Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping

slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
Going camping this weekend... And I thought I would ask.

Whats the one thing you always forget to bring camping, or must bring?

tying to get my list together .

going to ginnie springs FL

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Well, If you are going to Ginnie Springs, bring your snorkel, facemask, and underwater camera.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mini?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    MM, pork loin, corn potatoes, and a killer Chianti.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Mickey said:
    Mini?
    I'm seriously considering it. But I don't have the handler yet. Guess I could use the regular stand 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Toilet paper. No joke. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    SGH said:
    Toilet paper. No joke. 
    You could just get a RTIC and crap in it. 
  • SGH
    Lit said:
    SGH said:
    Toilet paper. No joke. 
    You could just get a RTIC and crap in it. 
    Oh brother Lit. And to think, I had finally quit messing with the Yeti folks ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2016
    Garbage bags
    paper towels
    toilet paper
    knife
    cutting board
    bug spray
    deodorant (the spray kind, that counts as a shower)
    matches/lighter
    fire starters
    ear plugs (if you are tent camping in an RV place the generators will be running).
    coffee pot
    coffee
    backup coffee pot
    backup coffee

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Cases of beer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Extra batteries if your air mattress pump runs on batteries. A good air mattress. Lots of lump. Book on how to cook manatee?
  • SGH
    Lit said:
    Extra batteries 
    This^^^^^^^^^^ concerned me until I read the rest of the words ;)

Status- Standing by.

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    WeberWho said:
    Cases of beer
    How can you forget the alcohol? that is the first thing I pack!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am going with bacon. There is absolutely nothing better than the smell of bacon (in the morning, afternoon or night) cooking in the great out doors. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sunscreen.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    except for food im good for a week or two with whats already in the truck =) fishing gear...check, clothes...check, booze...check, lump...check, ice auger(dont need it right now)...check. anti freeze,oil,brakefluid,hose clamps, tools, spare grate, propane bottles, blackstone griddle, sunglasses, hats, wool pants, shorts, tp, suntan lotion, sunburn spray, bug spray....its all in the truck every day of my life. ax, hatchet, knife, chainsaw...check B) gin, vodka, rye...check. theres more in there if i took inventory
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    One trip I forgot the sleeping bags.  We made some bags out of tarps and had a fine weekend anyway.

Another time I was clearing a fallen tree off the trail on the way into the area, and I sliced right through my lower eyelid.  No first aid kit!  Duct tape to the rescue
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Pelican(s)
    XL Chillin Brew(s)
    BS 17" Tailgater

blasting said:
    One trip I forgot the sleeping bags.  We made some bags out of tarps and had a fine weekend anyway.

Another time I was clearing a fallen tree off the trail on the way into the area, and I sliced right through my lower eyelid.  No first aid kit!  Duct tape to the rescue
    Forgot my tent for all of RAGBRAI...picked up a 5 dollar roll of milled plastic at the Ace paint dept....too cheap to buy an overpriced Coleman.

It was a rewarding journey, and weather fully coorperated.  The old guys in my club were having a cow about it.  Highlight was sleeping on the banks of Okoboji.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I think a lateral file cabinet would be nicer.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I highly recommend one of these for camping, home, tackle box, work shop or anyplace where you can get badly cut. They are cheap insurance!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    If you are going to Ginnie springs on the weekend take condoms. It used to get pretty wild with college kids
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Can you bring guns where you are going?  Guns and camping are fun. Tannerite?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    A salt shaker.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    In addition to above:

Flip flops if you will be taking a shower in a public place and the Bug-A-Salt:  http://bugasalt.com/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Garbage bags...can never have to many.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    A great attitude! Enjoy!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    matches
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Depends on where you are going and for how long. Car camping gear, we live like royalty, which means luxuries like a generator and a MM. Backpacking, um, not so much. Weight is the issue, and trust me, the only thing that weighs nothing is nothing. Spartan accomodations are the rule. (No MM). Since I enjoy both, I've the years I have managed to build the needed supplies for both, and store them in totes to just pull of the shelf, put in the truck and go, at a moments notice.
    Preparation is the key. Having fun is what it is all about.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    You don't bring your MM backpacking?!?!?!

:lol:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure