Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Blackstone 17" Setup & Seasoning (Pics)

Options

Comments

• glocklynn
    Options
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    @milesvdustin
    @HeavyG

If you don't like math, you can draw it in CAD.  Shown here is 4 buns and 8 burger patties.  Buns and patties shown are 4 inches in diameter.  

Download the 3DPDF to move the model around.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• glocklynn
    Options
    Hey if anyone comes across a good solution for a sturdy storage box for transportation. ..a post here would be appreciated.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @milesvdustin
    @HeavyG

If you don't like math, you can draw it in CAD.  Shown here is 4 buns and 8 burger patties.  Buns and patties shown are 4 inches in diameter.  

Download the 3DPDF to move the model around.

Hmmm... do I do a simple third grade maths problem in my head or fire up my multi thousand dollar copy of SolidWorks to create a visual to the simple problem. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    @HeavyG

Not SolidWorks. . . $20,000 Siemens NX.  It's the Big Green Egg of design software. . . 

;) 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Does it get hot enough on it's highest setting that I could blacken fish and/or chicken on it? I've read the comments about the temps .. and I really like this thing ... but I also really to blacken.  Right now I'm using a cast iron skillet with an outdoor gas burner.  Thoughts?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • ScottNC
    Options
    Hub, It'll easily get hot enough and the griddle top is cast iron so it'll act pretty similar to what you are used to, should work good for you. It heats up fast.

Western, North Carolina

• glocklynn
    glocklynn Posts: 17
    Options
    Just used my for the first time...seemed a little uneven in heating. For those that have one what has your experience been?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    glocklynn said:
    Just used my for the first time...seemed a little uneven in heating. For those that have one what has your experience been?
    Check your flames with the griddle top removed. Make sure all is lit and even.
    If it looks good, some of the uneven heat could just be wind or not giving it time to fully heat up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • glocklynn
    Options
    Will do Thank you
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Thanks, just ordered and paid for mine. Just have to p/u at store when in. Glad I did not get the big one. Thanks for posting.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SmokininCT
    Options
    @ScottNC Stainless table came in from Amazon. Modified following your directions and setup today. It is a perfect home for the mini and mini-max. They swap out easily. Thanks again!

• Hub
    Options
    Mine just came in and it is awesome, but with it staying outdoors (even though it is mostly under a roof) I definitely want a cover for it to keep the moisture off of the cast iron.  I've looked everywhere and can't find a specific cover or even a universal one in the neighborhood of 17" by 17".  Anybody know where I can find one?
  • ScottNC
    Options
    Hi to all & Thanks for the kind words, glad the 17's are working out for you guys, I know I like mine! Hub, I got a note from Blackstone a while back, it's posted in this one somewhere, but they are coming out with a carry case/cover for the 17, don't have an exact date though, sorry.

