Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would this be throwing away money stupidly or just mildly so?

Options
Greetings-

My local grocery store has put an Akorn grill, fully assembled, with all the normal pieces included, on sale for $199. This is well below the normal cost of this grill and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger, my rationale being the following:

For $200 I can get a serviceable grill that can live in the garage when not being used and will only be used when we have big parties. How often do we have big parties(10+ people) you ask? Three or four times a year. My main grill will still be the Egg for daily use. I have a broken plate setter (busted leg) that I believe I can MacGyver into working on the Akorn to make it work as a smoker without having to buy their version, a further savings. I read about keeping the temp below 700° and since it would be the auxiliary unit for big cooks I don't foresee that I would need to do really high temp cooking on the Akorn. If/When it finally wears out, I am only out $200.

So, should I do this or am I just throwing money away? One other key factor, I do have the full support of SWMBO to make the purchase =)

Standing by to hear the thoughts of wiser folks than me, thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    Not wiser by any means, but for that investment I would go for it.  A second cooking appliance, however you get there provides a whole lot of flexibility.  But it's not my $$ so easy to suggest you spend.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Yep I'd buy one
    Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    I'd do it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Sounds smart to me for the reasons above.  $200 frankly doesn't seem like an awful lot for the flexibility you'd be picking up.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I would do it for sure.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you pull the trigger , check out threads on BBQ brethren and other sites about mods you can do to optimize it. 

Have you you thought about a weber smokey mountain bullet smoker? Lots of happy customers. Weber warranty and service are also top notch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Hell yeah.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    My BIL has one. It's worth that price all day long 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    @northGAcock - Disagree and no counter post...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Greetings-

My local grocery store has put an Akorn grill, fully assembled, with all the normal pieces included, on sale for $199. This is well below the normal cost of this grill and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger, my rationale being the following:

If you miss that one, the Schnucks in Eureka still had one as of yesterday.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @northGAcock - Disagree and no counter post...
    Must have been a fat finger. My apologies.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    So, should I do this or am I just throwing money away? One other key factor, I do have the full support of SWMBO to make the purchase.
    The hard part is over.   =)  Now you simply have to ask yourself, "During the past annual parties I host, have I needed, or really wanted, an extra grilling surface?"  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 78 T140E
    Options
    I am not certain, but I think that the Acorn is a few inches larger than the Egg.  Your plate setter may not work like you wanted.  It might be worth checking before you buy - if that was a major factor in your justification to buy the Acorn.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Guess I'll be the outcast again. I'd skip it and buy a weber or barrel chargriller. Take the lessons you've learned from using your egg, and apply them to what ever vessel you choose and really wow your guests. 

Or in my case, blow the whole meal and look like the dumbass I really am. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    It could make a good traveling setup also. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information and alternate choices. @stlcharcoal - thanks for the heads up, I will use that as plan B.

I will look into the Weber and barrell. Thanks to @78 T140E I will take a tape measure and double check.

Any other thoughts are still welcome!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • 78 T140E
    Options
    Both Lowe's and HomeDepot sell the Acorn and they spec 314 sq. in. of primary cooking space.  314 sq. in. = 20 in diameter.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Our friends in GA have one and it works just fine. They've had theirs a few years with no issues. Go for it.  Why not especially for the purpose you have given. But, I wouldn't pigeon hole myself...look at other cookers with similar price point. Good luck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    It's a great supplement to the egg and with the right accessories and know how, it can produce results similar to an egg.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    If you belong to Sam's Club they had medium Vision grills on clearance last fall for around $200. I would have picked one up without hesitating if I had the room and was looking for extra space
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That sounds like a great deal. I have been eyeing a pellet grill lately, but still haven't decided. You may not use it all of the time, but it would be very nice to have when you need it. The way I look at it is, anything that makes the job easier, then why not? I like to enjoy entertaining rather than stress about not having the proper tools to cook with.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I owned one of those before my egg. I gave it away when I got the egg. I sometimes regret that move when I have to cook for quite a few people. The price is good and there's nothing wrong with an Akorn.
    Danville, Il
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    When I saw this thread title, I thought for sure it was going to be another discussion of the KickAsh Basket.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you have space then go for it. It's not much more than a weber kettle. You'll use it for parties. If you get into baking you can keep it "smoke free."  If you don't use it as much as you want I bet someone would buy it from you next year for $100.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greeti

Got it today, thanks for all the advice! Will post pics once it is in place and running.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have an akorn jr at our vacation place and it's great 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario