Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I made a Plate setter lifter

Options
pinballLooking
pinballLooking Posts: 127
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
I wanted a plate setter lifter. So I bought a Harbor Freight welding chipping tool for $5. I used its handle with some scrap 1" square tube from I had form another project. I welded up a Plate setter lifter. It is nothing fancy but it should do the job. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That looks awesome.. Nicely done!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Not for nuthin bud...but it looks like somebody could use a new gasket.  Great job on the lifter.  I may give that a shot.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Start making them. You will sell a bunch right here 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Let's see that bad boy in action. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Start making them. You will sell a bunch right here 
    Only if they come with a free T shirt or bumper sticker  =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Love it, burnt my fingers pretty bad trying to lift the plate setter with grill gloves.  Patient that idea!!!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nicely done! Obviously, you are a better welder than I am! LOL. I thought about making one, but then I realized that with very few exceptions, the only time I ever lift my platesetter, it is stone cold.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Looks good, but having designed products in the past I see a flaw. This is more for constructive criticism rather than an insult and just trying to help you think out of the box.

When you lift your plate setter and if it does not stay level it will fall out easily. You would need at least a couple of these in order to maintain it balanced or a clamp of sorts from the top that you can tighten before you take it out.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I bought a deep clamp to use (maybe 8"), but haven't tried it.  I like what you've done.  Seems like 1move has a good observation.  Maybe 2 fingers on the bottom a couple inches apart would add stability.  

There's a market for a good gadget on this board.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nice, would love to make one but welding is not my forte :) 

saw a similar one on the interweb ...
    http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/bbq-outdoor/smoker-accessories/_/Smokeware-Plate-Setter-Lifter/?=

canuckland
  • pinballLooking
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks everyone. I just got my welder last year so I am a youtube trained welder. :)

Gamecockeggman

Yes I have a new gasket here waiting to go in. I am going to wait until it warms up a little before I install it.

Mickey

Thanks but it will be just a one off.

Dawnl

Last week my fingers got very hot when I did a reverse seer on steaks. That is what prompted me to build this.

1move

The bottom finger is longer than the top so it is not too bad and the fit is pretty close so it does not slide around that much. But the design could be improved.   

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Canugghead ... wow, the store references "Smokeware" and still raises the price $10 ... it's cheaper from the supplier:

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/the-lifter

I've played with it some and it's a well made plate setter lifter.  Trouble is I have a PSWoo2, so can't use it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Thanks, was wondering if it's supplied by the Smokeware cap folks. I googled on platesetter lifter and it came up on page 1, not that I really need one!
    canuckland
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

Thanks everyone. I just got my welder last year so I am a youtube trained welder. :)

I was  trained as an apprentice and certified as a structural welder some 36 yrs ago and worked for ~3yrs and haven't touched it since. I even did some fitting/welding on some of the little pavilions at Epcot Center in Disney World and some garages in DC.  My first day on the job as a fitters helper, the fitter showed me how to use a stick welder and then handed it to me. I tacked, then welded a couple of pieces of scrap he had given me. His comment was "Are you sure you've never done this before? Some of our 30+yr welders can't do it that good"...  I like my IT job much better. I hated getting burned all the time from splattering molten steel. (cutting, grinding and welding). 

• pinballLooking
    edited February 2016
    Options

onedbguru   That is cool you welded some WDW pavilions we are huge WDW fans.

I work in IT also when it is 100 outside and my brother is working outside I am happy to be inside.

I built an aquaponics garden last Feb and I am building a passive solar greenhouse over the aquaponics system. So have used about 6 pounds of mig wire in the last year on the weekends. So it has come in very handy on this project.