Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monkeying Around

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
Made some monkey bread tonight!  Man, why did I wait so long for my first attempt at this?  :loser: 

Nom nom! :flushed: 
By the time I decided to make this, there wasn't enough time to make and proof dough.  I substituted can biscuits and it worked out really well.  I baked this a smidge longer than needed and I really love the texture because of it.  Slightly crusty off the wall and soft and gooey on the inside.  Just in case you ask, here is the recipe.Slightly adapted from Mel's Kitchen who slightly adapted their recipe from Cook's Illustrated.  

Preheat oven to 350

Two 16oz cans of Grand's Biscuits (no flakey layers). 

Cut raw biscuit in half, then cut into 3 pieces. Rinse and repeat till all is cut.  

Melt 12 oz of butter 

Combine 2 cups of brown sugar and 4 teaspoons of cinnamon.  *Mel has sugar in their dough and drizzles icing over it, since I didn't do neither, I doubled their mixture.

Butter a bundt pan and place chopped pecans on the bottom.

Dip dough pieces in butter, shake off and roll into BS/CIN mixture and place in the bundt pan.

Place a layer of dough till you can no longer see the pecans.  

Sprinkle a lil pecans over the dough, then add another layer of dough. Rinse and repeat until you're out of dough.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Pull out and let rest for 10 minutes.

Put on gloves and place a plate on top of bundt pan, then flip.  It should pop right out with lil effort.

Do not cut!  Put on a few layers of Latex gloves and grab pieces with your hands.  

Pair the warm monkey bread with your favorite listeria-free vanilla ice cream.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments