Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Day for Cattle in Ky.

Options
The livestock industry in Ky. took a hit today.  The largest stockyards in the state burned to the ground.  A huge fire in Lexington.
http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Massive-fire-reported--367101161.html

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oof! What are Kentucky fans going to do in their free time? No more petting zoo!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Ouch! Beef is already leaning towards expensive. I bet we'll see this effect soon. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    The livestock industry in Ky. took a hit today.  The largest stockyards in the state burned to the ground.  A huge fire in Lexington.

The article says "A handful of workers and between 25 and 30 cattle were inside the massive Stockyard when it caught fire and engulfed in flames. The workers are accounted for." 

But they don't say anything about the 25-30 head of cattle.

I want to know if the beef was burnt, or did the fireman put out the flames at medium rare?

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    25 to 30 head?

I didn't read the article and was thinking thousands of head.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I'm guessing well done from what I have heard, with a substantial smoke ring.  Had it happened a day or two latter, it would probably have been several hundred head.

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    25 to 30 cattle possibly perished out of the US population of almost 90 million!?  I'm gonna start stocking up on beef right now!!!!!  AIEEEEEE!!! NOOEESSS!!!!  DONT TAKE MY CATTLE OBAMA HEALTHY EATING WIFE PERSON!!!  BUY, STOCKPILE, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG WITH THE PRICE???
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The above is sarcasm.

Commentary on how people, like cattle, drive up the prices on commodities based on driving up demand based on imaginary fear.  Someone benefits from this, you see?
    Options
    nolaegghead I didn't mean to imply this would affect meat prices.  If it has any effect, I would think it would be miniscule.  However, it will be a huge inconvenience to cattle farmers.  Other markets will have to absorb the volume that was sold weekly at Bluegrass.  
        Mainly, I just thought it might be of interest to some on a BBQ forum as this was one of the stops along the way to our grills. 

Tommy 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Wow.  After reading the article, the timing would have been much worse had it broken out today.  Interesting to find out what caused it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Geez Tom, when I first saw the image, without reading, I thought that was you with that egg going full blast, waiting for the clean smoke again. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Gotta admit that the head-line made me think @SGH was on a road trip.  Good that no one was injured, at least.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    FarmerTom said:

Aren't you supposed to wait for the good smoke before you put the beef on? 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The report said that one "egghead" was reportedly seen charging into the fire with a Thermopen in hand.  There was no word that he came back out. Moment of silence, please.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    My biggest fear - burning to death while alive. Drowning is a close second. I can not image that first breath and your lungs start to fill with water. Regardless, burning to death, I would think is every animals worst nightmare. Being trapped and seeing the flames and or breathing heavy smoke and not being able to escape would be a terrifying and horrifying way to go.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    80 head here, truck accident and PETA is pissed!

http://www.standard.net/Police/2016/01/29/PETA.html

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The report said that one "egghead" was reportedly seen charging into the fire with a Thermopen in hand.  There was no word that he came back out. Moment of silence, please.  
    Oh come now ... with a Thermopop, maybe ... but with a blue Thermopen he'd be in and out with no problems.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    4Runner said:
      Interesting to find out what caused it.  
    My money is on Ketucky bourbon is somehow in the mix.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    My biggest fear - burning to death while alive. Drowning is a close second. I can not image that first breath and your lungs start to fill with water. Regardless, burning to death, I would think is every animals worst nightmare. Being trapped and seeing the flames and or breathing heavy smoke and not being able to escape would be a terrifying and horrifying way to go.

Wow!  I don't know, I don't really think about burning to death alive or drowning, even though I've had a couple semi-close incidents of drowning and I have been on fire a couple of times.  My worst fear is accidentally doing something stupid and injuring my own child severely.  I don't know if I could live with myself if I was the cause of something real bad happening to my son.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I have been asked on many occasions "What do you want most in life?"  My response is always "to die before my children".  Beyond that, "Here today, gone today is number 2 on my list".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.