Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best way to cook a turkey

Rylee62
Rylee62 Posts: 8
Hello fellow eggheads! This is my first post, for I am a new egghead. - I purchased a large Green Egg about 3 weeks ago and love it. - Love it sold much my Weber Summit went to market. - My question is Turkey? - Is it best to cook 300 degrees standing up beer can style. - or lay it down traditional style. Im going to give it a light Apple and Pecan smoke. Its a 18# bird - Im thinking about 20-30 minutes a pound. Cook to 165 degrees. Indirect heat, drip pan with a little water??? Any ideas would be welcome. thanks friends. Rylee

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Rylee, welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!

Not sure there is a "best" way to do a turkey. Here's a link to one method that I used with great results...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157846/yesterdays-turkey#latest

Your other options should also work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  If you want to change up a turkey cook go with spatchcock style.  Here's a link for a chic-just super-size it. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  And an 18 lb bird is about the max size for spatchcock on a LBGE.  Ice the breasts for about 20 mins and then go for it.  Set-up that works:
    Set on the egg, raised, indirect @ 375-400.  Legs to the back. 
    Approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes to low 160's in the breasts and 180's in thighs.  Great eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Welcome 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hi! I think you are going to enjoy yourself. There' usually a medium learning curve for the Egg, and a tendency to go overboard accessorizing.

One of the finest ways to Egg a turkey is Mad Max's method. Its somewhat elaborate, and aimed at making a Thanksgiving centerpiece . Still, very good info.

Typically, I'm much simpler. Dry brine the turkey for a few days in the fridge. Make some herb butter, and shove it under the skin. Cook raised over a drip pan, dome 350-ish. Pecan for smoke. Maybe a basting or two. Yeah, breast meat 160 - 165.

• Rylee62
    Thanks for the tip! Im learning fast! I have grilled, baked, smoked, Love my egg!
  • Rylee62
    I wanted to update - has anyone experienced fast cooking on the egg. I just cooked a 16# unstuffed turkey in 3 hrs flat. I figured 5hrs. Its now resting inside the egg until company arrives. another 2 hrs! ugh. Internal temp on bid is 170 degree's. Should stay warm! Cook was at 300 degrees. Steamed with beer and water - added a little apple and pecan smoke flavor. Should be good. Happy 4th of July
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    Welcome to the forum! Your cooking time is right on. wrap it in foil, and a beach towel, and put it in a cooker. It should stay over 140 degrees for many hours. Happy 4th and good eating!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Was 300* your dome temp or at grid level? How far apart where the two temps?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I like the mad Max technique, but rather than ice the breasts, I've cooked the last two turrkeys breast side down for the first 2/3rds of the cook, breast up to brown the skin for the last 1/3rd. 12# birds BTW, so easy to flip. 
    Yes the egg will cook a turkey much faster than you might think. 
    Have never had a beer can or inverted one come out right, spatchcocok is OK, but SWMBO says it looks like a Franken Chicken. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Queue @Mickey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Looks great Rylee !  Here is a pic of a 22.5 pounder I did a few weeks ago on my large.  Was a tight squeeze.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I love turkey cooked on my bge. For me there is no best way. I like all teh methods. Traditional, smoked and spatchcocked, it's all good.
    Here is a picture traditional style style
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    TigerTony said:
     For me there is no best way. I like all teh methods. Traditional, smoked and spatchcocked, it's all good.
    I have to agree brother. I love turkey just about any way that it can be prepare. I would add deep fried and pan fried slices to your above list. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Rylee62
    Thanks all - the bird was a great! everyone loved it. 
  • Turkey.  Ah, yes. 
    The hubby bought 3 frozen turkeys when a store went out of business and sold to the walls.  (Not to mention the 3 frozen full racks of baby back ribs.) It may be fall officially, but it's still too hot to warm up the kitchen for a 20 lb bird, so I thought I'd fire up the egg.
    Didn't have time to brine (which I will next time), but used a curry/black pepper/salt rub.  350-400* with basting every 30 minutes and just short of 3 hours it was done.  Fabulous.  I just used water and herbed butter to baste, and the gravy came out as well or better than any I've ever done.
    We usually smoke a fresh turkey on Thanksgiving, but this year I'm egging it with just a little smoke.
    Thanks to everybody who posted here (and posted links) about turkey.  I managed to read enough to know what I needed to do.  I've never been the barbequer in the house but HWMBLT (I'm SWMBO, he's He Who Might Be Listened To) hasn't been near the egg yet.  I'm having a blast!
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Sorry I'm a little late to the dance on this one....but welcome! I have found Turkey on the BGE to be fantastic....it's the only way I make our Thanksgiving bird now. But I had to work through two challenges that it looks like you came across too. 1) It does cook faster than in the oven - even when using the same temp - which I've always found strange. 2) Color: If you don't give it a good tinfoil wrap it will turn very black. 

Once you adjust to those quirks - you can't beat it! 

How did yours survive the two hour rest and turn out?
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• No wrong way to BGE a turkey, when my kitchen was being remodeled I made Turkey for the first time on my egg.  I did several practice runs prior to Thanksgiving since Turkey was 58cents a lb.  So it is all good.  I have brined it using Alton Brown's brine, and I have not brined and dressed it up in a bacon sweater.  They both had big compliments.  But I cooked it at 325 and will not use my oven for Turkey ever again

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,228
    for tday i follow the madmax recipe for a traditional roasted turkey, but ive also been known to low and slow a bird, different product but still has its merits
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    +1 mad max, maybe because I love the gravy!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN