Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Heading to Lockhart TX tomorrow

Options
Heading to Lockhart tomorrow and looking for opinions. Smitty's or blacks. I have been to Franklins and want to try some other places. Just can't decide which one. Thanks 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    To me both are okay, keep on driving 30 more minutes and go to city market in Luling.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Just go to La BBQ. Not sure how far away it is

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Actually I think snows is in Lockhart. Go there

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't love any of their food but the trip is always great. That being said, Smittys is my go-to down there. Actually, Sausage and ribs are excellent at Smitty's but I judge BBQ by brisket first. There is no good brisket in Lockhart. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Sausage and sides at Blacks were excellent. 

@The Cen-Tex Smoker , have you tried Freedmen's on San Gabriel? 
    I enjoyed their brisket (but am not an expert).   Their coleslaw and
    Smoked Banana Pudding were delicious.  
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/freedmens-austin?select=PML3rUArkTcqePsKuXVu_g
    Parking is tricky...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Sausage and sides at Blacks were excellent. 

@The Cen-Tex Smoker , have you tried Freedmen's on San Gabriel? 
    I enjoyed their brisket (but am not an expert).   Their coleslaw and Smoked Banana Pudding were delicious.  
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/freedmens-austin?select=PML3rUArkTcqePsKuXVu_g
    Parking is tricky...

I haven't. I just read about them in some review and they are getting some love. 
  • injnear
    injnear Posts: 6
    Options
    I eaten at both and Blacks was better to me. Sausage and brisket had more flavor.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i go there a LOT and here are my preferences in order

kruez's  - prime rib, pork chops, brisket, sausage (best sausage i have ever eaten)  also try the sauerkraut 
    smittys  - brisket, sausage, pork chop
    blacks - brisket, beef rib, best burnt ends ever also try the smoked cabbage
    chisholm trail - all you can eat sides

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't love any of their food but the trip is always great. That being said, Smittys is my go-to down there. Actually, Sausage and ribs are excellent at Smitty's but I judge BBQ by brisket first. There is no good brisket in Lockhart. 

Wait...what? Not being argumentative. I'm truly curious. I am a neophyte and, in my mind, Lockhart is BBQ nirvana. Of course, here in AZ all I seem to be able to get for "bbq brisket" is...quite literally...pot roast. All the brisket I can find is completely brown and soggy. If Lockhart is just okay, I can't even imagine what good tastes like. Now I'm determined to find out.

LBGE in PHX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Wait...what? Not being argumentative. I'm truly curious. I am a neophyte and, in my mind, Lockhart is BBQ nirvana. Of course, here in AZ all I seem to be able to get for "bbq brisket" is...quite literally...pot roast. All the brisket I can find is completely brown and soggy. If Lockhart is just okay, I can't even imagine what good tastes like. Now I'm determined to find out.
    Trust me- it's average at best. There are 5 places in Austin with better. 2 of them are in trailers.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Blacks but i'd drive the 15 minutes to Luling.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• malligator
    Options

Trust me- it's average at best. There are 5 places in Austin with better. 2 of them are in trailers.

Is this a relatively recent phenomenon? I haven't been to the area since 2004ish when the most popular BBQ in Austin was the Salt Lick.

LBGE in PHX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Is this a relatively recent phenomenon? I haven't been to the area since 2004ish when the most popular BBQ in Austin was the Salt Lick.

The austin thing is new but the average bbq in lockhart is not.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    We South Texans live in rarified air where brisket is concerned. Lockhart/Luling was the Mecca for many years. It seems that quality in Lockhart has dropped slightly while quality in Austin has improved significantly. Keep in mind that these places still draw crowds and they are all in the same town of 12000 people. Kreuz seats over 200...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did the full run last summer just to make sure. We did Kruetz, Smitty's, Blacks, City Market Lulling. All places i love. They all have some things they do well but none of them have good brisket. Kreutz cooks them at 500 degrees for 4 hours, I think Smitty's does too since they are the same family. Blacks does CAB briskets but they sucked when we were there. Even the burnt ends were bad- how the hell do you do that? City Market cooks fast on gassers and you could taste it. Great place, great sauce but crap brisket.

When I go to Lockhart/Lulling I get sausage (they all make it and have been for 1000 years- it's good), ribs, giant pork chops, chicken etc. I love the day trip there and I have fun every time I go. I've just stopped ordering brisket.

• malligator
    Options
    I did the full run last summer just to make sure. We did Kruetz, Smitty's, Blacks, City Market Lulling. All places i love. They all have some things they do well but none of them have good brisket. Kreutz cooks them at 500 degrees for 4 hours, I think Smitty's does too since they are the same family. Blacks does CAB briskets but they sucked when we were there. Even the burnt ends were bad- how the hell do you do that? City Market cooks fast on gassers and you could taste it. Great place, great sauce but crap brisket.

When I go to Lockhart/Lulling I get sausage (they all make it and have been for 1000 years- it's good), ribs, giant pork chops, chicken etc. I love the day trip there and I have fun every time I go. I've just stopped ordering brisket.

Agree about the hot links. I've found some decent brisket around the southwest, but no one has anything that resembles an actual hot link. Brat or polish sausage? Yes. Hot link? No.

LBGE in PHX

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited March 2016
    Options
    remember, everything is subjective.  while i have had zero problems with the quality of brisket at any of the 4 in lockhart, i have had nothing but sub par food served at luling every time i have went, yet several have mentioned it in this thread.  this doesnt mean any of us are wrong, just different strokes.  i also live close enough to all of them that i go often, very often actually 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    tonyled said:
    remember, everything is subjective.  while i have had zero problems with the quality of brisket at any of the 4 in lockhart, i have had nothing but sub par food served at luling every time i have went, yet several have mentioned it in this thread.  this doesnt mean any of us are wrong, just different strokes.  i also live close enough to all of them that i go often, very often actually 

"everything is subjective"- couldnt be truer.. me I am not a huge fan of brisket anyway.. I know blasphemy.  I will tell you the brisket expert in my family is this one- here she is at City Market with a stamp of approval.  I will say in the 20+ years I have been going through Lockhart/ Luling things have changed, I waited an hour to eat here last time.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    What are your favorite places in Austin for brisket? 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Of course, here in AZ all I seem to be able to get for "bbq brisket" is...quite literally...pot roast.
    I want to talk about this a bit more.  Perhaps I'll start a new thread so I can get educated.  I've only cooked a handful of briskets, and I experienced this as well with a couple of them.
    What's the secret?  Meat, cooking, wrapping, etc?  Fill me in please.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio