Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pear smoking chunks? Specifically seasoned Bradford Pear?

I helped my FIL trim his trees 2 years ago and have some branches on my wood pile. Would Bradford Pear be a good or bad idea to smoke tomorrow's turkey?
XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I think bad. They have an off smell when they bloom.
  • I helped my FIL trim his trees 2 years ago and have some branches on my wood pile. Would Bradford Pear be a good or bad idea to smoke tomorrow's turkey?
    It would be a bad idea to try something new without testing it first. Go with what you know on the big day

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and if that wood tastes anything like my Bradford Pear smells when it blooms in the spring...no thanks. Just knowing that is in there somewhere makes me think I wouldn't do it

• Is that the general rule? The smoke will smell like the bloom?
  • Is that the general rule? The smoke will smell like the bloom?
    no but i don't recall my oak trees smelling like shrimp :). I just wouldn't add any unknown wood to my turkey cook without playing around with it. Especially knowing there is a compound in there that smells horrible when it does bloom.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Is that the general rule? The smoke will smell like the bloom?
    no but i don't recall my oak trees smelling like shrimp :). I just wouldn't add any unknown wood to my turkey cook without playing around with it. Especially knowing there is a compound in there that smells horrible when it does bloom.

Shrimp is a pleasant way to put it. It smells like a giant cum tree.
  • Lit said:

Shrimp is a pleasant way to put it. It smells like a giant cum tree.
    I was trying to be somewhat polite but I see we are past that now :lol: 

• Well everyone on BbqBretheren says it's fantastic. I've got both hickory and Pear soaking. I'll sleep on it. 
  • Well everyone on BbqBretheren says it's fantastic. I've got both hickory and Pear soaking. I'll sleep on it. 
    OK- you don't need to soak for your bge though. I wouldn't try something new on Thanksgiving but that's just me

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    No sir, it will not. Bradford Pear actually produces a very light smoke profile that is akin to Apple. I wouldn't use it green. It's kind of like mesquite in this regard that it's much stronger when green and kind of bitter. However properly  seasoned Bradford Pear is perfectly fine for smoking. Trust me on this one my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    However properly  seasoned Bradford Pear is perfectly fine for smoking.

Good to know. We've had to take down two that were storm damaged this year and one last year. We've got them all over our property. Those suckers are about 40 feet tall. Next one, we'll have the tree guys cut them up and store for smoking. Thanks for the info @SGH. Is it just a matter of letting them season or is there anything special that needs to be done other than drying them out? Newbie here.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    @Dredger - Just let it season well and it's good to go. You can use it green, however I don't recommend it as it is much stronger (like mesquite) than when seasoned. Properly seasoned Bradford Pear smoke will remind you of apple in a off beat kind of way. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    edited November 2015
    @SGH, sweet. I know it stinks to the high heavens when it blooms in spring, but it's nice to know it has a redeeming feature. I'm sure there will be many more taken down by storms in the future, so we'll have the tree guys just cut and stack in the future rather than hauling it off. Thanks so much for the info. I like off beat, lol. Anything good about river birch (the curse of mankind) wood that you can share? It rains limbs and leaves year round. I was in the kitchen and saw a 7 foot branch from one of the river birch trees fall and impale itself into the ground. It just stood there. Reminded me of a scene from The Exorcist or was that The Omen?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Dredger said:
    Anything good about river birch (the curse of mankind) wood that you can share? 
    Sister, in almost 3 years and thousands of questions posed, you finally asked one that I do not have a answer for. I don't have a clue about the river birch. I almost feel defeated in a way.  

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    @SGH, sorry buddy. I feel like having them cut down except they are excellent shade trees sporadically. They literally shed leaves and limbs year round. It's like nothing I have ever seen. We save some of the branches to use in our Silverfire, but mostly, the limbs go to the dump. We have beautiful trees here. The perimeter is lined with Leland Cypress trees, there are holly trees, crepe myrtle trees, Japanese maple trees and a few more. The only problematic ones are the river birches and Bradford pears that are prone to storm damage. If I discover a use for them other than kindling, I will let you know. It would be fantastic if they were good for smoking. I may throw a few branches on and see. I'll report back, but I don't recommend planting one, lol. We have noticed our neighbors cutting most of theirs down and we're contemplating the same thing. You have to wonder what was the developer thinking? Duh!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Well I went for the Bradford Pear. I always do Mad Max's method. And I'm happy to report that everyone had nice things to say about the smokey flavor. "Mild" and "Light" was the consensus. I used 6 fist sized chunks. More than I usually use. But it turned out fine. It put off an enjoyable smelling smoke for the duration of the cook. 

21.3lb fresh bird at 325F took exactly 4 hours. Nicely browned and herbed skin. One guest commented it was the prettiest turkey she had ever seen. I always prefer using cherry chunks. But I didn't remember that detail till too late this year. Pear to the rescue!