Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Food Camera - Advice needed

Options

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I would also add... how much experience does your wife have with Photoshop? Does she understand anything about post processing images, for example, how to correctly size and sharpen an image for use in print media, digital media, etc.

These are things that can and do take a long time and a lot of shooting to learn...

Not trying to be a debbie downer; but doing good photography (food or otherwise) is at least a full time pursuit. The company she is working for should know this... They wouldn't have Bob come in from accounting to work on one of their walk in cold boxes just because he changed the light bulb in his fridge once would they?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hap, you mean you simply cannot go buy a DSLR and have stunning pictures?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    Options
    cazzy said:
    ...  Otherwise, it will just be a big P&S.
    so true, I was using my Canon dslr as a big P&S most of the time, so I said to heck with it and got myself a real P&S (Canon G16), couldn't be happier  :)  The dslr's external flash alone is bigger than the G16.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    edited January 2016
    Options

... the cheap "Nifty 50" . 
    Great instructions! Love my 'nifty 50' but I seldom touch my dslr these days  :)
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    Options
    hapster said:
    Tell her to hire a photographer with a portfolio she likes... and stick to what she already knows and is good at, being the head of marketing.

That's the best advice I can offer... Photography can be frustrating, food & macro, dealing with lighting etc even more so

Besides, most of my food images are taken with my iphone... it's not about the gear, it's about the eye.

Good luck and I hope she takes my advice and saves herself the headache... I'm sure being the head of marketing is tough enough without trying to learn an entirely different profession. It's kind of like going to law school because you want to fight a parking ticket, just ain't worth the trouble

H
    Agreed. There's really is a bit more to taking better than average photos on a consistent basis than just having the "right" gear.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I switched to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have not looked back (i.e. have not touched my DSLR since).   Same size APS-C sensor as the DSLR (unless you're going full frame - but why would you?);   she'd be taking still shots, so focus speed is not an issue; in fact, I would get a nifty fifty (50mm) fast manual lens and adapter and shoot with that.   Only downside is flash options might not be as wide compared to a DSLR, and things like macro lens and macro flash might not be available (or will be very expensive).     
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I will offer up my two cents here.  

1 - If buying a DSLR, I recommend a used one, but a higher end one.  However, first go try some out somewhere where you can touch and feel a camera brand to see what you like.  There's a huge difference.  KEH is a great place to buy used cameras and lenses.  

1a - Buy good glass!  Skimp on the camera and get something nice for your lens.  A 50mm is a great lens for food photography for someone starting out.  

2- Learn how to use that camera.  I cannot stress this enough.  You should be able to shoot in full manual.  Learn what ISO, aperture, and shutter speed does.  Cover the rear up and learn to shoot in manual without using the rear screen.  

3 - Learn lighting (all types).  Natural diffused light is the best option.  

4 - Learn lighting along with your manual settings.  Shooting flash manually IS the best way.  

5 - Find what works for you for lighting.  Some like different items.  

