Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork in under a hour. Not in the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Fellows, here is a quick way to make a different version of pulled pork. Is it as good as pulled pork done in the smoker? No, it is not. However it's very fast and surprisingly good nonetheless. The beauty of it is it can be done in a hour, even if the meat is fully frozen. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this a 7. Not to bad for pulled pork done in a hour. 
Pork- 5 pound Boston Butt. It can be frozen or thawed. It doesn't matter. 

I cube mine and remove the fat. This isn't really necessary, but I like to do it. 

Coat heavily with cayenne or your rub of choice.  

Make a bacon bed for the meat to lay on. Why? What's better with pork than more pork =)

Add 1/2 of a onion and the juice of 1 lime.

Brown the meat, bacon and onion. This step is optional, but I like to do it. 

Add a bottle of "thin" sauce that you like. If it's not thin, cut it with a little water. This did not need to be cut or thinned out.  

If cooking as 12 PSI, cook for 60 minutes. If cooking at 15 PSI, you can reduce time to 45 minutes. 

After cooking, remove from the liquid and chop. The meat will be so tender that you can chop it with a flimsy plastic spatula like the one in the pic. 

If you like, set the pot in the freezer for a few minutes and let the fat ring or donut form and remove it. This isn't necessary but I wanted to illustrate it. 

Return the meat back to the liquid and warm. It's now ready to eat. 

Again, this isn't as good as a butt slow smoked over wood. However it's very fast and quite good to boot. For those of you with a PC, here is a great way to have several pounds of PP in just over a hour. Hope that y'all enjoy this different take on PP not done in the style of Dixie. Thanks for looking. 
Oh, before I go, can any of the Pork Gods identify this? Sorry for the blurry pic, but I took it one handed. If no one gets it, I will make up a answer ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Pretty cool Scotty! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    Pretty cool Scotty! 
    Thanks brother. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good to me Scotty. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    U R crazy! In an AMAZING way. The gifts just keep on coming. ;);) Thanks.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks good to me Scotty. 
    Thanks brother Husker. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    U R crazy! In an AMAZING way. The gifts just keep on coming. ;);) Thanks.
    You are to kind my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks very tasty, nice job.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn Scotty, another home run!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If I go with 20psi, will it be done in 30 minutes?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Hard to tell what that is in the pic, looks like a pork Ho-Ho
  • SGH
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depending on your elevation, yes it would. However I don't recommend cooking in a 20 PSI sanitizer. They are not designed like a true pressure cooker. As such, due to the extra pressure and heat, foaming is a given and presents a real explosion danger. Or at a minimum, blowing a safety blow out plug. Especially with beans. However even with meat, the extra 5 PSI and 25 degrees of heat is significant. I don't recommend doing it my friend unless you are at a very, very high elevation. Even then I would proceed with extreme caution. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    Yes it would. However I don't recommend cooking in a 20 PSI sanitizer. They are not designed like a true pressure cooker. As such, due to the extra pressure and heat, foaming is a given and presents a real explosion danger. Or at a minimum, blowing a safety blow out plug. Especially with beans. However even with meat, the extra 5 PSI and 25 degrees of heat is significant. I don't recommend doing it my friend unless you are at a very, very high elevation. Even then I would proceed with extreme caution. 
    Lord knows I've blown my share of plugs out with beans.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    That looks awesome!  I wonder if you smoked it for an hour before putting into the pressure cooker would be any improvement...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• SGH
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I wonder if you smoked it for an hour before putting into the pressure cooker would be any improvement...
    Sure it would. You can also smoke them to a internal of 160 degrees and then finish in the PC and most folks can't tell the differnce. Several restaurants and food chains do this very thing. However my intent was just to present a way to make pretty good pulled pork real fast. This method is great for folks who may not have a smoker or just simply don't have time to dedicate several hours to smoking a butt. You can also cheat this method by adding a little Liquid Smoke to the mix. Is it authentic? Certainly not. But it's good nonetheless. The beauty of this method is the speed. Depending on the size of you pressure cooker, or even better, your pressure canner, you can turn out 200 pounds of pretty good pulled pork in about a hour. This can be a real life saver when cooking for fundraisers and charities. Again, this certainly will never replace smoked butt in terms of true quality. But in a pinch, it can be a real useful trick to get out of a jam in certain circumstances when pressed for time or large volumes are needed. 
    And thanks for the compliment my friend. It's much appreciated.  

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @SGH that looks really tasty. If I'm cooking a small Boston butt inside, I usually use the pressure cooker. It really is superior for retaining flavor versus oven roasting. Much quicker too.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dredger
    Sister, you and I should write a PC cook book together. I have some very unique methods and recipes that I would love to share with the PC crowd. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @SGH, I would love to co-author a book with you. I haven't published a new one in awhile and it would be great fun. Love your methods and a good sense of humor helps a lot too. Readers love that.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Damn, beat my four hour turbo by far, great read, thanks brother.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "