Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Stair Case Build (Lots of Pics)

Options
This is a project my father and I have been working on since June for my wife and I house will just moved into this past summer.  It has been such a fun project and it turned out so awesome that I had to share it with you guys.  Hopefully we will be putting the final touches on it this weekend.

Started by making the treads that I refurbished out of the rafters of the house that my wife's grandmas house she was born in.  I've estimated that when the wood was a tree it had to be at least 250 years old.  Here is what it looked like before we started.

We ran these through a planner to clean them up since they had been sitting in my father in laws barn for about 30 years.  The stuff was so hard that we had to flip the blades every three boards.

After the planner we cut them to about the width we wanted for the treads.  Had to glue and lag two together to get the depth we needed.

Once the glued dried I found a place that had a large wire brush machine that could clean out the soft would that was in the grain.  This would allow there to be some grip to the wood.  After that we sprayed on a clear coat sealer to help prevent splintering of the wood.

Meanwhile we were also installing our stringer for these to sit on.  We had a local company make us 2 C channel beams and risers.  I painted these will black Rustoleum hammered finish paint.  If you have never used or seen this paint, I would highly recommend it.  It is a very cool paint.  We had to get the beams in place first before we put the risers on.  The two channels alone combined for 425 pounds.  We used a "pulley-man" device to get it lifted up into place.

After getting this secured to the wall and floor we moved on to installing the risers and used temp treads to help get them level and lined up.

After this was getting the actual treads on.

Next step was to prevent someone from falling into the hole for the basement stairs.  We fabricated all the railing for this at my dads machine shop.  We bought the stainless steel rope and fitting online.  I painted the posted and hand rail with the same hammered finish black paint.

Now it was time to get the hand rail going up the stairs completed.  Also, the little one is now crawling all over the place so we need to put a gate up so she wouldn't fall down the basement stairs.  We used self closing hinges we found on amazon with a locking latch.

Finished painting the rail for the loft last night and will hopefully be getting it up this weekend.  I'll post pictures of the final when we get it up.  Feel free to ask any questions.
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That's incredible. Looks so slick. What amazing skills and tools to do this project. Looks like a New York high rise.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's incredible. Looks so slick. What amazing skills and tools to do this project. Looks like a New York high rise.
    This what happens when your wife spends too much time looking at Houzz.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Beautiful work!

Your wife could do better than you.  Just saying'.   =)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    great job.  been thinking about building a set similar but with a spiral turn at the bottom to fit it where it needs to go. not ready to lose the bedroom because im wicked slow with these projects. how long did it take start to finish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Beautiful work!

Your wife could do better than you.  Just saying'.   =)
    That is the most under stated thing I have ever read on this site.   =)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options

great job.  been thinking about building a set similar but with a spiral turn at the bottom to fit it where it needs to go. not ready to lose the bedroom because im wicked slow with these projects. how long did it take start to finish
    Started making treads in April.  We started putting the stringer up in July.  Hopefully will be completed this weekend.  Could have obviously been done quicker, but my dad is an aerospace engineer and everything had to be exact.  At one point he was pissed off because something was off a 1/4 inch.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks awesome!  You should be very proud of that.  It's always rewarding when a project like that comes together.  
  • fishlessman
    Options

Started making treads in April.  We started putting the stringer up in July.  Hopefully will be completed this weekend.  Could have obviously been done quicker, but my dad is an aerospace engineer and everything had to be exact.  At one point he was pissed off because something was off a 1/4 inch.
    i know it would take me longer and probably wouldnt even get to the railings, need to do it someday, i have a whole second floor with only a ladder for access
    fukahwee maine

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    What a project, beautifully done.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• saluki2007
    Options

i know it would take me longer and probably wouldnt even get to the railings, need to do it someday, i have a whole second floor with only a ladder for access
    Haha.  We had the permanent treads on before we moved in, Aug 1, but didn't have the hand rail up the stairs until the beginning of this month.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Beautiful! Question though - you're not aware Baby Saluki could wedge through the risers?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow!  Very nice work.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options

Yo Mike - I know you can buy several designs of metal spiral staircases and just add your own wood - or were you planning to fabricate all yourself - hence the slowness?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If I was to do this, we'd never have stairs and would have to access the upstairs some other way (via ladder I suppose).  I've been painting the inside of our house for 14 years now.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Just plain Awesome... Fantastic craftsmanship and the end result is stunning..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    If I was to do this, we'd never have stairs and would have to access the upstairs some other way (via ladder I suppose).  I've been painting the inside of our house for 14 years now.  
    thats what i have, a ladder, put a temporary shower up there when my one bathroom exploded in with a broken pipe. 2 years climbing a ladder to take a shower in a 20 degree room. steam actually turned to snow =)
    fukahwee maine

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Very cool! Best part is the smile on Momma's face.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• saluki2007
    Options
    RRP said:
    Beautiful! Question though - you're not aware Baby Saluki could wedge through the risers?
    The gap in-between the treads is not large enough for her to get through.  The only thing I am worried about would be her climbing up them and falling backwards down them as they are very hard wood and the floor is concrete.  At the moment she is not climbing, just crawling.  We have tinkered around with a couple of ideas as to how to block them with a temporary solution.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    @Dyal_SC - I see you dinged me about my concern that his baby could wedge through. That a fat finger stroke or do you know something to prove my concern is invalid?
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    My absolute favorite part of woodworking is re using old timber.  Those stairs look amazing.  Good job!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

Yo Mike - I know you can buy several designs of metal spiral staircases and just add your own wood - or were you planning to fabricate all yourself - hence the slowness?
    ive actually built spirals years ago and sold them, they are terrible when you need to move something. im thinking i could just spiral the bottom 3 or 4 treads, make it narrow to gain space down stairs and make the ceiling opening wide to get things upstairs. in the planning stage for 16 years now. my lower level is just 1000 sq foot and i could use the space if the upstairs was usable. the slowness is every project in this house starts with a project and its big projects. this one would be knock down two bedrooms, move them upstars (preferably before knocking out those two rooms), adding the stairs, changing those two lower rooms into a kitchen, then taking out my currant 8x8 kitchen =)  change that to the eating area. do this while still going to camp which gives me tue,wed,and thu night to do the work.  and before this can be done i need to find a way to marry into money =) easypeasy
    fukahwee maine

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that is amazing!  very nice work!
    @tarheelmatt my thoughts exactly.  i'd just tell people it's not lack of stairs, i just converted my 2 story house into a ranch
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MelSharples
    Options
    RRP said:
    The gap in-between the treads is not large enough for her to get through.  The only thing I am worried about would be her climbing up them and falling backwards down them as they are very hard wood and the floor is concrete.  At the moment she is not climbing, just crawling.  We have tinkered around with a couple of ideas as to how to block them with a temporary solution.

I wouldn't worry too much about falling backwards as long as you have the tops of the stairs gated you should be fine. My oldest fell down a set of split level stairs when she was a toddler after misjudging where the stairs began. Thankfully it only cost us a few minutes of tears. Funny how we all managed to survive without baby gates and safety locks, different time I guess...

Great work, wood is beautiful!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Beautiful work and home.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    Options

ive actually built spirals years ago and sold them, they are terrible when you need to move something. im thinking i could just spiral the bottom 3 or 4 treads, make it narrow to gain space down stairs and make the ceiling opening wide to get things upstairs. in the planning stage for 16 years now. my lower level is just 1000 sq foot and i could use the space if the upstairs was usable. the slowness is every project in this house starts with a project and its big projects. this one would be knock down two bedrooms, move them upstars (preferably before knocking out those two rooms), adding the stairs, changing those two lower rooms into a kitchen, then taking out my currant 8x8 kitchen =)  change that to the eating area. do this while still going to camp which gives me tue,wed,and thu night to do the work.  and before this can be done i need to find a way to marry into money =) easypeasy
    Sounds like it's time to call in favors from a certain architect! =)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That's fricken cool! Awesome work 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A thing of beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Ok now you are just showing off... =)