Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briquettes?

I was just on biggreenegg.com and this video is embedded on the home page.  https://vimeo.com/132719952   He is using briquettes in an xxl.  I thought that was a big NO NO with the egg. 
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Briquettes use a lot of filler, and create a lot of ash.  I would never use them in an egg IMHO
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Kingsford briquettes leave a lot more ash than lump. That is the main reason most people don't use that in their kamados. However, some folks do. The ash may or may not cause a problem with airflow. If you're the type of person that cleans out their egg after every cook then briquettes shouldn't pose any problems.

There was a thread here just yesterday talking about this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183855/kingsford-comp-briquets/p1
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Most people won't use briquettes given the choice, but they'll work in a pinch if you run out of lump and you have to borrow some fuel from the neighbor.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    My dealer gave the impression that the binder in the briquettes will taint the ceramic and leave a smell forever. Scare tactic?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Toxarch said:
    My dealer gave the impression that the binder in the briquettes will taint the ceramic and leave a smell forever. Scare tactic?
    I'd say that's BS.  I've used briquettes several times, and although not ideal, they work just fine.  You're just going to get more smoke and more ash.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited July 2015
    The Kingsford Competition briquettes have a lot less added ingredients. The ash level is considerably lower.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Toxarch said:
    This would certainly be true if you used the briquettes that have the lighter fluid already in them.  Otherwise it shouldn't have any effect.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Natural lump is the way to go. Briquettes can be used, but the frequency of maintenance goes up considerably due to ash generated from the fires.
    Most, not all, people experience a one time burn with briquettes, and the expense of not using leftover charcoal, as you can with lump, gets to be a bit much. I have some very reputable people tell me they have used much more charcoal than lump for long cooks on a BGE, I don't know, I have no experience with briquettes in my BGE.
    As for leaving a trace, if you have a webber and have done any grilling at all, you typically will get some sort of food residue build up. If it does not effect the cooks in a weber, it will not effect the cook in a BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Isn't that a four letter word?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Just as a comment, I used partially used briquettes in my webers regularly.  I treated it like lump.  Snuff out coals after a cook.  Pour new on top of old and go again.

I find briquettes will not get as hot as lump.  In my WSM I struggled to get over 350 with briquettes (kingsford blue bag), but could get 400 to 450 with lump.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    YukonRon said:
    As for leaving a trace, if you have a webber and have done any grilling at all, you typically will get some sort of food residue build up. If it does not effect the cooks in a weber, it will not effect the cook in a BGE.
    A weber is metal. BGE is porous ceramic.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I used some Kingsford Competition briquettes this weekend. Didn't have any taste affects in fact more nuetral than RO. Left more ash. Filled up firebox and did a 6 hour spare rib cook. Snuffed out fire and had a quarter of firebox left of usable briquettes. I would use again, for quick burger or steak cooks. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I use trader joe briquettes.  Work fine.  Minimal fillers.   Great for cooking chicken when I know I don't care about a low and slow
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Briquettes make more ash, no question of that, but the ash is very fine - will not clog even an OEM grate and they very neutral. It is also easy to rake out. I use Kingsford comps in the kettle, son swears by Stubbs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!