had to add more lump at the 12 hour mark, which surprised me (first cook over 10 hours, so maybe that's normal?)
    .(edit)... Still have some of the point left. I'm going to try burnt ends after the fact, not sure how they'll turn out. 
    No, running out of lump at the 12 hour mark is not at all usual.  I go 18 in my large and don't even think about fuel. I am sure it is good for over 20 hours. Where did you fill to?

I filled the fire box up, but there was room for more. I made a note to myself to add more next time. I was surprised how well it went after I added more, not sure if it was the Rockwood, or that's just how it goes. Since it was wrapped at that point I wasn't worried about the initial smoke from new lump. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    running out at 12 hours certainly IS unusual.

how full was the egg?  if you went "top of the fire box", that's not enough
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Deek1997
    Options
    running out at 12 hours certainly IS unusual.

how full was the egg?  if you went "top of the fire box", that's not enough
    Yes, top of the fire box. One of the lessons learned. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    From the top of the fire-box to about the top of the fire ring (leaving room for your heat deflector stone) you about double your lump load on a LBGE-thus the long duration cooks without a reload.  Easy lesson learned-enjoy the eats.
    BTW- I am in the enjoy the point-the best part of the brisket.  No burnt ends for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.