Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - At least my phone has stopped ringing...

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
Unusual election year all the way around.
Normally the individual party presidential candidates are secured by the time the primary/caucus system gets here to Utard; not this year, for either party.  
I'm in a weird position as I support Sanders, but because I live in utard I've re-registered as a republican so I can vote in the primaries (you can't vote in the republican primary unless your registered, and in utard the biggest chance you have of removing an incumbent is during the primaries; once it's repub against democrat it's over unless you live in Salt Lake County (SLC, which leans demo)).  
Phone's been ringing off the hook, occasionally I answer and it's sometimes fun:
Caller: Who are you voting for on Tuesday?
Me: John Kasich.
Caller: Oh, ah, I have you down as a donator to the Bernie Sanders campaign....
Me: I am (I then explain my twisted logic as I have above)
Two of the callers understood what I was doing. One girl was hopelessly confused (I'm betting an out-of-state caller). Such fun!  

At least the TV commercials, and the phone calls, are done for now. Starting to understand what my relatives in Iowa have to go through...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    I grew up in NH, still have a lot of family there.  Half of them have met damn near every pol who's walked through the state.  They are inundated up there.  Most of them unplug their TVs and phones for a couple of months leading up to the primary.  

It's funny here in NC, but we really weren't swamped by calls or TV ads.  Maybe because it wasn't all that competitive on either side, I'm not sure.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I don't regret admitting here that I NEVER answer ANY call that hasn't been identified via caller ID and if "you" think "you" can fool me you are wasting your time. I'd rather pick up aluminum cans to get the money to pay for caller ID to even answer even non-political period cold calls. I spent a career before the advent of caller ID and I "had" to answer telephone calls 24/7. My privacy is now MINE and it is GOLDEN!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Election season = Netflix season
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    My privacy is now MINE
    I was going to make a libtard joke here, but I have had my medication and thought fukk it, maybe tomorrow. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't regret admitting here that I NEVER answer ANY call that hasn't been identified via caller ID and if "you" think "you" can fool me you are wasting your time. I'd rather pick up aluminum cans to get the money to pay for caller ID to even answer even non-political period cold calls. I spent a career before the advent of caller ID and I "had" to answer telephone calls 24/7. My privacy is now MINE and it is GOLDEN!
    As I said in my OP, I'm only occasionally answering the phone, more for fun (beer helps).   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Watching CNN, it looks like the turnout in all three western states is incredible, much more than anyone expected!  That's a good thing, no matter who you're supporting.  :triumph: 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    My privacy is now MINE
    I was going to make a libtard joke here, but I have had my medication and thought fukk it, maybe tomorrow. 
    not sure what you were trying to say, but if you don't ID yourself I'm not answering! You might laugh at me for this comment, but I know good and well the RNC has put a bounty on my head for any sum b*tch who can reach me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    The joke wasn't about you my friend. I should have been more clear, my apologies. It was a joke about liberals in general, not you.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    RRP said:

I'm even worse @RRP  

I have the blocking mode set on my phone where it doesn't ring or alert me to messages between 8pm and 7am.  Technology is terrific, but I'm not a slave to it.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Botch   So as a Bernie supporter, is your strategy to vote for kasich so that trump is the nominee?
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    @Jeepster47 used to let me answer the phone.  I was great a quizing people and then hanging up.  Even hung up on his boss once.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I grew up in NH too. The phonecalls are unreal. You can literally meet any pol you want if you want. It's not an exaggeration that they shake every hand in the state. Twice.

We (wife and I) were watching Letterman one year, maybe twenty plus years ago. 

He tossed all the New Hampshire phone books in a giant tumbler and rotated them thing a few times and plucked one out. 

He opened it, flipped thru and stabbed at a name and dialed it. 

It was my wife's uncle. 

now. I would say ten calls a day would be a low estimate. And this was pre robo-call. They were all humans. It was hard, but we were still semi polite back then. 

well, my wife's uncle answers. Letterman says, "hi. This is Dave Letterman calling from New York and I wanted to ask you some questions about the presidential primary!"  And all we heard was an angry reply and bleeping and a slammed handset (back when you could still slam a phone).

her uncle had no idea who letterman was and was damn sick of the phone calls at that point

NH and MA share local tv and we get ads for both states all season long. Sucks pondwater
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]