Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Broke down, bought a Blendtec

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
My magic bullet is on the fritz and I figured it was finally time to get a real blender. With Mother's day this coming Sunday and my Birthday just a week later we got ourselves a Refurbished Blendtec Total Blender w/ Wildside Jar, a Mini Wildside Jar and a Twister jar.

Any recommendations for stuff to try when it comes in?  I know I want to make morning smoothies and baby food as that's all I used my Bullet for.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Mopar_Mike
    Mopar_Mike Posts: 1
    Options
    Pretty good selection of things at their site http://www.blendtec.com/recipes
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    We use Vitamix to make salsa all the time. 
    1 large can of peeled tomatoes 
    1 small can of fire roasted tomatoes 
    2 jalapeño 
    1 bunch of cilantro
    2 clove of garlic
    1 onion 
    Then salt, pepper, cumin, sugar, red pepper flakes, squeeze of lime. 
    Make as chunky or as smooth as you like. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I'm thinking it will make short work of my SV Mashed potatoes.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    They would end up quite "soupy" in the blend tec for the amount of liquid you would have to put in there to get it to cycle through.  I think we have a bout 5,000 cycles on ours. . . we use it all the time.  Mostly for smoothies.  We make almond milk with it as well.  Congrats on the purchase.  Ours has given us years of service.  We would like to get some of the additional jars/containers you speak of.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I think they will end up as paste in the Blendtec.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    texaswig said:
    We use Vitamix to make salsa all the time. 
    1 large can of peeled tomatoes 
    1 small can of fire roasted tomatoes 
    2 jalapeño 
    1 bunch of cilantro
    2 clove of garlic
    1 onion 
    Then salt, pepper, cumin, sugar, red pepper flakes, squeeze of lime. 
    Make as chunky or as smooth as you like. 

I make a similar salsa in my Vitamix.
    I use pickled Jalapeno peppers with carrots/onions.
    Makes for a very good salsa 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Is blendtec the one with the guy who puts all sorts of crazy stuff in it to show "it will blend" ... i said that in the tone the guy from Forged in Fire uses.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

Just a smoothie vessel here since my kids are a little older. Neither one of my 2 kids ever ate a jar of store baby food thanks to the blendtec.

I will be sure to try the salsa recipes posted.

Seattle, WA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Should be all the blender you'd need buddy!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Nope on the mashed spuds.  ( I use a ricer)

Congrats on the new blender.   Ive got a vitamix and use it 5-6 days a week.

Smoothies, guacamole,  salsa, sauces,, grinding spices and mixing rubs.
    Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    As others have said not good it over whips them and them become almost a paste. We tried this at the GA mountain eggfest a couple years back and ended up scraping them.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Also a big fan of the ricer Scott.  You should try it brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Ok, so the potatoes are a no/go... How about making soups using just the blender? Anyone do that?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Don't have the blend tec but I have done some serious tomato basil cream soup with our WS?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm in the vitamix camp. I make soup often.  Check out YouTube for good ideas.  Enjoy.
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Ok, so the potatoes are a no/go... How about making soups using just the blender? Anyone do that?
    Soups work great!  Roasted tomato soup!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    So I see lots of videos where people throw in whole apples, like core and all. Is that just to show off the blender? Or is there really just no point in trimming it down? Or maybe an actual health benefit?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This is exactly right.  Ricer is the only way to go for mashed potatoes, but get a good one so you can lean into it.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    love our blendtec.  over 2000 blends so far.  still going strong.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So you guys are hiring a dude with a hopped up Honda to mash your taters?  Genius!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    So you guys are hiring a dude with a hopped up Honda to mash your taters?  Genius!
    Drops mic and walks off stage...yes, genius.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Ernie has had hers for a few years...she loves the thing.  Bit noisy....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Doesn't take much to over-work potatoes in the mashing process.  They get gooey - like warm toffee, and dense. 

Blenders are great.  Blend up some eggs for a great frittata.  Crepe batter.  Soups, bla bla bla.  Cell phones are fun. Make sure you charge the battery first.  ;)  
    Options

The powerful blenders take a little practice on the things you want to leave a little chunky.  Once you master it, it can do a lot of tasks.

Tonight I used the Vitamix tonight to make some marinara sauce.  Tried my hand at homemade pasta.  Turned out great, but some smoked meatballs would have put it over the top.

Phoenix 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just ordered a vitamix for my wife, Mother's Day sale... Only cost me $550 for smoothies  :o
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    :) Um, BGE Forum and saving money are diametrically opposed. $550.00 for three smoothies, will be a bargain compared to the other items mentioned in here.
    This should not be a surprise to anyone by now.
    Drink the smoothies.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I just ordered a vitamix for my wife, Mother's Day sale... Only cost me $550 for smoothies  :o
    I spent the same for bourbon slushies! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    blasting said:

The powerful blenders take a little practice on the things you want to leave a little chunky.  Once you master it, it can do a lot of tasks.

Tonight I used the Vitamix tonight to make some marinara sauce.  Tried my hand at homemade pasta.  Turned out great, but some smoked meatballs would have put it over the top.

When I first got my Blendtec I put a batch of my marinara in it thinking it would really "smooth it out".

My fault, but the Blendtec whipped it so well it turned into a foamy kind of thing. It might have made an interesting thing for some wild molecular gastronomy kind of dish but just wasn't any good on pasta.

After that experience I decided to stay with the stick blender in the future if I wanted my marinara a bit less chunky. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Legume said:
    bgebrent said:
    This is exactly right.  Ricer is the only way to go for mashed potatoes, but get a good one so you can lean into it.
    You're supposed to cook the potatoes first.  =)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset