Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Food Camera - Advice needed

Options
rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
Hello and Happy New Year.

I know that some of you on here are excellent photographers.  I was hoping to get some advice.

My wife took a new job as head of marketing for a small natural food chain of grocery stores.  Part of what she does requires her to take good photographs. Sometimes of plated food or products. She was going to go buy a nice camera and I said wait, I think I know a place where we can get some good advice.

What camera would you recommend for someone who needs to take good food photographs.  If possible I would like it to double for landscape photography for myself (I know the opposite - Most likely a different lense?)

Would like to be around $1000 but if you say you have to bump up for quality; we probably would.

Thanks in advance!  
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have a canon 70D. Really like it. You are correct about the lense. I like to use a macro lense for the food pictures and a wide angle for landscape. Now here is where you can drop a lot of money. I was lucky when I bought my macro last Christmas as it was on a rebate...300.00 off, but was still 600.00. It is a money pit just like the BGE is...lol nice flash..500.00 camara body...1200.00....lense...sky is the limit.....lighting...800.00....backdrops....oh the list goes on and on.

maybe I'm not the right person to answer this question as I am happy to spend your money...lol and I'm sure you can find something a whole lot cheaper to do what you want to do.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ALL of my pics, gifs and videos are done via my phone. HTC One M8. Waiting to see what specs offer on the M10 when it's finally released. It's not always about high end cameras (we do own one) but, it's about angles, point of view (pov), lighting, plating itself etc. And you have to work fast because that beautiful medium rare color & juices don't have a pause button. Lots of timing.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks man. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i think it depends on how far she wants to get into it, my picture taking was way better with an old fuji point and shoot with 10x zoom than it is with my dslr nikon . mostl it has to do with lighting and higher fstops with the dslr and the lense that comes with it, its useless indoors or on dark days to me with the standard setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A few years ago bought my wife a Rebel T3I, a couple lenses and a bag. It's a real good mid range camera and depending on the zoom you need adjust your lenses accordingly. I think I spent around 12-1300$.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am not even close to being on the same level as the other guys listed but thanks @chubbs.  

I just an iPhone 6 and run thru an editing app called Snapseed that @hapster told me about.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Davec433
    Options

If if I wanted an SLR to take pictures of food I'd lose the 75-300 lense since you won't need to zoom in. But this is what I got for 12-1300$ years ago.
  • rtt121
    Options
    She has an i phone and a small Light studio for things as small as a product or plate.  Not getting it done. 

Thanks for input. And for call outs.

Any input @cazzy
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Yeah, any somewhat recent DSLR with a macro lens would be great for food photography.  I also have a T3i and really like it.  The only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did is auto focus during video.  I believe the T4i does that if that's something you're interested in.  You should be able to get either of them used for a decent price.

Depending on what your wife's needs are you may want to consider a macro ring flash.

The professional line of cameras from Canon will start with a number instead of T.  So 50D, 60D, 70D, etc.  Those can get expensive and may be more than you need.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Depending on what your wife's needs are you may want to consider a macro ring flash.

Oh snap...I so want one of these....another 800.00....poof...gone....lol

I do agree my 70D is most likely way more then what you need...it then becomes do you WANT it. I can tell you I can take one mean picture of a outhouse or a barn. I have not really played much with the macro lense with food but love it for taking pictures of flowers and insects.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • rtt121
    Options

Oh snap...I so want one of these....another 800.00....poof...gone....lol

I do agree my 70D is most likely way more then what you need...it then becomes do you WANT it. I can tell you I can take one mean picture of a outhouse or a barn. I have not really played much with the macro lense with food but love it for taking pictures of flowers and insects.
    This $800?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239656-USA/Canon_2357A002_MT_24EX_Macro_Twin_Lite.html
  • Davec433
    Options
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/986389-REG/canon_8469b002_canon_eos_70d_dslr.html

This is is what they are talking about. You'll also need a couple lenses, SD cards and a tripod to go with it.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @rtt121 yeah that...lol it is defiantly a WANT and not a need for sure. It is only used for the macro lense. It would be wonderful for flower pictures. I have a remote flash so different shadows are possible with food. Also have lighting to do the same affect, but to get a picture of a honey bee on a flower the macro lense flash would be a huge plus.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    just about any dslr will be more than enough. Lighting is the key. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• rtt121
    Options
    @DaveRichardson

That is awesome! Thank you!  

