Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide - I'm hooked.

Options
Bart1434
Bart1434 Posts: 160
Pork tenderloin at 137 with some s&p, butter, Rosemary and Parsley... Finished with hot sear and plated with brown rice & kidney beans and roasted red peppers... Delish and extremely juicy with a great crust.  I am loving my new sous vide. 

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Looks excellent, and in the bubble machine you don't have to fold the ends over. Did you egg or CI sear for crust? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bart1434
    Options
    @Skiddymarker used a CI indoors over gas stove.. Preheated it pretty hot in my oven for about 30 mins, tad bit smokey indoors but the weather wasn't so great and didn't feel like firing up the egg... Perfect reason for a mini-max in the new future I think.

Southwestern, CT

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Me too! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I looked at one today in Austin at William Sonoma. $400 but the GM said they had a new model to be here in a few weeks at $199. Still on the fence. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I looked at one today in Austin at William Sonoma. $400 but the GM said they had a new model to be here in a few weeks at $199. Still on the fence. 
    Call me before you get one. I'll walk you though. I have an extra you can play with first if you want. You might have to take me to lunch to get it though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:
    When you are on a fence, to fall or jump is inevitable - might as well do it on your terms, jump!
    Lots of immersion circulatory around for <$200, that's about $50 less then lunch with CenTex...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Just curious how long you cooked at 137? I've got my sous vide, but I haven't used it yet.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Bart1434
    Options

@mickey I say jump in and start using one! Really convenient alternate method of cooking with great flavor.

@volfan1 in total I would say that it cooked about 3 hrs in the bath and then I seared all sides for about 1-2 mins each...came out great.

Southwestern, CT

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Ok. Thanks!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    I had a friend send me a few pictures of his steak with his sous vide cooker and it was so bloody and gross. He did it for about an hour at 130 and seared also but i dont think he let it cook long enough. He said it was delicious though. No intention to down talk it at all, just have to know how to use em and make sure you dont food poison yourself
    Austin, Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    I had a friend send me a few pictures of his steak with his sous vide cooker and it was so bloody and gross. He did it for about an hour at 130 and seared also but i dont think he let it cook long enough. He said it was delicious though. No intention to down talk it at all, just have to know how to use em and make sure you dont food poison yourself
    Yeah that's not the fault of the SV. There's an old saying-- it's the Indian and not the arrow. Think that applies here. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    If you go sous vide, get the immersion stick. I went with the sous vide oven, and, for how often I use it, it became just another device taking up space on the counter, and it eventually went into the closet and I never use it. Too inconvenient.

ChefSteps is bringing to market a new immersion stick that has added a lot more functionality to the traditional design, in a smaller package:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/chefsteps-joule-immersion-circulator/

• Bart1434
    Options
    @chubbs I think that old saying fits perfectly here - at the end of the day you gotta cook it to the way you like it/safe temps etc.

Southwestern, CT

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mickey, what company is coming out with a new model?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    So if want 2 steaks at different temps, I need two sticks or are there tricks? 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    So if want 2 steaks at different temps, I need two sticks or are there tricks? 
    Put both steaks in 1 at the lower temp then during sear you go longer on the steak you want more well done.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Mosca said:
    If you go sous vide, get the immersion stick. I went with the sous vide oven, and, for how often I use it, it became just another device taking up space on the counter, and it eventually went into the closet and I never use it. Too inconvenient.

ChefSteps is bringing to market a new immersion stick that has added a lot more functionality to the traditional design, in a smaller package:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/chefsteps-joule-immersion-circulator/

At the moment, I have 4 sous vide devices. A PID controller I use with a crock pot, 2 immersions (Nomiku and Anova) and an "oven" (Oliso).

To use any of those you have to clear counter space, Three of those you have to set up and then break down when finished and put everything away every time you use it.

My Oliso has a smaller footprint than the big crockpot  and the 20qt cooler I often use when using one of the immersion models.

I have come to prefer the Oliso which I use often enough (3-4 days a week) that I don't mind the counter space it takes. Since it is always up and ready all I have to do to use it is just turn it on and go. When I'm finished all I need to do is turn it off. No breaking down, no putting away. Easy peasy.

I have a small kitchen and counter space is precious but I just removed the toaster (which I rarely used) and dedicate that space to the Oliso. Works well for me.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    HeavyG said:
     When I'm finished all I need to do is turn it off. No breaking down, no putting away. Easy peasy.

So you even reuse the water? I've wondered why not since it's clean and is just a transfer agent.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
     When I'm finished all I need to do is turn it off. No breaking down, no putting away. Easy peasy.

So you even reuse the water? I've wondered why not since it's clean and is just a transfer agent.
    I generally leave the water in it for couple of weeks then I'll empty it, wipe the container down and then refill it.

No real need to do that as the water doesn't really get dirty. I do it "just becuz". :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited February 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:

...I just removed the toaster (which I rarely used) and dedicate that space to the Oliso. Works well for me.

I use that freakin' toaster all the time!

I have the crockpot, the toaster, and the coffeemaker on the counter, and a can opener. The can opener irks me, we used to have an under-the-cabinet one but it broke, and when I went to replace it I couldn't find one at a reasonable price.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I change the water in my Demi if I see turbidity, or if I put it away.  It's on the counter about half the time. 

If I'm doing big stuff or lots of food, I use a 45qt cooler on the back deck, fill with a hose and put the PolyScience Professional power head on it.  Cover with bubble wrap.