Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pigtail Meat flipper

Options
2»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I'm with RRP.  I used to put that tubing back on every time i stored it in a utensil drawer.  Then i lost that tube somewhere (i blame the kids).  I honestly think the greatest chance you have of poking yourself with the point is when you are putting the tube protector on .  When I find my pigtail turner again I am definitely going to try flipping pancakes.

Other uses: turn the pages of whatever book i am reading, back scratching, releasing food stuck between your teeth, getting food unstuck from someone else's teeth, buy enough of them to play spoons with, retrieving things that the garbage disposal will not digest, balloon popping. . . the possibilities are endless. . . 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I remember the point on each one being way too sharp. After it drew blood, I filed the point down just a tad. Still pointy enough , but not so dangerous. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use my pigtail flipper for home protection.  Made a holster for it and everything.  I can gouge an eye at 5 feet 9 out of 10 times.  Takes 42 milliseconds.
    Options
    I use mine as a brush to part my hair. @nolaegghead it is sweet to pull the rubber band outta your hair. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    After the cook, put the curved part of the flipper under each rib of the grid and use it to scrape off the crud. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    After the cook, put the curved part of the flipper under each rib of the grid and use it to scrape off the crud. =)
    Whew ... glad the smiley was there ... otherwise I would have called 911.  Knew something was wrong when my favorite minimalist was talking about cleaning the grid!  BTW ... enjoyed the video ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Whew ... glad the smiley was there ... otherwise I would have called 911.  Knew something was wrong when my favorite minimalist was talking about cleaning the grid!  BTW ... enjoyed the video ...
    Nah, don't panic. I just saw a vid where some guy demo'd that. I don't even own a flipper, though the idea is growing on me. Has to be more useful than my cobweb covered maverick. :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    The really advanced user of the pigtail flipper can unlatch a bra with it.

Or so I've heard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    You could use a cork to protect the point from poking things that don't want to be poked.  A friend of mine is an amateur blacksmith.  I just asked him to make me one.  If he ever does make it, I'll show it off here.  Now I want one.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I can't grasp how that device is better than the assorted tongs and spatulas I already have. Maybe some day I will get to try one and see what all the fuss is about. If it is a "must have" device, then by all means I "must have" one!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    CtTOPGUN, I felt the same as you even with me having one in the house in with some other gift items.  Until I finally tried it.  I have no idea how much they cost as mine was a gift.  But if it broke tomorrow, I would be ordering another within the hour.  Flipping steaks, chops, anything that will hold together, is so much easier and faster.  As a testament, has there been anyone on here say they didn't like theirs?

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I can't grasp how that device is better than the assorted tongs and spatulas I already have. Maybe some day I will get to try one and see what all the fuss is about. If it is a "must have" device, then by all means I "must have" one!

Jim
    It is not a must have. But a neat little tool. I like it better than tongs, because it doesn't take some of my dry rub off with each turn. Also it's much quicker to use once you get the hang of it. I can turn a batch of chicken wings MUCH faster with one of these than I can tongs.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,355
    Options
    Resurrecting an old thread to show my appreciation for the pigtail flipper. My newest eggcessory. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!