Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket

Options
I finally bought one, and now I can't understand why I put off getting one. It's great. All I have to do is lift the basket out, shake it over a trash bin, and use my shop vac to clean the firebox.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber Gold
Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca

Comments

• A5firearms
    Options
    Yup
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    I agree! Recently purchased a large and then TGD evening I ordered one for my small! Brace yourself though as the non-believers here love to slam it and slam you as if they are named in your will and your expenditure is cheating them!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2015
    Options

Received our KAB Wednesday (before above-mentioned ballyhoo) and used it today for the first time for ham and whole pineapple.

I haven't removed ash yet, but . . .
    I was caught off-guard by how quickly our LBGE reached temp (300° ).  I'm accustomed to being able to get prep and other stuff done while temp rises, but it got there much faster than customary.  I only glanced outside thru luck and caught it when dome was only ten degrees too high.

Didn't time it, but the difference in speed was remarkable.

PLUS:  received a complimentary KAB koozie!
    Woo hoo!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Received our KAB Wednesday (before above-mentioned bally-hoo) and used it today for the first time for ham and whole pineapple.

I was caught off-guard by how quickly our LBGE reached temp (300° ).  I'm accustomed to being able to get prep and other stuff done while temp rises, but it got there much faster than customary.  I only glanced outside thru luck and caught it when dome was only ten degrees too high.

Woo hoo!

I tried to tell you it's a bipartisan, awesome gadget! Enjoy!
  • Sardonicus
    edited November 2015
    Options

Received our KAB Wednesday (before above-mentioned bally-hoo) and used it today for the first time for ham and whole pineapple.

Woo hoo!

All things Q are bi-partisan!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Woo hoo!

All Q is bi-partisan!

I really like the increased air flow along with the side hole protection shaking the ash is totally a secondary benefit for me. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I find that with the KAB in my Large I can control the temperature so well that I don't even bother with the DigiQ anymore! I haven't done a long cook with the KAB in the Small yet so I can't say. 

Anyone have that same experience?
    Judy in San Diego
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    This is on my list for my xl. 
    Mark Annville, PA
  • A5firearms
    Options
    I just got one this week and have done 3 cooks with it. Love it as well.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    ;) I can't help it!!!!!! I told ya sooooooo! Great product for sure and worth every penny.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I keep looking at these.    My only concerns are:

1)  The holes/slats look large, like small pieces of unburned coal will fall through, wasting charcoal.   This has held me back from buying one.....it just looks really open.

2)  With it being so open, is it harder to hold temps low for low and slow cooks.      Occasionally, depending on ambient temperature, humidity, the bbq Gods, etc, I have trouble keeping the Egg below 275, even woth vents almost closed down.    Will increased airflow in the kick ash basket make this even worse?

Otherwise, I'd love a simpler way to keep the egg cleaned and a way to keep the ash from falling through the holes outside the firebox.    That pile that accumulates at the very back behind the firebox drives me crazy.   

Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    I keep looking at these.    My only concerns are:

1)  The holes/slats look large, like small pieces of unburned coal will fall through, wasting charcoal.   This has held me back from buying one.....it just looks really open.

2)  With it being so open, is it harder to hold temps low for low and slow cooks.      Occasionally, depending on ambient temperature, humidity, the bbq Gods, etc, I have trouble keeping the Egg below 275, even woth vents almost closed down.    Will increased airflow in the kick ash basket make this even worse?

Otherwise, I'd love a simpler way to keep the egg cleaned and a way to keep the ash from falling through the holes outside the firebox.    That pile that accumulates at the very back behind the firebox drives me crazy.   

I hear you, but the small shards of charcoal lost are minisicule! They are the ones that stop up the holes in a OME grate. The spacing between the rings on the bottom are closer than the space of the walls of the basket. Therefore as lump burns and turns to ash the small pieces filter to the bottom to fall out while the larger pieces remain "connected" on the walls. As for air flow - yes- it is GREATLY improved so you just learn to sneak up on your temperature by smaller vent opening. The learning curve is not difficult.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    < finds nearest lake, jumps in >
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sardonicus
    Options

Stop it, John!

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    ya'll quits yer teasin' naw

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options

Question.   Does using the basket have any impact on the ability to cook low and slow?   Do if cause the lump to burn faster, thus causing adjustments to air flow vents compared to using the BGE grate?

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Yes you'll have to relearn your vent settings, but that's with anything.  The smokeware cap has the same learning curve as well as the high que grate, and in this case the KAB.

Once you get the hang of it, smooth sailing.  

The device doesn't hinder cooking low and slow it allows for better controls due to the potential for increased airflow.  How you maintain the intake determines the temp.  Instead of getting the OEM grate plugged with small lump or ash, the KAB elimamates that scenario.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I've got two large egg baskets and recently a small egg kick ash basket.  They work great.  Easy to remove old charcoal and most of the ash with the baskets.  No problems with low-n- slow cooks, I control airflow accordingly with adjustment to the intake and exhaust.  Excellent product.   
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had one in my Large for quite a while now, and,finally, they came out with one that will fit my KJ, Jr. I jumped on that like a rooster on a June bug and, man, I love them both. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Or  Duck on a Beaver @jaydub58   :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Ha Ha!  Very well put, Scott. 
    Although, for a while Friday, it kinda looked like the jumping might go the other way. 
    Whew!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Saw that!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    John stop the madness! Kick Ash Baskets ROCK and you know it.....

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    Love mine and love to shake my ash.  ;)
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have noticed a crack in grate for lump on my XL and was thinking about getting the KAB and seen the price was $80.  So it is worth the money?  Does it replace the lump grate?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... can't speak to the XL basket, but on my large eggs I can.  I installed a Version 1 basket with the thinner wire on my favorite egg a year ago.  Took out the lump grate and installed the KAB.  That egg gets used 90% of the time and there is no sagging of the bottom.  Helps with airflow both through the bottom and through the side holes ... keeps the small lump pieces from plugging the air holes.  Clean up is fast.  If you end up with a lot of dust and small chunks in the bottom of a bag of lump you can use the basket to filter out the fines.  Yep, they cost more than seems reasonable.  But, when one fails I'll dig deep and buy a replacement.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have noticed a crack in grate for lump on my XL and was thinking about getting the KAB and seen the price was $80.  So it is worth the money?  Does it replace the lump grate?
    How long have you had your egg? It has a 5 year limited warranty on the fire grate. I had mine replaced under warranty.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I just got a KAB and it does replace the grate.  My XL is 4 years old and t had to replace the grate under warranty. No problem,  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    How long have you had your egg? It has a 5 year limited warranty on the fire grate. I had mine replaced under warranty.

@WeberWho? Was yours cracked all the way through before it was warrantied? Mine is cracked halfway through but it still is very solid. Want it get mine replaced under warranty as well.