She has an apparatus much like first pic but needs this type of instruction!

• badinfluence
    Options
    That bottom cupcake picture was taken with a macro lense. Correct me if I'm wrong @daverichardson

Clinton, Iowa
  • Davec433
    Options
    @DaveRichardson that is an amazing setup.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Some good tips listed here already:

She can spend alot of money on a body, but I'd focus on glass at first.  Good glass will outlast your body.  For food photography, I use my 105mm f/2.8 macro lens most of the time.  I will also use a wide angle lens from time to time, which will come in handy if you do take up landscape photography.

She will need lighting and some foam board, plus other items to stage pics.  Dave covered that above.  She'll also need to study composition and will need to learn how to use the camera.  Otherwise, it will just be a big P&S.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Actually the cupcake was for a friends business. Shot with a Canon Rebel That's now 10+ years old with the cheap "Nifty 50" lens that's a fixed focal length of 50mm and steps down to f1.8 to get a good depth of field to blur out and give the background a fuzzy appearance for a low-res website icon. 

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• badinfluence
    Options
    Lol...see I was wrong...lol

Clinton, Iowa
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @badinfluence no worries, just got very lucky with the shot. That narrow depth of field is a great tool to use to save a lot of work in post-processing. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is the coolest sight ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    any decent dslr with a good macro lens will work.  the skill is in the lighting.
    i've done a lot of food work with a 100 mm lens with excellent results.  let your aperture control your depth of field.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Guess I'll stay over here in amateur hour with my $hitty beef, pork, chicken, pizza etc pics :tongue: 

https://youtu.be/ZSnLH6iaAgI
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Actually the cupcake was for a friends business. Shot with a Canon Rebel That's now 10+ years old with the cheap "Nifty 50" lens that's a fixed focal length of 50mm and steps down to f1.8 to get a good depth of field to blur out and give the background a fuzzy appearance for a low-res website icon. 
    @badinfluence no worries, just got very lucky with the shot. That narrow depth of field is a great tool to use to save a lot of work in post-processing. 
    LOL. why you messing with them Dave?  maybe cause they overlooked the Taylor Mathis Photography signature.  :tongue: 

https://fstoppers.com/food/how-choose-aperture-your-food-photography-4739
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I will offer up my two cents here.  

1 - If buying a DSLR, I recommend a used one, but a higher end one.  However, first go try some out somewhere where you can touch and feel a camera brand to see what you like.  There's a huge difference.  KEH is a great place to buy used cameras and lenses.  

1a - Buy good glass!  Skimp on the camera and get something nice for your lens.  A 50mm is a great lens for food photography for someone starting out.  

2- Learn how to use that camera.  I cannot stress this enough.  You should be able to shoot in full manual.  Learn what ISO, aperture, and shutter speed does.  Cover the rear up and learn to shoot in manual without using the rear screen.  

3 - Learn lighting (all types).  Natural diffused light is the best option.  

4 - Learn lighting along with your manual settings.  Shooting flash manually IS the best way.  

5 - Find what works for you for lighting.  Some like different items.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Tell her to hire a photographer with a portfolio she likes... and stick to what she already knows and is good at, being the head of marketing.

That's the best advice I can offer... Photography can be frustrating, food & macro, dealing with lighting etc even more so

Besides, most of my food images are taken with my iphone... it's not about the gear, it's about the eye.

Good luck and I hope she takes my advice and saves herself the headache... I'm sure being the head of marketing is tough enough without trying to learn an entirely different profession. It's kind of like going to law school because you want to fight a parking ticket, just ain't worth the trouble

H
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is so far outta my wheelhouse. I take (literally) hundreds of pics (each meal, life fun and work related stuff) from my phone and do so because A> The M8 takes a decent pic B> I always have my phone C> The pics can be uploaded quickly w/out much editing especially w/ the new apps available. I'm excited for the release of the M10, M10 Max, O2 or whatever they decide to name it. The front & rear camera are said to be probably much better than the M8 (M9 lacked imo in comparison to the 8). 4K resolution, 4K video and gnats ass pic clarity boast this to be pretty damn good. No actual details have been released but, it is said to go on the market sometime in 2016. DSLR no doubt has benefits but, the ingenuity and convenience have me coming back to HTC. YMMV. Could just be my lame ass opinion. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014