Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why you should never eat salad. Ever.

Options
13»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    want to borrow my slicer =)

That's funny as I have the identical same slicer and have used it for years - very carefully I might add!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options

That reminds me, I have one of these... ...hanging on the wall in my kitchen. Bought it because I thought it was a cool looking antique. Blades need sharpening, but the steel is in great shape. Wood too, for that matter. I've never used it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. 

Maybe I'll try it next time I make slaw. =)
    And that is exactly what that is for - slice/shred cabbage for slaw or to make sauerkraut.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    And that is exactly what that is for - slice/shred cabbage for slaw or to make sauerkraut.
    Yeah, I knew what it was for, but I didn't buy it to USE, just to look at. =) Still, it looks like it would do a great job. And easier to clean than a food processor. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    yep, been there.  Father's Day 2013....Sliced my finger with a slip on my Alton's Angles Shun knife.  A brief break and a few stitches later....good to go. Wouldn't change my Shun knives for anything else though.  It was my fault.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited January 2016
    Options
    John sent me a pic of the flesh wound here:

Next time CT slices his own brisket in Salado, Imma keep my distance!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Think i found one that's not too bad to share. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    After reading all of the different responses, I'm speechless.  I don't know whether to grin or grimish.  I hope the wound heals quickly.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Your digit could be the new Shun logo (think Apple logo).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I can't get past the knife through the foot... I cringe every time I think about it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I can't get past the knife through the foot... I cringe every time I think about it. 
    That was pretty bad. She's way tougher than me though. 
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options

I am very sorry to hear that. Do everything the doc says; that's crucial. Now, I will relate this similar, true story that is so bizarre you'll think I made it up. At least 20 years ago my wife and I had this nice young lady coming over every other week to clean our house. During one of her visits my wife noticed quite the bandage on her, I believe, left thumb. Believe it or not…a Ginsu door-to-door, knife salesman had come by her place and in trying herself to easily cut thru frozen meat, as the salesman had just demonstrated, she completely lopped off her thumb right below the top knuckle joint.  The company paid for her medical needs, but, as my wife remembers, the poor girl sadly had neither the savvy nor the money for a lawyer and signed an agreement that only got the thumb reattached, not the nerves. Yep, the company somehow finagled a way not pay for the nerve reattachment aspect of the surgery. No punchline, folks, this is a TRUE story. Now that I think about it, you can’t, as the saying goes, make ‘em up this good.

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • News2u
    Options
    I was fine chopping some spinach and kale mix with my freshly honed 8" Shun Ken Onion Chef knife this afternoon and I guess I wasn't paying close enough attn.  in my haste, I cut off the tip of my left thumb off so fast I didn't even feel it. I'll spare you the gruesome pics until it heals up but I have never suffered a cut as bad as this one. My thumb is totally squared off and it ain't growing back. Never would have happened with a nice fat ribeye. 

For those of you who have been following along, this is the same knife that basically pinned Janell's foot to the kitchen floor when she dropped it the day we bought it.

This is hardly any consolation, but it's probably for certain. Yours wasn't the first kitchen knife accident to claim a digit, nor will it likely be the last if history's any guide. E-R knife accidents at home led to hospital visits almost 330,000 times in 2011, according to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, a survey maintained by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In a sample of more than 8,000 of these cases, more than two-thirds of the injuries were to fingers. (source 2013 article in The Washington Post)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:

That's funny as I have the identical same slicer and have used it for years - very carefully I might add!
    i tried the foodsaver once for slaw and went back to this, much better. this one was my grandmothers, steel blade, the newer one i have is stainless and isnt half as sharp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • News2u
    Options
    You might consider a pair of these, even if they clash with your outfit:
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    News2u said:
    I would square off all my fingers before wearing one of those. Chicks dig scars.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I offered to kick the crap out of you in Texas. You would have lots of scars now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    News2u said:

Those gloves are the devil..... just ask anyone who is in the clothing industry  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Options
    RRP said:

i tried the foodsaver once for slaw and went back to this, much better. this one was my grandmothers, steel blade, the newer one i have is stainless and isnt half as sharp
    yup - mine is that same bluish steel blade. Easy to use and easy to clean. I've never tried to sharpen it as there is no need. I know that blade could remove your fingerprints in a jiffy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I offered to kick the crap out of you in Texas. You would have lots of scars now.
    yeah, from the knee down.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Is Little Steven really that vertically challenged?  Here I thought the nickname was a euphemism for his Johnson.  I suppose it could be both.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Now that's funny 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Is Little Steven really that vertically challenged?  Here I thought the nickname was a euphemism for his Johnson.  I suppose it could be both.
    That's Tiny Steve...
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I was fine chopping some spinach and kale mix with my freshly honed 8" Shun Ken Onion Chef knife this afternoon and I guess I wasn't paying close enough attn.  in my haste, I cut off the tip of my left thumb off so fast I didn't even feel it. I'll spare you the gruesome pics until it heals up but I have never suffered a cut as bad as this one. My thumb is totally squared off and it ain't growing back. Never would have happened with a nice fat ribeye. 

For those of you who have been following along, this is the same knife that basically pinned Janell's foot to the kitchen floor when she dropped it the day we bought it.

1969 in military was a scout dog handler,my dog in picture with me wacked out one day and thought my hand was a steak .Took a chunk off end of left index finger (if it was right side ,my trigger finger, might of been sent home) and punched a hole in vein at back of hand . Had to soak hand in Physohex for three weeks every day at aid station to keep out infection ,dog bites can't be sewn . End of finger can be real tender when it gets screwed up .One bright side of that experience is that it kept me out of the field for three weeks .Like others have said make sure it does not get infected .Two years after getting home don't know if it was coincidence or not but ended up with a raging infection that started in that same hand and went through my body for three years .Make sure you take care of it now .Even ended up in isolation for a week in hospital,doctors had no idea what it was .I think dog left me a souvenir .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sctdg said:

1969 in military was a scout dog handler,my dog in picture with me wacked out one day and thought my hand was a steak .Took a chunk off end of left index finger (if it was right side ,my trigger finger, might of been sent home) and punched a hole in vein at back of hand . Had to soak hand in Physohex for three weeks every day at aid station to keep out infection ,dog bites can't be sewn . End of finger can be real tender when it gets screwed up .One bright side of that experience is that it kept me out of the field for three weeks .Like others have said make sure it does not get infected .Two years after getting home don't know if it was coincidence or not but ended up with a raging infection that started in that same hand and went through my body for three years .Make sure you take care of it now .Even ended up in isolation for a week in hospital,doctors had no idea what it was .I think dog left me a souvenir .
    wow!. I have been applying neosporin like 4-5x a day. It's already healing up nicely. I always sanitize my blades after use so I know it was clean and thank god I was cutting veg and not chicken or something like that. Looks like it's healing up with no sign of infection so far.

• News2u
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Approx 10 years ago I was replacing some rotted RB&B paneling around our chimney when I got nicked using a small battery powered Ryobi circular saw. The 6 inch blade (which was way over exposed for the depth of cut I needed) caught me right dead center of my left thumb -- high, upper part of thumbprint and busted thru very top of thumbnail. A shallow tear (blade was of course dull), but, man, did it smart. Even though you'd never know it to look at the thumb today, there is a dead spot from nerve damage...very slight but it's still there. The dead spot used to be much bigger but most of the feeling gradually came back. Took probably five years. See how much better you feel with all this input from your support group on the forum? Don't mention it; that's what we're here for. =)