Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cost of replacement DFMT?

Options
SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Guys - I managed to break the DFMT for my Mini BGE (don't ask how).

What should a replacement cost?

I tried ordering a new one through my local dealer, and the first guy misunderstood and ordered a ceramic ran cap (doh!).  Pretty amazing as I said it's the "BLACK, CAST IRON cap assembly that goes over the chimney"..

This is the "biggest" BGE dealer in the area, too.  They sell a ton of BGE so SHOULD know better!

Just want to make sure they are getting it right.

BTW, if there's a trick to keeping the fly wheel moveable and not jammed up with grease and other gunk, that will be helpful in my not breaking the next one!

TIA..

- SB
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Unless you are trying to hold sub 350 temps you don't really need a daisy for the mini.  Mine hasn't been used but 1 since I got the mini about 6months ago.  You just gotta catch the fire a lot quicker than you do on the other eggs.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    $35 in the USA $63 Canada. Those are the prices I recently got
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't bother with one. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    After use - if you use one, throw it in the egg for few minutes before you snuff it. The gunk will be reduced. If you do a high temp cook - without the DFMT in place, before you snuff it, throw the DFMT onto the grid and let the egg rip for 5-10 minutes, will clean it right up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I know there is a currency exchange issue

I know there is additional shipping costs

I know you get taxed heavier than we do

But I don't understand that great of a difference! You guys seem to get screwed, but I don't understand why!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'd try to roll without it, I only use it for lower than 300.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    When you are done cooking, remove the damper and place it on the cooking grid while the egg is hot. It kinda cleans it by burning off the crud. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Anyone know if there is anyway to convert a smokware cap to fit he mini? That would be cool
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Thanks, everyone..I have a new one on order and it's coming in north of $40.  Hopefully my local dealer actually knows what a DFMT is! (Not confident after they first ordered me a ceramic rain cap..)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    You guys seem to get screwed, 
    Ron, I was going to make a pretty good joke here, but atlas my medicine has kicked in and settled me down. As such, I will save it until tomorrow my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    When you are done cooking, remove the damper and place it on the cooking grid while the egg is hot. It kinda cleans it by burning off the crud. 

I did this with one of mine this summer in a nuclear clean burn and ever since it has rusted bad.  Maybe burned it too hot?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

I did this with one of mine this summer in a nuclear clean burn and ever since it has rusted bad.  Maybe burned it too hot?
    You burned off the seasoning.  Apply oil and season.
    Options
    It is totally not needed. I have 4 Eggs and zero DFMT.  Save your money. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know there is a currency exchange issue

I know there is additional shipping costs

I know you get taxed heavier than we do

But I don't understand that great of a difference! You guys seem to get screwed, but I don't understand why!
    and our residential mortgage interest payments are not tax deductible, however we also get 'screwed' (colonoscopy and prostate exam) for free  =)
    canuckland