Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your egg want to play too?

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks. Missed that. Every little bit of savings helps. My ONLY real concern is heat control to the griddle surface vs a LP/NAT gas or electric thermostat controlled griddle. But, I figure for the money it's probably about the same as using CI as a griddle in the egg. 
    Yeah, that would be my concern too...might need an infrared gun down the road. That will help you narrow down how to build your fire.  In your industry, you probably already have one.

I think you'll lock in temp control after a few cooks!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good idea. These should work swimmingly. 
    Just an fyi a IR gun is fine but, can give false readings on reflective surfaces. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bump. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I will say I've done skillet burgers on the mini with CI.
    That fat does build up and has no where to go...its messy and splattering all over the place.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What Blake said - IR guns can be very misleading on cookware because of the reflectivity of the material.  There's a coefficient of reflectivity (or something, forgot what it's called - thank you booze) that you can set on some IR thermometers, depending on the surface you're measuring.

I have a few of them, my favorite is a Dewalt.  Also doubles as a cat toy (laser).

Options
    I just use my CI skillets and dome temp gauge. But, with the days getting noticeably shorter, I am asking the "Cool Kids Accessory Council" for guidance on  grill surface illumination for night cooks. Short of wiring up an outdoor spot light, what do the masters of Eggery use?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have a headlamp. This one in amazon. Its INSANELY bright. 

www.amazon.com/Waterproof-XM-L-T6-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0098IJC7C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437829386&sr=8-5&keywords=Led+headlamp

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)