Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Victoria Day Point Cook

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Yesterday I spent the day cooking a brisket point. I was going to post in the Memorial Day log but decided against it since it wasn't going to qualify for the SRF draw :)

Thanks to @SGH and @The Cen-Tex Smoker for their advice. 

So here is the brisket info based on what I remember from the Mem day list. 
Size - 6.5 lbs after trimming. See picture. 
Grade - Who knows, maybe select...several grades below Prime is my guess. We don't get much choice for brisket here. 
Price - Too F'n much. See price tag picture. 
Rub - 40% salt, 40% pepper and 10% each (roughly) of paprika and onion powder. 
Time on - 9 am. Was looking at a shorter cook based on comments but that did not work out as you will see. Probably due to the lack of fat compared to what my advisors are used to. 
Foiled at 4:00 pm in a foil pan and covered. Nothing added to pan. 
Temp- pretty consistently held 275 for the whole time. Kicked it up to 300 at the end. 
I pulled it and cut it when it was reading 185-190 but I was getting really variable readings depending on where I probed. Most probed smoothly but some spots were a bit tight but knowing I was gonna cut it and put it back on I chose to go forward. 

Since this was all going for burnt ends, at 5:00 I cut the cubes, sprinkled with more rub and sauced with Stone Smoked Porter sauce that I had been saving since last Summer's Rub and Sauce exchange. 

I did use a water pan below and perhaps I shouldn't have but I have had decent success before using one and I didn't want to change it up this time. 

Charcoal is Maple Leaf lump, awesome lump. Wood was two big chunks of apple.  Not traditional for beef but I have two cut down apple trees so that's what all my cooks get. 

Lets to see if the pictures actually work  

So this is at 1/2 price because the butcher didn't think it would be of interest being fatty. Odd. So yes that's $60 just for the point  We get screwed for brisket prices here  

Pretrimmed to show it was 7.5 lbs before it was cut down  
Here are the trimmings

Rubbed and ready to go on. The pre rubbed picture had a lot of shadows so screw it. Yes it almost looks like a packer...  It's not. 

Cut up and sauced and back on for an hour  So here is the final result...sort of. Very saucy but that's what the wife likes so that's what I did. I'm not stupid...

I found that that one cube would be perfect and soft and the next had a significant amount of chew. We ate supper but I went and put the tighter ones back on for a couple hours. Even then some were a bit tight. 

So what I learned was that a lower grade brisket is definitely not ready in 6 hrs. Some of this was 12 hours and could have maybe used a touch more. I probably would have been better off foiling earlier in the process but I was hoping I wouldn't need to. I was a bit disappointed and I'd give this one maybe 6/10. I have certainly made much better burnt ends when doing a full packer and I think that will be the way I go from here on in.  I mean, they tasted good but just didn't have that beef candy texture I was wanting out of burnt ends. 

Good luck to everyone with their Memorial Day cooks and based on all this info I tried to capture that is gonna be one hell of a long thread next week. 
Thanks for the advice and checking it out. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments