Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why go Green?

Options
Hello. I am upgrading my old propane smoker and I was thinking of getting a Kamado style grill. I like the idea of having a smoker, grill, and oven. Besides making BBQ, love making pizzas, roasts, grilling meats and vegetables. Getting a Kamado seems like a great fit. I have done some research on line and I see there are 2 very popular brands. I’m trying to decide…a Big Green Egg or a Kamado Joe? Please tell me why the BGE is a better choice. I have never owned a ceramic grill so any advice would be appreciated.
Orlando, FL 

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I cannot speak to a KJ, but they both a similar in quality. BGE has been around a long time and has dealers all over, which helps with warranty issues. If you can find/purchase a demo egg from one of the many egg fests going on this time of year you'll save yourself $300ish easy and still have the warranty. Where do you live?
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    They are both great honestly. I don't buy stock in bashing other products that for all intents and purposes perform similarly.

But BGE warranty is great and so is the community.  Eggfests are fun and the people are even better.
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Options
    I live in Orlando, FL. One of the local dealers is offering pre buy demos form the Central FL Eggfest, however that isn't until November. The price isn't much better than new at my local Ace Hardware
    Orlando, FL 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    Check out your BGE dealer and your Kamado Joe dealer.  Go with the one you like better.

They are comparable grills.  The BGE community, however, is heads and tails better.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I'm in Central Fl also.  Check with Wassi Meats in Melbourne.  I got my XL from them at an Egg Fest. They sponsor Egg Fest and may be able to do you a better deal then Ace.  As far as BGE, the warranty is what sold me. And this community is so helpful.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Your dollars - your decision - but since you asked you might want to check the KJ forum for the support, cooking fests, warranty in detail, dealer network, and then for kicks and giggles look at which company has been around longer. That MAY swing you to green, but if not I wish you happy cooking on whatever ceramic you end up with. One last thought - saving $100 up front isn't always a savings in the long run. Color me green for 16 years now with 4 BGEs, so yes I drank the Kool-Aide because I believe in the product.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I personally went for one that has been around longer. The BGE intrigued me more and for me personally and my mindset the KJ was a knockoff of the BGE. I went with what I liked and I loved the Green color more, and this community came leaps and bounds compare to my questions about a KJ.

Either way you will learn eventually whichever way you go and you will still love it. Just go with your gut and not your wallet. :) 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm an old guy, and this is probably just silly, but I feel a certain loyalty to the "original."  Sure, people have been cooking in kamados for a very long time, but I think it's true that the Big Green Egg guy was the first to take what had been an ancient rice cooker and reinvent it with modern ceramics that are very much better adapted to what people now use kamado cookers for than the old terra cotta style, and came up with some things that led to what has become sort of a revolution in home charcoal cooking.  Other people have gotten into the act, now, but unless there's a really huge reason to prefer one over another, I like sticking with the one that seems to me, anyway, to have reinvented the kamado, brought it into the modern age.  I love my Big Green Eggs (I have a Medium and a Large), and if I add any more, they'll be green!  :)
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Community of BGE is better. Dealer right by me. That's why I went with them. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Guys who own KJ's wear Jorts with Crocs. 

I kid. Both very similar. Lots of guys on here are switch hitters...and own both brands. You can't go wrong but you may feel a little on the outside if you get in to all the eggfest etc. I wouldn't make a decision based on that but they are a riot and I highly recommend you get involved in the greater BGE community no matter which you choose.

I think in this case your local dealer might be the deal breaker. Since these have a lifetime warranty, having a good dealer is a relationship that matters and will matter for years to come. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Its all about price point as well.....I bought my BGE from my fathers neighbor a few days ago and LOVE IT for small cooks (easy to start and shutdown)....the ONLY issue i have found with the BGE cooker is cook area....you don't get that much...same with the Komodo Joe...I guess it really boils down to what you need.....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Warranty and support
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Rad5
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do feel there is a bigger green community and I like that. I was on the KJ forum and there was a lot less activity. There is a local dealer that carries both grills and I will check them out, however I feel my mind is already made up.
    Orlando, FL 
  • OneNole03
    OneNole03 Posts: 93
    Options
    Wassis just had their eggfest this past Saturday. I would call to see if they had any specials they could honor.

Who is hosting the one in November?
  • Rad5
    Options

I saw it advertised on Travel Country's site. It's Nov 5, 2016

http://centralfloridafalleggfest.com/

Orlando, FL 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Rad5, If you are coming from a large grill you will probably want the XL.  I went from a gas grill and Weber Smokey Mountain to an XL and love it.  I still have the WMS for when I need more space and  am doing shorter cooks like ribs sometimes.  I look at the Kamado Joe, the Primo and the BGE and got the best deal from my dealer who is about 4 miles away and treats you like family when you come in.  They all are good, but as others have said I feel the BGE community is better, helps you out and is a lot more fun.  Good luck and either way you can still ask for advice here.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    I live in Orlando, FL. One of the local dealers is offering pre buy demos form the Central FL Eggfest, however that isn't until November. The price isn't much better than new at my local Ace Hardware

I went from a Weber gas to BGE 9 years ago and have never looked back..... 100% satisfied with BGE. You can get a great deal on a new one at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest next month. It's an awesome fest and worth the drive.

http://mountainegg.com/

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    KJ forum will not have a recipe for bourbon slushies
    That cracked me up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    As everyone will tell you it's a personal choice. Is it the best out there? NO! You want the Cadillac then you should be looking at the kamado kamodo. Is the egg the best at everything? NO again. It is a wonderful ALL Around cooker that most will be thrilled with. Does it smoke better then my meat monster? Not even close. Does it do better at pizza then a brick oven. Nope again. But unless you want to spen the money I still think for value it is the best cooker someone can buy for a all around cooker all in one.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i own both and believe you will be happy with either.  buy whichever one tickles your fancy and not your wallet
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have both a komado joe and big green egg, I really like both and you can't really go wrong. I find the Joe comes with a lot of great accessories,
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    Try millers hardware in winter park.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I cook on KJs and have no regrets with my decision.  
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    A little more on Miller's hardware and no, my last name isn't Miller. They have been there for 71 years. They are a very large BGE dealer and stand behind everything they sell. They have lots of accessories and a full line of lodge cast iron. They normally offer a large package which includes LBGE, nest, plate setter, and a large bag of bge lump for $949. They have been running a $50 dollar off coupon for a while which means $899. They also sell 4Rivers rubs and sauces along with others. Check them out.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have both and they are equally good.  KJ does come with more accessories to start.  Ultimately, I would go with the dealer you like the best.  You can still be part of this community if your cooker is a different color.  People won't shun you...too much.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Rad5
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    A little more on Miller's hardware and no, my last name isn't Miller. They have been there for 71 years. They are a very large BGE dealer and stand behind everything they sell. They have lots of accessories and a full line of lodge cast iron. They normally offer a large package which includes LBGE, nest, plate setter, and a large bag of bge lump for $949. They have been running a $50 dollar off coupon for a while which means $899. They also sell 4Rivers rubs and sauces along with others. Check them out.

I visit Millers quite often. They would be my dealer of choice. I love supporting local small family owned businesses.
    Orlando, FL 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    And you won't get "pants" at a BGE event.

Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you do, it's because someone had too many bourbon slushies and fell and grabbed onto you for help.