Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers, Fajitas, Lamb and BBQ - Busy Weekend

Options
The last several weeks have been consumed by a move. (I hate moving) This weekend I was finally able to get back int he swing. However, still plenty of small projects to tackle... 

Friday night, we grilled burgers. Kobe beef patties, thick cut bacon, cheddar & gruyere cheese and a fried egg on a grilled pretzel bun and served with hand cut twice fried fries. 

Saturday night, we grilled chicken fajitas. We like to saute red/orange/yellow sweet peppers, jalapenos, onions and garlic. Then grill up some avocados and limes and top them with queso fresco and fresh cilantro. 

Sunday. I broke down a rack of lamb into double chop portions, threw them into the sous vide, then seared them on the Egg. Served with a portobello arborio and a portobello pan sauce. 

Then finally, ran a Turbo 8lb pork shoulder for some mid week meals. I filled the Mini Max with a mix of apple and hickory chunks and smoked at 325F dome temp for approx 6 hours. The Mini Max still have plenty of coal leftover. 

Because smoking is hard work...

Comments

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Looks pretty awesome to me. How do you have time for anything other than cooking? Not a bad thing to me, but just curious. Great pics man.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Beautiful work all the way around Craig :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Really really impressive work buddy...looks like a huge weekend!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Putting in the work!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Good looking eats Craig!

You should have gotten that move out of the way while you were up here in Toronto!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Very impressive Craig.  Each cook looks delish.
    Phoenix 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Very nice man, everything looks really good! How do you like the Kobe burgers? I remember your last burger post and they looked incredible too. I've heard they can be kinda mushy, thoughts?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Good looking eats Craig!

You should have gotten that move out of the way while you were up here in Toronto!
    Funny you mention that. That was the weekend of the move! got back here Sunday night and we closed on the new home Monday morning. I missed most of the packing. I owe the Mrs BIG time! 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Looks pretty awesome to me. How do you have time for anything other than cooking? Not a bad thing to me, but just curious. Great pics man.
    Thanks! Well, cooking is my hobby. Some guys head to the golf course to relieve stress. I head to the Eggs! 
  • MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

All looks amazing.  There is a fly on your drink...  ;)

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    MrWigan said:

Nice catch @MrWigan. Maybe one of the best in forum history! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    MrWigan said:

Nice catch @MrWigan. Maybe one of the best in forum history! 
    The strong alcohol burned anything off! HA! Just now saw that...
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Pretty work!
    GWN
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Those pictures are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen -- wonderful job!!!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Question re the Kobe burgers - I've never had one, but to me, I would think you would want to go minimalist with the toppings with really good meat like that, like you would keep it simple with a really high end steak.  With all that cheese, bacon, egg and pretzel bun (which does sound great), is there any value in popping for the Kobe, or is that lost in everything else?
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Thanks! Well, cooking is my hobby. Some guys head to the golf course to relieve stress. I head to the Eggs! 
    A much better hobby.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• byrne092
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    jonnymack said:
    A much better hobby.
    Yeah I like playing golf, but it doesn't always relieve stress, sometimes it has the opposite effect... :s

St. Louis, MO
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    jonnymack said:
    jonnymack said:
    A much better hobby.
    Yeah I like playing golf, but it doesn't always relieve stress, sometimes it has the opposite effect... :s
    I'm that dude throwing his clubs in the pond on the 7th hole... 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    Question re the Kobe burgers - I've never had one, but to me, I would think you would want to go minimalist with the toppings with really good meat like that, like you would keep it simple with a really high end steak.  With all that cheese, bacon, egg and pretzel bun (which does sound great), is there any value in popping for the Kobe, or is that lost in everything else?
    I think putting any topping on a burger will change it's overall flavor, but I'm not a huge fan of eating a plain burger patty.

I went with the Kobe for two reasons: A. to get a good quality product you havee to start with a good quality product. B. It was on sale and only $1 more per pound than the regular ground chuck.   =)  

• byrne092
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    jonnymack said:
    jonnymack said:
    A much better hobby.
    I'm that dude throwing his clubs in the pond on the 7th hole... 
    Lol yep. Then I just wait for the few good shots (golf shots) and beers to pick my spirits back up.

St. Louis, MO
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    $1 per pound more than ground chuck?  That's a great deal.  I think I would've filled the freezer and become the bubba gump of kobe, wearing everyone out with posting kobe meatloaf, kobe meatballs, kobe taco meat, kobe chili, etc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking cooks BGC!  My hats off to you for having the stamina to cook all that after moving.  

What brand of Kobe ground beef did you use?  My Publix carries the Steakhouse Elite brand and it is not too expensive.  I'm pretty sure it is wagyu blended with Angus but they are pretty good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Great looking cooks BGC!  My hats off to you for having the stamina to cook all that after moving.  

What brand of Kobe ground beef did you use?  My Publix carries the Steakhouse Elite brand and it is not too expensive.  I'm pretty sure it is wagyu blended with Angus but they are pretty good.  
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I had. For the price difference, I'll go this route every time. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Spot On!! Awesome as always. Keep em coming!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    goodness, crazy impressive man. hat's off 

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great looking cooks, and congrats on the move.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Could I please order up a burger.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother, it all looks phenomenal. I would make a a$$ out of myself eating those burgers. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I don't even know what to say. I almost hate to click on your threads, craig. Makes me embarrassed to even post anything. Awesome freakin pics, man. 

Little Rock, AR