Western, North Carolina

• glocklynn
    Options
    I inquired with Blackstone about a cover a few days ago and they said it was about 6 months out.
  • Hub
    Options
    I'm really, really, really liking this Blackstone unit.  It's the best $79 I have spent in a very long time.  Outdoor cooking on cast iron is freaking awesome.  Sure, there is the obvious like cooking burgers and hot dogs, but this thing is great for blackening as well and cooking fish on it is a dream.  It's great to be able to blacken at high temps and have all the smoke be outside instead of inside.  Thanks Scott for making us aware.  Oh, and I emailed Blackstone regarding a cover.  They said one was "on its way but not yet available" without giving me a time frame.  I LOVE this thing!!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hub said:
    I'm really, really, really liking this Blackstone unit.  It's the best $79 I have spent in a very long time.  Outdoor cooking on cast iron is freaking awesome.  Sure, there is the obvious like cooking burgers and hot dogs, but this thing is great for blackening as well and cooking fish on it is a dream.  It's great to be able to blacken at high temps and have all the smoke be outside instead of inside.  Thanks Scott for making us aware.  Oh, and I emailed Blackstone regarding a cover.  They said one was "on its way but not yet available" without giving me a time frame.  I LOVE this thing!!
    I agree with everything except the cast iron part.  Superbada$$ for $79.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hub
    Options
    One question for you guys that have had this thing longer than me ... it is purposely designed so that the cooking surface is not completely even.  The oil runs away from the center and to the corners.  How do you remedy this or do you? I find myself wanting to push the meat towards the corners to get the oil.  At other times I find myself pushing it towards the center to avoid the oil.  What do you guys do?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    As it heats up, it slightly bows.  I like to take the spatula and scrape the fat over the entire griddle right before adding the food each time.  This slight bow, is actually a good thing.  I try to keep the food out of the small fat pool in the top corners.  When finished, scrape clean, and I leave the fat on the griddle for next time.  Works great.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    glocklynn said:
    Scott NC I had a quick question...I ordered this and want to use lager propane tanks.  What do I need to buy for this to work.
    I may get flamed for this, but another option is to refill the small propane cans.  There is a cheap adapter to do this.  Youtube it.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Every time I go into my local Ace, I look at the 36" Blackstone they have on display. The things feel solid and look awesome.  It would be great for burgers, family breakfast, etc.   How hot does it get?   Would it be suitable for searing tuna and steaks?
    I can hit 550 measured by my IR gun with no problem.
    Mine struggles to hit 450.  
    @SmokeyPitt contact blackstone for a new regulator and all your problems will be solved. It makes a world of a difference. @cazzy posted a thread on it a few months ago and I called. It's made a huge difference and I was already happy with mine.
    I contacted them and they gave me the run around and told me they wouldn't do anything without proof of purchase. I don't have my receipt or the box anymore. Anyone have any different luck?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options

@scottnc Hey just purchased one of these and was reading up on how to season etc and came across this post...my plan is sand it down a little and then to coat flaxseed oil a few times and then you said to heat in oven at 550?  you put the unit inside the oven ?  (Sorry if these are stupid questions - just trying to get it down)

Also need to prep some bacon for the following day after it gets delivered and was thinking to do it at the end of the seasoning process as well.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    @ScottNC Stainless table came in from Amazon. Modified following your directions and setup today. It is a perfect home for the mini and mini-max. They swap out easily. Thanks again!

@SmokininCT Is that a small egg in the nest? If so, what mates are you using with it? I want to add some mates to my small but not sure what size mates fit. I've only ever seen one other small egg with mates and the owner was clueless about them. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    Options
    WeberWho said:

@SmokininCT Is that a small egg in the nest? If so, what mates are you using with it? I want to add some mates to my small but not sure what size mates fit. I've only ever seen one other small egg with mates and the owner was clueless about them. 
    first place i googled
    http://www.outdora.com/11275emc2ss-composite-egg-mates-for-small-egg.html

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    WeberWho said:

first place i googled

@fishlessman I don't believe they make mates for the small egg? Has this changed? I think the smallest mates they make is for the medium
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

first place i googled

@fishlessman I don't believe they make mates for the small egg? Has this changed? I think the smallest mates they make is for the medium
    i dont know if its actually available but it is listed here on the bge site with a model number, maybe give them a call
    http://biggreenegg.com/product/2-slat-egg-mates/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nice set-up, for sure. Either you're clean freak or you need to cook more! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I like it!

Good deal with Ace too. Many folks seem to think that Amazon has the best prices. Absolutely NOT TRUE. Especially for this...

Ace Hardware, $79.99.
    Amazon, $147.22!!! 
    Ace is da place of the helpful hardware man!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I like it!

Good deal with Ace too. Many folks seem to think that Amazon has the best prices. Absolutely NOT TRUE. Especially for this...

Ace Hardware, $79.99.
    Amazon, $147.22!!! 
    Ace is da place of the helpful hardware folks!
    FTFY