Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fried Rabbit & Gravy under pressure. In the style of Dixie.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,815
I have been tweaking my rabbit recipes as of late. Here is one that I really like and as such thought I would share it here for those of you who like rabbit and/or hare. It's really, really good. 
Ingredients:
Rabbit cut up.
Peanut oil for frying.
2 cups of brown gravy. 
Zatarans Fish Fry.
Salt & black pepper.
Cayenne.  
1 white onion.
1 stick of butter for sautéing the onion.
1 Budweiser or beer of your choice.   
1 bag of frozen season blend. 

Directions. 
Salt & pepper the rabbit and really  put the cayenne to it. 

Dredge in FF and coat well. 

Brown the rabbit in 375 degree peanut oil. Remember that you are only browning it, not cooking it. If you were frying it until done, the oil temp would need to be reduced to prevent scorching the outside. 

Once nice and brown, throw it all in your pressure cooker and cook at 12 PSI for 35 minutes. You can use quick release for this recipe. 

And 35 minutes later you have rabbit and gravy done in the style of Dixie. 

I hope that enjoy this simple but delicious southern staple done in the style of Dixie. As always, thanks for looking my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Wow, never would have thought I would desire rabbit... But after this... I really want to!!
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 404
    Man I've gotta get a pressure cooker. 
    Are the rabbit wild or store harvested?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    When I was a wee tyke, my dad raised rabbits in an old chicken house. I vividly remember him harvesting a few for dinner. Of course, all 300 or so we're pets to me, so I was very upset. That was probably close to 40 yrs ago. I've eaten rabbit a couple of times since then, but it's definitely rare occasion. Thanks for the memory revival. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    I used to have rabbit a couple times a month when I was a young child growing up in the shadows of Appalachia. It was our Sunday after church meal. I have had rabbit in Europe, and it just wasn't the same. Southern fried rabbit, for my money is the best. Brother Scottie, that looks delicious, and as good as it gets. Great presentation, Southern Style, of corse.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Eggscuses said:
    Man I've gotta get a pressure cooker. 
    Are the rabbit wild or store harvested?
    For wild game or extremely tough cuts, a PC has no equal or peer my friend. This rabbit was wild. However I cook them all the same way. If you can, go with a local person that is selling rabbits as opposed to store bought. A lot of store bought rabbit comes from China. Farm raised rabbits will not have the "wild" or "gamey" taste that wild rabbits have. Also it's more tender. However if using the pressure cooker to finish, it will remove most of the wild taste as well as make it tender. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 404
    I've only had it 3 times. Once was wild ,once was store bought , once was a game dinner so I'm thinking that was wild too. I prefer the wild , definitely more flavor to it.
  • SGH
    @Eggscuses
    The legs are my favorite. 

Status- Standing by.

• Man that looks good. I want to see you cook some squirrel with your PC. 

Little Rock, AR

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Another solid cook Scottie.  Thanks for posting.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Man that looks good. I want to see you cook some squirrel with your PC. 
    Thanks man. As far as squirrel, you can use the rabbit recipes that I have posted for squirrel as well. Simply reduce the time under pressure to 20 minutes. Everything else is identical. If I shoot a few this weekend I will whip them up and post them. For clarity, you can also use these rabbit recipes for crow, blackbird, robin, dove and quail. For the fowl, simply reduce time under pressure to 10 minutes. Some of the real old and large crows may take 15 minutes. These roux and gravy recipes are great on most wild game rather it hops, climbs or flies. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Possum, or opossum?
  • SGH
    Possum, or opossum?
    In Dixie they are possum. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    I was trying to be all inclusive for our Yankee neighbors, you know, north of Chattanooga 
  • SGH
    I was trying to be all inclusive for our Yankee neighbors, you know, north of Chattanooga 
    Absolutely brother yolk. 

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,113
    Can't help it, I'm wondering now if domesticated rabbits are castrated as bunnies?  
    Do wild rabbits have a "taint"?  

:lol: 

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,833
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    Love the rabbit cooks!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "why do you want to eat me, scottie? *sniff*"

"when I grow up, I want to eat baby carrots!!!  (YAY)"

(insert thought bubble here) "I can't talk yet. shhhh"

ok, you can eat this one, my friend.

my research indicates....murder.

dinner for two?
    I'm just messin' with ya, buddy.  Nothin' I like better than some good rabbit.
    "why do you want to eat me, scottie? *sniff*"

Because when battered and deep fried you are excellent ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

dinner for two?
    They would look real cute laying in the deep fryer =)

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,730
    Gosh that looks and sounds awesome.. Your pics are fantastic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Oh come on, @SGH . Where are the rest of the pictures? You can't possible think we'd believe one rabbit would fill you up? Where are the others? OR was this just a snack for you?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Griffin said:
    Oh come on, @SGH . Where are the rest of the pictures? You can't possible think we'd believe one rabbit would fill you up? Where are the others? OR was this just a snack for you?
    Griff we fried some thin breakfast chops and tater tots while the grease was hot as well. I didn't take pics of the chops and tots as I figure folks are tired of seeing them. The tots were the frozen kind, not homemade. If they was homemade I would have definitely posted them.  

Status- Standing by.