Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you Egg this?

Options
2»

Comments

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    All I know is that it's a snake with a triangular head. That usually means poisonous, no?

LBGE in PHX

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    After looking at that link i think he's right about it being cottonmouth. They usually look black around here. 

Little Rock, AR

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    All I know is that it's a snake with a triangular head. That usually means poisonous, no?

yes @malligator

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    After looking at that link i think he's right about it being cottonmouth. They usually look black around here. 
    Yeah they are here too except when they are young then they have patterns like the pics.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Yeah they are here too except when they are young then they have patterns like the pics.
    Their pattern darkens as they get older (to the point of sometimes looking almost completely black but it varies). But it is without question a cottonmouth.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    My parents lived on a canal and occasionally one would come up onto the dock.  Rather than shoot a hole in the dock, my father would lay down in the grass and fire his shotgun in a way that would blast the snake into the canal with the force.  There was relatively little damage to the dock - a few skid marks and embedded pellets. 

Note: This only works if you have uninhabited woods across the canal. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    The inside of this snakes mouth was so white. He was very aggressive not afraid of anything. He slithered back into the swamp where he came from. Looked like a cottonmouth to me.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I could not eat a snake. I know people that do, but I just couldn't do it. They freak me out. I don't kill rat snakes or king snakes, but we have a lot of copperheads that end up in our yard and pool. 

A few rattlesnakes as well. I have no mercy on them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • LRW
    Options
    @johnkitchensI agree would not be my favorite.
    My Foodtography

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I don't mess with snakes.  I kill them.  ESPECIALLY snakes with a triangle shaped head.  I would have blown him/her into next week.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Ain't no way that thing, or any of his relatoves are gettin on my egg!
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Viper. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Scottie would probably fry him up and make a gravy. In the style of dixie, of course. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    LRW said:
    The inside of this snakes mouth was so white. He was very aggressive not afraid of anything. He slithered back into the swamp where he came from. Looked like a cottonmouth to me.
    sounds like one to me too. They are aggressive as hell around here. I guess I've never seen a young one like that- only the big super dark ones. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yes. I have but, it's not in the regular rotation. They're ok but, nothing to write home about. Have had fried, grilled, baked and braised. Fried and grilled seemed to be best. Plenty of them here in our neck of the woods. A long length of 3/4"-1" PCV and a quick whack on the head & it's lights out. No gun necessary unless you feel froggy and want snake pieces. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Yes. I have but, it's not in the regular rotation. They're ok but, nothing to write home about. Have had fried, grilled, baked and braised. Fried and grilled seemed to be best.
    Just curious - Where is the meat on a snake? Is it the tail? Most people probably don't know this but a snake has a hidden anus that extends outward, but closes making it cylindrical.  So I assume what is edible is beyond that - right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    We have a place in Kitty Hawk. Where were you in the OBX?
    Carrollton, Va
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP pretty much the entire thing. At least that's how we did it. 
    https://youtu.be/PovCPDqeDjE
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    @RRP pretty much the entire thing. At least that's how we did it. 
    https://youtu.be/PovCPDqeDjE
    LMAO!!!!!!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LRW
    Options
    @Chief9 I am in Corolla at the Currituck Club
    My Foodtography