Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets In Cast Iron Happened Last Night

Options
Dredger
Dredger Posts: 1,468
We do filets fairly often, but instead of using Grill Grates, we chose cast iron instead. We will do this again.

Dome showed around 450 and IR gun had the CI showing 618. Perfect medium rare. We like cast iron on the egg a lot. Didn't get a sliced shot because the natives were restless and hungry, lol.
Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    oh man..... I need a filet soon

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    You rocked it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @bhedges and @Foghorn. We all know how easy it is for the egg to make our cooks look good. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have debated the grill grates....Sounds like you enjoy the CI just as much?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Dredger
    Options
    @bhedges1987, I have to say that I do, but steaks are the only thing I have used the CI with so far except for veggies, so holding out judgement for burgers and chicken for now. The Grill Grates are wonderful for burgers and have three sections, so you can use one, two, or all three with plenty of clearance and you can flip it over and use the flat side for veggies and anything else you don't want falling through a regular grid. Our beef is grass-fed and very lean, so if you used regular ground beef from the supermarket, it might have too much fat to use a CI skillet. Don't know for sure, so maybe someone else with more experience using CI for burgers can chime in. I'm currently looking for a large CI skillet to try burgers for a crowd, but haven't found one that I wouldn't have to cut the handle off of. I have a Lodge 14 inch pizza pan that came with our stove, but there is very little clearance on the egg and that makes me a little nervous about using it in the egg. If anyone else has experience with that size, I would love to know how it worked out.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hard to beat cast iron for most anything. Rocking those morsels of delight right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @northGAcock, they were delicious for sure. Lovin some cast iron.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Freaking awesome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those steaks look great. I'm glad you mentioned the IR temp. I usually stay quiet about searing on CI; I am generally not as happy with my results on CI as I am with searing over brutally hot lump. Your cook makes me want to try again. Was any fat on the CI or was it dry when you added the steaks?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thank you @henapple, @SciAggie, I rubbed the steaks down with olive oil and added salt, pepper, and garlic salt. No extra fat on the skillet after it was hot. Just threw them on with the olive oil that was already on them. Two minutes per side and shut the egg down. After another minute, I took them off and they were perfect. I've just gotten into CI cooking and use the IR gun regularly to check temps on the kitchen clock, gasp! The edges are usually cooler than the center by about 100 degrees. Just like to know what I've got going on. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Extraordinary cook.  Nice job!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969, we enjoyed it very much.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nicely done!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Looks great.  How long did you cook the steaks for?  We are doing sous vide NY strips and finishing on CI tonight.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Great looking meal @Dredger
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    CI seems to be the deal for Filet. Beautiful presentation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @bluebird66, @bgebrent, @blasting, and @YukonRon I really appreciate the comments. I am enjoying working some with cast iron, especially on the egg.

@eggnewtoy, I did about 2 minutes per side, then closed the egg down and left them on for about another minute. That crust was fantastic. Makes me want to egg everything in cast iron, lol. 

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Looks terrific, but I have to ask, instead of using a pan, why not just get cast iron grill grates. I have them for my medium egg and would not part with them, the conventional grill grates just don't do if for me...but, that's just me.
  • Dredger
    Options
    @fleyerdoc, I have cast iron grill grates on my Camp Chef propane powered grill, but on the egg, I usually do 3 steaks and that is an easy clean up and reseason for a CI pan. Can't beat the smoked flavor of an egg. Don't get me wrong, I like the convenience of the Camp Chef, but the egg has no equal.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    Those steaks look fantastic!  I love finishing reverse seared steaks in a cast iron pan.  I use a more traditional pan though; which allows for basting with aromatics, etc.
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm trying the chimney starter reverse sear next time.  Just watched a video, but old age is setting in - can't remember who did it, but the chimney won the throw down.

Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Dredger....MMMmmmmm! Looks Awesome !!

I just haven't been able to pull the steaks off the grate to the CI, yet. But, after seeing these good looking steaks, I'm encouraged to make the move !!!!

I just bought an IR gun last week, haven't even had a chance to unpackage it yet....hopefully within the next couple of days. As you said, I think it will be fun examining various temps at different locations.

Thanks for posting...I appreciate it !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @NERVOUS. I like cooking them hot and fast. I like the crust from this method. Here's a sliced shot of another cook I did using the same method.

I hear ya about the old age @blasting. I get CRS a lot more and more often these days, lol. Thanks @dldawes1, the IR gun takes the guesswork out of temp control.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @Dredger..looks great !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @dldawes1, this is the only method we use for steaks now. Perfect every time. Gotta love that egg.  :)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What no Joetisserie :wink:
    I kid. Looks like you nailed it. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dredger
    Options
    Lol, thanks @ NPHuskerFL. I haven't figured out a way to use CI on the spinner yet, but you know I love my toys, so I'm working on it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC