Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife sharpeners

Options
13»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Thats nice its sharp. My point is will it be like that in 5 days after you hit it on your steel a bunch of times? No it won't. Go back and read my posts I said chefs keep their knives sharp enough. After using that knife and steeling it its going to be less sharp and its not worth a chefs time to worry about keeping it as sharp as it can be as long as its sharp enough. My knives will always do that because it takes little maintenance to keep them like that where someone using theres all the time would constantly have to mess with them. That was the point of my statement. That and honing/steeling does remove steel.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2016
    Options

I didn't stone this knife prior to the video.

I will admit I ran it 4-5 times over my steel.

I only have to hit it on my steel to keep it that way. I haven't put that knife on a stone in over a year. That is the knife I use for deboning. It is known as a chicken knife is what my chef called it in Japan.

I can do the same thing with my 12" Victorinox knife I got 15 years ago too.

I only need to run my knives on stones once or twice a year.

Say what you will about chefs and our knives. Maybe your thinking of guys who run Dennys that think they are chefs. ALL of my peers have knives itn the same fashion as mine regarding sharpness. My knives are never dull to the point they wont do whats in the video

Im not going to argue the point with you anymore. You are wrong to think that your knives are sharper at any given time than most chefs worth their salt, and my knives along with many other  chefs will and can prove that.

• hondabbq
    Options
    My sincere apologies to the OP for this little dispute. Its hard to walk away when your training and skill sets have been called into question.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Any input on how processes may differ for single edged japanese steel?  My knives could use a little sharpening, but I don't want to f*ck up the single edge.  They cut great when they're sharp.  TIA.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Options
    I can tell you are full of crap there are test cuts along the bottom of the paper you are cutting. You tried to cut it it didn't work you sharpened it some more and so on until it was where you wanted it to be. I'm glad that you keep your knives sharp though because I worked in high end country club kitchen growing up and in several restaurants in downtown Orlando in college and maybe 20% of the people behind the line cared enough to maintain their knives sharp.
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Say what you will about chefs and our knives. Maybe your thinking of guys who run Dennys that think they are chefs. ALL of my peers have knives itn the same fashion as mine regarding sharpness.

This was the point I was attempting to make... though it might have gotten lost in the fog of the (larger) portion of red wine that didn't go into the diane sauce for the beef tenderloins I made that night. The only chefs I know keep their tools in top shape.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sharpen the bevel side first til nicks are gone, then lay the flat side down flat and draw it lightly. the flat sided single edges are easy, if is concave on the nonbeveled side, hit that side only once or twice very lightly as those knives lose the negative angle when sharpening them. also you want a very flat stone for these which is why i like the diamond stones, but you can flatten a used stone as well before sharpening the knife
    fukahwee maine

• hondabbq
    Options

Yes I did film it twice. The first time I wasn't fully in the frame so I re-filmed it and used the same paper.

Whatever dude If you want to prance around the interweb thinking your king (*&^ then so be it. Good on ya. Must be a fulltime job being so good at so many things and making sure everyone knows it.

• Lit
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    My sincere apologies to the OP for this little dispute. Its hard to walk away when your training and skill sets have been called into question.
    Nobody called you into anything you walked in to argue. I said word for word its not worth most chefs time. If it is to you and you keep your knives sharp then great nobody ever said hondabbq has dull ass knives you brought yourself into this and made it about you.
  • Lit
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Yes I did film it twice. The first time I wasn't fully in the frame so I re-filmed it and used the same paper.

Whatever dude If you want to prance around the interweb thinking your king (*&^ then so be it. Good on ya. Must be a fulltime job being so good at so many things and making sure everyone knows it.

Whatever man atleast I tried to point the OP in the right direction by answering his question all you did was argue. I never said I had the sharpest knives and never even alluded to it there are plenty of people on here that are into sharpening as well and am sure their knives are just as sharp as mine. I made a general statement and for some reason you come in like it was about you. Great you are a chef and you have a sharp knife you are awesome.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    =) if you want sharp, use the compounds, then strop on newspaper laid on glass 100 times each side, then the bovine strop, then a horse butt strop, then do the hanging hair test. =) cutting paper with a knife actually dulls it B)
    fukahwee maine

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shhhhhh. Let's take it down a couple of notches.

Thread reboot.
    divr71 said:
    I need help on sharpening my knives. I am asking for help on what is the best equipment/technique for sharpening my knives..

LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the hanging hair should cut by the weight of the hair itself, this is how i do my razors =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-ayPofWpY

fukahwee maine