Don't believe anything this novice db recommends.  He's just another hack.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm buying one from Ron Jeremy. I figure I can make anything look juicy through that lens. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    For all the IPhone Photographers check out https://www.olloclip.com pretty simple attachment you can use to expand the types of pictures you take.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    For all the IPhone Photographers check out https://www.olloclip.com pretty simple attachment you can use to expand the types of pictures you take.
    Well... Now that's cheating 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I switched to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have not looked back (i.e. have not touched my DSLR since).   Same size APS-C sensor as the DSLR (unless you're going full frame - but why would you?);   she'd be taking still shots, so focus speed is not an issue; in fact, I would get a nifty fifty (50mm) fast manual lens and adapter and shoot with that.   Only downside is flash options might not be as wide compared to a DSLR, and things like macro lens and macro flash might not be available (or will be very expensive).     
    Why would you? Better lenses at their proper length, better landscape photography and much better low light photography. I haven't touched my APS-C body since getting my full frame. Indoor available-light photography doesn't even compare with the ISOs I can shoot at versus a compact sensor.
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    What a bunch of crap. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Why would you go full frame? Anytime you increase sensor size,  you increase dynamic range, less noise, and handles larger ISOs. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Bayareabaker
    Options
    I agree, full frame is the way to go. 5D Mk3 for both food and landscape.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Why would you? Better lenses at their proper length, better landscape photography and much better low light photography. I haven't touched my APS-C body since getting my full frame. Indoor available-light photography doesn't even compare with the ISOs I can shoot at versus a compact sensor.
    Niiiice!!  When did you upgrade from your T3i(or 4)?  What you get?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about a full frame camera. Don't get me wrong they are nice. I would love to have a 5d mark 3. But I would rather spend my money on some nice lenses. First I would buy a nifty fifty F/1.8 then 24-70. F/2.8  I can shoot almost anything with those two lenses. I prefer canon but thats just me. I'm still rocking a t4i. But you could buy a new car for all the money I have in lenses.  I have a 50 f/1.8 ,20-35 f2.8,24-70 f2.8,70-200 f/2.8 and a 400 f/2.8. Lenses are like real estate you'll never lose money on them.  they're only going up. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I wouldn't be worried about a full frame camera. Don't get me wrong they are nice. I would love to have a 5d mark 3. But I would rather spend my money on some nice lenses. First I would buy a nifty fifty F/1.8 then 24-70. F/2.8  I can shoot almost anything with those two lenses. I prefer canon but thats just me. I'm still rocking a t4i. But you could buy a new car for all the money I have in lenses.  I have a 50 f/1.8 ,20-35 f2.8,24-70 f2.8,70-200 f/2.8 and a 400 f/2.8. Lenses are like real estate you'll never lose money on them.  they're only going up. 
    On a crop sensor, you have some great reach with your 70-200mm and 400mm.  Nice glass collection.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    Options
    @cazzy I got some of the high dollar stuff from my late father in law. He was that king of soccer photography in Dallas. He was the most talented photographer I've ever seen. He shot tons of soccer stuff from pro,world Cup, college and even youth. He started in the 70s when it was more of an art. Not like today when you can look at a screen to see if your out of focus. Lots of times if I used a camera after him the focus would be set to manual. I've always have been drawn to photography. My wife's college major was photography. She's taught me alot. I need to get back at it. I've been wanting to get into some night/low light shooting. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I wasn't suggesting to the OP, my comment was towards the person stating "why need FF".  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

SloppyJoe said:
    What a bunch of crap. 
    Please elaborate, Sir.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @DaveRichardson ... I really have to ask ... can you eat in the same restaurant twice?  Those were interesting set-ups you posted ... thanks for taking the time.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Question? Can these cameras upload easily on the fly or do you have to plug into a desktop or laptop and process first?  @cazzy @hapster @tarheelmatt or anybody else that can enlighten me in this question. Thanks
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @cazzy now I see the watermark. I was on my phone and the screen is not that big.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Question? Can these cameras upload easily on the fly or do you have to plug into a desktop or laptop and process first?  @cazzy @hapster @tarheelmatt or anybody else that can enlighten me in this question. Thanks
    Blake, 

They "can" be if you like.  Newer cameras have Wifi that you can send to your mobile device IF you shoot jpeg.  That's not the way I do them particularly as I shoot RAW 100% of the time.  So I shoot, take my card to my PC, import, process, export.  When I post here, I always reduce the size because file sizes are huge (15MB+ files).  After I export the reduced sized files, I'll upload to my website, write my post here, and link my pictures from my site so it'll load faster.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

@cazzy now I see the watermark. I was on my phone and the screen is not that big.
    If you're referring to the cupcake, someone is trying to take credit for someones work.... 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ...  When I post here, I always reduce the size because file sizes are huge (15MB+ files).  ...
    Thank you for that ... with my copper wire 256K internet connection, that is greatly appreciated.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    ...  When I post here, I always reduce the size because file sizes are huge (15MB+ files).  ...
    Thank you for that ... with my copper wire 256K internet connection, that is greatly appreciated.
    Just know you're always in my best interest @Jeepster47 !  :wink: 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • texaswig
    Options
    @tarheelmatt yeah I caught that. I'm with yea. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx