Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Special Thanks to @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Options

A special thanks goes to Cen-Tex Smoker for helping me out with meat glue for the first time.  I had it sitting in the fridge for sometime and decided to use it on Turkey day.  It was definitely fun to play with for the first time.  Hope you enjoy.  
Everything was cooked on the MM as we had to travel this year due to some heath issue.  Turkey seared on CI and ham was heated for about an hour with no wood added.  I was asked already to repeat the meal for XMas and I said NO I would come up with something better.  The crispy skin was the best and I wont do turkey skin any other way now.  
Thanks again 
@The Cen-Tex Smoker 

Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great!!

That cen-tex guy is a good dude!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub brother. The first plated shot is sure enough money!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @McStew
    Above you said that the skin was great but I didn't see where you said what you did to it. If I may ask, what was your method for the skin?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @SGH
    It was very simple I removed the skin and remove all the fat under the outer layer of skin, place on a baking sheet and place another backing sheet on top to push out all the air bubbles so the skin sits nice and flat between the two sheets.  Place in oven at 400 degrees and bake until it is evenly golden brown.  
    The skin tasted like lechon 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    @SGH
    In the third and forth pictures ( skin that looks like chips )  you can see that the pieces of skin remain flat because of the two baking sheets.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    Options
    McStew said:
    @SGH
     I removed the skin and remove all the fat under the outer layer of skin, place on a baking sheet and place another backing sheet on top to push out all the air bubbles so the skin sits nice and flat between the two sheets.  Place in oven at 400 degrees and bake until it is evenly golden brown.  
    I do something real similar for chicken thighs. However instead of the baking sheets, I work it like lightly with a meat hammer. You method is probably easier and less work. Will give it a try and thanks for sharing. 

Status- Standing by.

• McStew
    Options
    @SGH so you pound it out then put it back on?   =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Where did the meat glue come into play?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SGH
    Options
    McStew said:
    @SGH so you pound it out then put it back on?   =)
    Yes sir, just carefully wrap it back on my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• McStew
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Where did the meat glue come into play?
    Each log was two 2.5 lb turkey breasts glued together then saran wrapped into a tube. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bam!  Looks bangin' Yo!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice job! That looks like professional work right there. gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    So, is the skin from the dark meat?  I was looking to do something similar, but couldn't get the glue in time. 
  • McStew
    Options
    @theyolksonyou the skin was from the breasts of two birds. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how you did this but it looks like the roulades in the bags are skinless but they have skin when served. Am I seeing that incorrectly?

• McStew
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how you did this but it looks like the roulades in the bags are skinless but they have skin when served. Am I seeing that incorrectly?

So everything pictured here was skinless ... The only skin in this picture is on the north and south side of the plate (skin chips) the turkey log was seared and basted in a CI pan for the golden brown look 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow- that looks awesome. I knew we discussed you doing it skinless but that sear made it look like you changed your mind. Great looking bird. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What did you baste with? That looks great. I'll try that. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You rocked it, no question about it.
    Meat glue is fun stuff, I need to get mine out and play again soon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • McStew
    Options
    What did you baste with? That looks great. I'll try that. 

Lots of Butter two sticks pictured and herbs ... I'm in the flipping category .... 2-3 seconds turn repeat until you get your desired color 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Well shiit, frankenturkey - take it apart and put it back together.  Very cool idea and great execution.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Butter is good. I like butter. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks amazing.  I'm sold on the skin chips. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Wow, until later in the post I thought that was skin! Great color on the sear.  I bet that would make some outstanding lunch meat on the slicer as well. Great post!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Also, skin chips?!?! That is the post it note (why didn't anyone think of that before) idea of the century! Although the life expectancy rate on the forum just went down by a year or two...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've done the turkey breast end to end thing, but I didn't execute nearly as well as this! Great job. Turkey skin chips is on my short list now!

Did you just hand form the "tube" shape for the turkey or did you stuff it in an actual tube to get the round shape?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • McStew
    Options
    I've done the turkey breast end to end thing, but I didn't execute nearly as well as this! Great job. Turkey skin chips is on my short list now!

Did you just hand form the "tube" shape for the turkey or did you stuff it in an actual tube to get the round shape?
    saran wrap the two breasts together leaving about 4-6 inches on each side and roll into shape.  Once loosely rolled into shape twist the ends in opposite directions until it looks like a jimmy dean sausage tie each end off with butches twine place in a vacuum seal bag and  seal away. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wow, until later in the post I thought that was skin! Great color on the sear.  I bet that would make some outstanding lunch meat on the slicer as well. Great post!
    I'm a big fan of skinless turkey! 

@McStew Love your cook even more now!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • McStew
    Options
    @cazzy its the only way to do it .... bake the skin next time you wont eat it any other way once you do  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    Stay tuned I have been experimenting with molecular gastronomy.  The meat glue was the first item presented to anyone and it was a hit.  
    Hermosa Beach CA