Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Smoked A Ham On The Egg

Options
With all of the ham threads going, I decided it was time for us to give it a try. Thanks to everyone that posted their ham cooks. Turned out great. Just simple mashed potatoes and green beans for sides. Went indirect at 300 degrees for a little over 5 hours. The ham weighed a little over 7 pounds. Used sugar maple and a little cherry wood for smoke. Will do this again soon.

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Well done sister. Awesome job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @SGH! I will add a few more sides when we do the Thanksgiving thing this week, but for this one, I felt less was better. It is eggnog season, you know. Trying to save a few calories here and there to make room.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Bump.....because sister Dredger is one of my favorites and this is a great cook to boot.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't done a ham since Easter. Thinking I need to rectify that. Christmas seems like a good time. 

I I have a bag of sugar maple that I haven't opened. How's the flavor?
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @SGH, I appreciate that. @theyolksonyou, the flavor was very good. I am enjoying using different woods for smoke. Sampled a bite of the leftovers a little while ago and it seems better today than it was yesterday. Thursday, we are also going to smoke a turkey. We'll use apple for that.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I do enjoy ham, has to bee one of the favorites for big family meals, and certainly when they are gone, GREAT SAMMIES!!!!!!
    I love maple and cherry as the choice of smoke too. Awesome cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon. We like the sammies too. We're lucky enough to still get good tomatoes this time of year and that just sets if off along with a generous slather of Duke's mayo. We portion off small amounts and vacuum seal for adding to many different dishes like omelets and casseroles. That ham bone is destined for a New Year's pot of black eyed peas if I can keep it from going home with someone else, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Thanks @YukonRon. We like the sammies too. We're lucky enough to still get good tomatoes this time of year and that just sets if off along with a generous slather of Duke's mayo. We portion off small amounts and vacuum seal for adding to many different dishes like omelets and casseroles. That ham bone is destined for a New Year's pot of black eyed peas if I can keep it from going home with someone else, lol.
    I am a bit more stingy than you, they leave with that ham bone they better be wearing it. It is perfect for adding flavor in soooooo many things. I love using the ham in my white potato and green beans. Fresh tomatoes, sometime lif is just not as fair as I would like it to be, LOL.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    Fresh tomatoes, sometime lif is just not as fair as I would like it to be, LOL.

I hear ya. Don't know how much longer we can get good ones, but we'll buy them until the cardboard ones show up. Regarding the ham bone, I think I'll hide it in the garage fridge and tell them that it was a boneless ham, lol.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I love a simple smoked ham like you have done. I have not done one since I've had my egg. I'll have to fix that situation before Christmas. Thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Fresh tomatoes, sometime lif is just not as fair as I would like it to be, LOL.

I hear ya. Don't know how much longer we can get good ones, but we'll buy them until the cardboard ones show up. Regarding the ham bone, I think I'll hide it in the garage fridge and tell them that it was a boneless ham, lol.

@Dredger I like the way you think

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    @SciAggie, I love a simple ham just because of all the things you can do with it. I have to thank all of the guys here that posted their cooks. @YukonRon, I have learned to be sneaky, lol. The kids will clean us out if we let them. That's why were're giving the daughter and son-in-law a smoker for their birthdays, which are a couple of days apart. Maybe then left overs will happen for our house. Hoping. I know you have all been there. When the granddaughter says "Grandma, this is so good", you know it's going home with them. Just sayin. Yep, I'm a push-over.  
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dredger said:
    When the granddaughter says "Grandma, this is so good", you know it's going home with them. Just sayin. Yep, I'm a push-over.  
    Just a good ol South Carolinian. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Options
    @northGAcock, thanks - born and raised. I have lived in many different states, but when we retired, we came back home to good ol South Carolina to the foothills of the mountains.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    There is something to be said for the mountains in the South.
    I was born and raised in the western shadows of Appalachia, and have lived all over the world.
    Hemingway once said "You can never go home again."
    Not wishing to argue the context of his writing, but it is safe to say, he likely did not live nor stay on a visit, very long, in our part of America.
    This is truly, a unique area of the world which beckons to us, to identify it as "Home" with so much pride.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    I agree @YukonRon, this is a beautiful area.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC