Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT - Filson Luggage

Options
I know that there are a lot of frequent travelers on here hence the reason for my post. 

Do any of you have Filson luggage? If so, do you check it and how well has it held up? I love Filson products but I don't have any experience with their luggage. I'm sick of luggage (Samsonite) only making it through a couple of trips before seams and zippers start coming apart. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i would be afraid someone might steal it just for the bag, ive seen some shifty things with my flyrod dissapearing in airports like hiding it behind doors, columns etc so now i use a heavey duffle made for scuba diving that fits the rods. have picked up the filsons, would love one but....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I travel a lot for work and I have found that OGIO bags are most rugged in my opinion. I have had several over the past 10 years and only one zipper problem but that could have been prevented.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I put in 60K air miles a year-
    1. I only check a bag when the ladies in my house join me for a trip.  I can do 6 days of business travel in a carry on.
    2. I buy <$80 bags from Kohls, Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx of some sort.  I am hard on bags- 2 years is a good run.  I did have one from Costco that still worked fine after 250K miles I was just tired of it.
    3. I had terrible luck with a Samsonite- it was off balance from minute one, forget putting your work case on top it would imediately fall over.
    4. Try and pick one that looks unique if you are going to check them.  There are a million black bags and lots of Red.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've had Filson bags for 20 years. Durable but heavy. They're nice and lifetime bags. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • air1keh
    Options
    I have one of their bags and have used it for travel for the last five years. I have carried it on and checked it at least fifty times in total with absolutely no issues. Nothing has broken and not one thread has come out.

I will say this, there are two costs for Filson durability. One is the actual cost of the goods - they are not cheap but you also get what you pay for. The other cost is weight - even in their clothing line. All of their stuff is just dang heavy and this bag is heavier than most of its size. That said, you could hit the thing with a bus and it would probably be OK.

If the weight doesn't bother you and you have the bucks enjoy the bag.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I had a filson briefcase for 10 years. I travel most every week for work. I had to give it away because I got tired of looking at it. That thing was a beast. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Have you looked into LL Bean luggage? I've never owned their wheeled items, but I have a suit bag and a small duffle that have been through a lot. They have to be 30 years old now and I still use em. Nothing has ever ripped or broken. I haven't priced them lately, but I just looked at Filson...holy crap!!

LLB has a lifetime return policy too. Or I assume they still do. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I haven't priced them lately, but I just looked at Filson...holy crap!!

I'd hate to add up the money spent on crappy luggage over the years. Buying quality only stings once. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    henapple said:
    I've had Filson bags for 20 years. Durable but heavy. They're nice and lifetime bags. 
    Are yours balanced? My current bags want to tip over regardless of how you pack them. It's such a PITA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have tried them all. Hard shell, Soft shell, duffle bags, gear bags, back packs, you name it, I bought it. 
    I have two I really like, a soft side Samsonite set I bought at Costco, (light and cheap) and a set made by a back packing company, Osprey. I fly as much as 100X/year. Things that are important to me is long term durability, maneuverability, handle position/function and light weight. 
    Both have served well. The Samsonite I have used the most it seems. Like you my experience, has been dismal with the typical cases before. I have taken it around the world and have cris crossed the country at least a couple hundred times. I keep expecting it to be busted when I see it on the belt. It has taken a beating, no zipper rips, no wheels broke, handle performs great. The best part of it, it holds a ton of stuff for a small portable. The large is ridiculous. It will hold a massive amount, though not used nearly as much as the small, it has traveled around the world, and taken a beating.
    The Osprey, I carry it on mostly, but, it  only has about 50 trips checked. Awesome. Light weight, durable handle is great. Really nice bag and nice looking.  I recommend both.
    For the money, Costco Samsonite, liberal return too.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky