Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

made some Italian sausages

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,533
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
Used the Italian sausage recipe in the book recommended by @SGH, added oregano, thyme and basil in addition to ingredients in the recipe.  Came out quite nice.  No cooking pics since egg wasn't used.

Finally got a chance to set up my new toy properly.  Counter sunk stainless bolts in an old cutting board to hold the stuffer, then clamped the board to the table  Worked really well, I can now stuff sausages without assistance.  The most time consuming part is making the links, the stuffer extrudes efficiently like a caulking gun, had to slow down by cranking no more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Also easy to take apart for cleanup.

Wanted to get one with metal gears but it's way too big, this 5-lb unit is perfect for my need.

Some folks complained the nylon gears are prone to cracking, apparently it's often caused by peep that kept cranking even after the piston has hit the bottom ... I put rubber band as a temporary visual reminder to stop, plan to put a stop screw or collar later.

I also wonder if mix that's too stiff (e.g. lack of cold water or other liquid in the recipe) could put too much stress on the nylon gears?

It's a game changer for me, no dripping liquid (sign of over handling the mix) like when using meat grinder sausage attachment. 
canuckland

Comments