Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At the store right now... Need help... MAP vs Propane

Options
hey guys, at the store looking at a new torch for the BGE. What's better MAP gas or propane gas for the torch??? I just don't want to add any chemicals into the BBQ.
XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    either is fine.  MAP burns hotter.  Propane will work just dandy.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    MAP

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    From what I've read map is better.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Propane works great and cheaper.
    Been using it for years.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Buy a MAP torch and you can switch to propane if you want. I use MAP and the bottles last a long time. 8-9 months for me using it 5-6 times/week. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For lighting lump, propane works fine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mapp torch head with propane cylinder. You need the torch bec you need to use it upside down and the mapp head is better designed for that. You don't need mapp gas though. Propane is fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... oh damn ... didn't know that ... and here I've been using up my old bottles of the good stuff.  Seriously, thanks for the enlightenment. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mapp.  It will burn when torch is held upside down. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... oh damn ... didn't know that ... and here I've been using up my old bottles of the good stuff.  Seriously, thanks for the enlightenment. 
    Read an article about that a few years ago. Apparently MAPP (the real deal) was only made by one company in Canada. The company had that facility up for sale for a long time but nobody was interested in buying it so they just shut it down. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Mapp.  It will burn when torch is held upside down. 
    That's why I still pay the extra $$ for the yellow cans. The blue cans sputter too much when held upside down which is how I always hold mine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Got the yellow, no issues
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have no problem with propane.  I used to have a case of real MAPP gas, still a little left.   I wouldn't waste that starting lump, works better than propane for sweating copper plumbing.  Just buy propane for starting your lump.
    Options
    I go through maybe 1 and 1/2 canisters a year....don't waste your time analyzing and pick one and get to cooking.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I used light my lump with MAPP......got sacred of the stuff really quick and it went into storage.  You only need 670F to light charcoal.  5300F on a little piece caused some incredible popping, sparking etc.  So if you held it back and covered a larger area then it was less of a fireworks show.  Since volume for a larger coverage area was more important than heat, the weed burner made a lot more sense to me.  Hold that back about a foot from the lump and let her rip.  You'll heat a one square foot area in about 20-30 seconds without all the danger.

Being ex-EMS, I'm paranoid and keep my distance from anything remotely dangerous......fire being one of them.  You can flash yourself with a propane torch and be ok.  Make a mistake with a (real) MAPP torch and head to the ER because you're in for a painful recovery.  MAPP is freakin dangerous and should only be used when you really need it (sweating pipes you can't get all the water out.)  No need for it will charcoal.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mapp torch head with propane cylinder. You need the torch bec you need to use it upside down and the mapp head is better designed for that. You don't need mapp gas though. Propane is fine.

SPOT ON!!!!  I've gotten an extension hose for my propane tank so the tank stays upright, but the hot end can go all kinds of wonky directions!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    just get the nozzle with the hose attchment so you don't have to turn it upside down. There is no discernable difference for our uses between map pro and propane. It's 5x more expensive and it won't do anything that propane won't 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up going with MAP as the first few posts suggested, I figured I already have propane bottles at home I can use and will try this for the time being. I found this little tidbit on google for those interested.

"The effective BTU output is a measurement of the quantity of BTUs that actually go into the work piece when heated," said Paul Minter, VP / General Manager, TurboTorch. "Our lab tests have revealed that MAP//PRO has approximately a 10% greater BTU output over Propane and a 14% less effective BTU output than MAPP." 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're fine. Just use propane when you run out of map pro. $3 vs $10 and plenty hot enough.

According to the guy I talked to at Bernzomatic, it's okay to use propane with a Map-Pro torch head, but you should not use Map-Pro gas with a propane torch head. True or false, I don't know, but that's what he told me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    1move said:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up going with MAP as the first few posts suggested, I figured I already have propane bottles at home I can use and will try this for the time being. I found this little tidbit on google for those interested.

"The effective BTU output is a measurement of the quantity of BTUs that actually go into the work piece when heated," said Paul Minter, VP / General Manager, TurboTorch. "Our lab tests have revealed that MAP//PRO has approximately a 10% greater BTU output over Propane and a 14% less effective BTU output than MAPP." 

I don't know if I buy that.......I'm an aerodyanamics guy, not a thermodynamics, but MAPP is 5300F, MAP-pro (propylene) is 3600F, and Propane is 3500F.

You sure they were not talking about combining MAP-pro with Oxygen??  That would raise the temp quite a bit.  But you can get an extra 1000F out of propane with an O2 tank.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have the MAP head but I tried it with the cheap green bottles of propane.  I can not tell a difference.  I am buying the cheap bottles now.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Roadpuke0
    Options
    Map all the way
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    I use propane it's so much cheaper than MAPP with the same results. Much better than running an electric cord with other options.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Guys. We are talking about a price difference of $7 to $14 annually.  Go analyze your cell phone/cable/internet provider bill to save some real money.  Just pick one and go for it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have the MAP head but I tried it with the cheap green bottles of propane.  I can not tell a difference.  I am buying the cheap bottles now.  
    And with the green bottles being shorter and wider, they are more stable when you set them down, less of a chance of falling over.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Does using a propane torch cut down on the time it takes the lump to burn off the voc's vs using the electric starter or the cubes?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Does using a propane torch cut down on the time it takes the lump to burn off the voc's vs using the electric starter or the cubes?
    Not better than electric starter for that, but the cubes can put off nasty white smoke if they get snuffed out before completely burned up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Best part about the torch is that you truly can light the top surface only.  If you're going low & slow, this could save you a lot of trouble since the lump will burn from the top down.  Otherwise if you start at the bottom the heat/fire spreads upward.  Also, leave your grate in and you can burn off anything left over from last time as you light it.  Best way to light fire, is with fire.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use the torch to light my oil soaked paper towels. i put 3-4 of those in various spots around the lump bed and they are lit in 5 seconds. That is the best way I've found so far to get it going fast and cheap.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX