Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advise

Options
Hello everyone,
We have a camping trailer. Just looking for advice on what to buy for a bbq. Would love a mini max. It not in budget at the moment. How do yous feel about a weber charcoal bbq, since I don't want a propane bbq.
thanks

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    You can cook great food on about any rig and Weber makes excellent products.  I'm not familiar with other brands of charcoal grillers but if it were my call, I would go for it.  Get what meets your cooking size/style and budget-I'm sure Weber has something that fills the bill.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Weber Smokey Mountain is a good cooker. They come in several sizes and prices. Check out the info at amazingribs on "bullet" smokers.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Weber's Smokey Joe is a nice little grill. And it's 30 bucks. You'll be surprised at what you can cook on it. Main drawback is cold weather cooking. But you probably won't be camping then.

Just be sure to dump the coals if you put it away inside the camper.
    https://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/CO/grill.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The best bang for your buck is the Weber Smokey Joe, $30, or the 22" basic Weber kettle for $68.  Quoted prices are from Walmart.  Weber makes a quality product and are easy to cook on and maintain with the enamel finish.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    The best bang for your buck is the Weber Smokey Joe, $30, or the 22" basic Weber kettle for $68.  Quoted prices are from Walmart.  Weber makes a quality product and are easy to cook on and maintain with the enamel finish.

+1.

I've cooked a lot of great meals on each of those grills as my parents had a kettle and I bought a Smokey Joe for my in-laws so I could cook on charcoal there.  Learning to cook on the egg made me a much better cook on each of them such that I didn't really appreciate all that they can do until I had done it on an egg.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I own both Webers and BGEs. I bought the MM for camping and tailgating, but since, have found it to be extremely useful every day and night at home. Sure you can get a smokey joe, and use it for camping, and for about 30 bucks, makes sense to most. If you camp a lot, you may think a smokey joe is the way to go. But a MM, at home and on the road is the way to go, a few evening or long afternoon cooks while camping, will convince even the most value oriented, the MM IS THE ONLY WAY TO ROLL!
    That is all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Pooler
    Pooler Posts: 34
    Options
    Sorry YukonRon, roughing it with the jumbo smokey Joe, couldn't justify the $800 on MM.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pooler said:

Love the set up. I got mine for $550.00. I get the camper thing, too. I tent camp, so I spent my dollars on the MM.
    It is funny though, I bought an old truck to haul the gear.
    Man, I do love to camp!
    where is the coolest place you have been so far?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I have a Weber Smokey Joe and use it 95% of the time over my mini and small when tailgating weekly. It's light, easy to clean, and if someone jacks it out of my truck I'm only out $25. Plus it puts out good grub. I'm going to eventually switch it out for the Weber Jumbo Joe. It's short and stuby like the Weber Smokey Joe but it comes with an 18.5" grid for bigger size cooks. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Pooler
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Pooler said:

Love the set up. I got mine for $550.00. I get the camper thing, too. I tent camp, so I spent my dollars on the MM.
    It is funny though, I bought an old truck to haul the gear.
    Man, I do love to camp!
    where is the coolest place you have been so far?
    We just got camper but have been enjoying provincial parks so far.