Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Catfish

Good stuff.   One with Prudhomme's blackening season, and one with DizzyPig Raging River.   

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Looks great but curious about the raging river one. That stuff is kinda sweet did it not get a little burnt or bitter when blackening it?

Little Rock, AR

• I was worried about the same thing.   I've only used the home made Prudhomme mix until that one.   Overall I'd still go with Prudhomme, but the DP was very good as well I thought.   Definitely wasn't bitter.  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Well it looks damn good. 

Little Rock, AR

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Anything with blackened seasoning is a hit in my book! Looks great.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Looks like a winner to me brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    Very nice.  I bought a small jar of prudhomme blackening seasoning recently and I love it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Mmmm... Catfish....
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Good stuff.   One with Prudhomme's blackening season, and one with DizzyPig Raging River.   

That looks  awesome, what temperature did you use? 
    Summerville, SC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice man!  Great looking catfish.  Cooked my favorite way.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Not a fish eater myself.....but that looks d@mn good to me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Nice looking plate!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,595
    That looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Ok, that's definitely on the list of cooks to do soon. Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Man, I love blackened Fish! That looks awesome. I swear I would eat my pet's chew toy if it were blackened like that catfish.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that looks great.  Dumb question but did you cook it in a cast iron skillet?   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    great cook . . can you walk us through your process?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,836
    I'd snag that and reel it in any day.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • My prep:   Dip the filets into clarified butter, then hit with the seasoning (I normally mix up Prudhomme's).   I use a 12" CI and let it sit on the grill at 500-550 for about 20 minutes before adding the catfish.   Cook each side 2-3 minutes, done.  

After this last batch, I noticed this in my CI though...

At risk of threadjacking my own post, should this be reseasoned?   It's smooth to touch, but just won't come off.   Definitely can't be rust because my aftercare is always rinse/scrub with warm water and brush (no soap), light layer of oil applied, into a warm oven to dry.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    Thanks, nice bookmark.  As for your cast iron . . that always happens to me.  I just use hot water and some abrasive (i have a stainless steel mesh CI cleaner) to clean the best I can, dry 100%, put on the oven, then rub some high temp oil into it with a paper towel.  Maybe wait another 5 mins, and add little more oil, rub into pours . . let it cool and use next time.  No biggie.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    looks like carbon buildup.  keep cooking on it and dont worry about it or get it hot, drop some water in it, and scrape it while the water is steaming.  or try salt and a little water to scour it off.  personally, i would just cook more bacon in it.  bacon fixes everything
  • Thanks @NDG and @tonyled   Thus far I've mostly done smashed burgers, blackened catfish, and some fried stuff.   I haven't done bacon yet, but need to.   You start the bacon off when the pan is still cold right?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
      You start the bacon off when the pan is still cold right?
    thats what i do