Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress cutting board

Options

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    They all look great, I love live edge, I am still looking for a nice cutting board with a live edge, I bought a cheap one 2 weeks ago, but am still searching for a really nice one. I love yours, nice work!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • shadowrider
    Options
    Nola that looks great.  Is that an Incra fence I see in the pics?  Here's my new toy.  It now wears an Incra CleanSweep w/PC 892 router plus a box I built for dust collection on the saw.

Also your desk looks like it might be good for my bathroom vanity top. Can I find heavy Cypress in Oklahoma?  Hmm...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @shadowrider - Nice, how do you like that fence system?

I almost bought that set up but it needs a lot of space that I don't have, plus I have the Festool Rail saw system for precision stuff.  I did buy the outfeed roller system for my saw - best $400 I ever spent.

I do have an Incra sled for mitering and the fancy Incra router system.  I'll try to snap some pics.
    Options
    Very nice work man!  I need something like that. I'm sure it would help keep my knives from dulling quite as fast.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks Blake.  Soft wood, while women don't like it, knives do. 
    Options
    Gorgeous work @nolaegghead. If you plan on using it as a serving platter, have you thought about routing a bloodline around the edge?

I also like the live edge as well, and anything that involves Festool. Thinking the Kapex is my next purchase. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ilwaldens
    Options
    You could make and sell the cutting board.  I would purchase one.  Everything looks beautiful.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a sweet looking board indeed. The items made for your neigbors turned out very nicely as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's a beauty! 

Options
    If you find that missing after Brisket Camp, I didn't take it...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shadowrider
    Options
    @shadowrider - Nice, how do you like that fence system?

I almost bought that set up but it needs a lot of space that I don't have, plus I have the Festool Rail saw system for precision stuff.  I did buy the outfeed roller system for my saw - best $400 I ever spent.

I do have an Incra sled for mitering and the fancy Incra router system.  I'll try to snap some pics.
    I absolutely love it.  I was once a machinist so I still have my dial indicators, mics and such.  The repeatability and accuracy (.001") is spot on.  I figured I'd be lucky to get .003 but no, it's dead nuts .001 each click going back and forth, it sets right in when you engage the clamp just like they claim.

On the right tilt Unisaw it almost has an unfair advantage.  I comes with 3 sets of stops.  One for normal saw use like it's pictured above, one for sliding it over to use on the router table, and another to use when ripping on the left side of the blade (beveled rips).  Takes about 1 minute to switch to any of those positions and once dialed in it repeats fantastic.  Now I just need to get busy learning how to do the bazillion joints it will do.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Love the pix of the shop! I own company that sharpens and sells woodworking tools (saw blades, router bits etc.) If I can ever be of any help, please contact me. Happy to sell at my cost - just call it the BGE discount!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @TCT awesome.  I have some forrest blades that need sharpening.  And more..
    Options
    Options
    Sorry, shop is a wreck right now.
    I feel better about my basement  =)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I feel better about my basement  =)
    Don't feel bad for the schadenfreude....

Misery loves company my friend. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    cook861 said:
    that would make a great Charcuterie  board
    This forum has me Googling words and figuring out acronyms on a regular basis. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    This is my table saw:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife/G0690

I love this saw.  Highly recommend it if you're looking for a good professional level but cheap saw. I have it set up perfectly and the outfeed roller system manages large sheets and long stock.  Normally have a Forrest blade on it but I've been resawing recycled wood and hit a nail occasionally.

So I just bought a house.. Want a woodworking shop in the basement...

...this thread isn't helping...

BEA-YOUUUUUUU-TIFUL work, nola!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel Thank you sir!

Woodworking is cathartic.  I would be locked up in an asylum if I didn't have that outlet.
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Gorgeous work @nolaegghead. If you plan on using it as a serving platter, have you thought about routing a bloodline around the edge?

I also like the live edge as well, and anything that involves Festool. Thinking the Kapex is my next purchase. 
    @CTMike - thanks much!  I think I'm gonna leave this one as is, but I'm making a trip to this guy (long story) who has a lot more of this and many exotic local woods.  Sinker cypress, rainbow pine, etc.  Might do a pickup load and see if anyone here wants to do a group buy.

I almost bought the Kapex but I get by with my Milwaukee compound sliding miter just fine. Anything bigger I have an Incra sliding miter sled, plus the Festool table miter system, and plenty of rail for the Festool saw.  I love the precision of their tools.  Brushless motors, computer controllers, great dust collection.  It's the Mercedes of woodworking.  

You know you're getting your money's worth on the tools when you start spending a small fortune on the consumables.  ;)
    Options
    Wow......neat board there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice work, Nola.  That Cypress is beautiful wood.  I never get tired of looking at the grain in that stuff.  Very pleasing to the eyes to be sure.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Nice job!  Love the live edges, really adds to the uniqueness.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Hell @nolaegghead I should ask you about a local dilemma here...

i want a fridge that's a half inch taller than the cabinet facing, but fits the cabinet height underneath.

in other words, there is a decorative piece on the face of the cabinet I want to grind flush with the cabinet, itself..

theres also a brace of the same height halfway down that's got to go. 

I know know it's hard for me to make it clear, I might send you a pic, but ..

whats the the tool and bit I need to grind these two parts flush with the surface of the cabinet so I can fit this fridge?

gah. I'm sending this but I know this is just confusing and I don't mean to sidetrack your thread...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel post a picture
    Hard to get in there...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE