Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy Night

Options
It's a rainy evening here in Southern Ontario but, that doesn't mean no egging.

I've got some ABT's ready to go on the egg; stuffed with hot Italian sausage and Monterey Jack cheese followed by some 60-day dry aged NY Strips that I plan to do Cowboy/Comando/Kamikaze/Caveman style.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale brother of the North.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I just realized I'm hardly cooking anything tonight. Pizzas for the kids and brats for the adults... It may be more about alcohol consumption for me this evening. I'll be living vicariously through your cook though.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow!  Those steaks are gonna rock!  ABTs too of course. Anxiously awaiting that!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I just realized I'm hardly cooking anything tonight. Pizzas for the kids and brats for the adults... It may be more about alcohol consumption for me this evening. I'll be living vicariously through your cook though.
    You can live vicariously through my adult beverage consumption too if that  helps! Not much to get out and do today witb this rain so, I've been at it most of the afternoon!   =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well, the ABT's turned out great. Did them raised direct with dome temp around 350* for about 30 minutes; turning a couple of times. The steaks had great flavor and were very tender but, probably a little too thick for cowboy style cooking. One was 2 1/4" and the other was 2". Made it difficult to get the center up to 130 (where Mrs. TOTN likes her's). Did them about 8 minutes per side and, as you can see, they developed a solid crust and were still pretty rare in the middle; which I actually prefer. Would definitely have helped to set them out on the counter about an hour sooner as well.

Options
    "Cowboy style cooking".... is that cooking directly on the coals? Is that what that picture is?? Never heard of that before. Tell me more about it? :) 
    -lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That looks great to me. Love the extra thick cuts myself. Nice post. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    leeman13 said:
    "Cowboy style cooking".... is that cooking directly on the coals? Is that what that picture is?? Never heard of that before. Tell me more about it? :) 
    Yes, cooking directly on the coals. It's more a novelty to me; something different to do. As I noted above, my steaks were probably a bit too thick and I did not let them get completely up to room temp before I cooked them. The method does produce a great "crust" if that's what you like.

If you try it, make sure you have a good glove and/or a long set of tongs; it's pretty hot down there on the coals!
    Options
    That looks great to me. Love the extra thick cuts myself. Nice post. 
    Thanks! I dry age and cut them myself.
    That looks so delicious!  Just like the 80's country song by Eddie Rabbit says, I Love A Rainy Night!
    Flint, Michigan
  • ChucktownEggHead
    Options
    Looks awesome! I need to incorporate an umbrella like that into my table. I did just add a beer opener. 
    LBGE- Charleston, SC 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks awesome! I need to incorporate an umbrella like that into my table. I did just add a beer opener. 
    Here's a better look at the umbrella. Mrs. TOTN made it for me,

Options
    Awesome cook!  Nice looking umbrella!  Raining here too, just finished egging.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth glad to see you posting again.

you and several others were very encouraging to me when I got into this.
    Now the smart a$$ son in law (SASIL) @GuitarEC has an egg and has gone from noob to quite the pulled pork king in a few months.

Glad to have Ya back!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Thanks @swordsmn, I appreciate your kind words! Glad to hear that you're playing it forward (assuming your SASIL got his egg because of you). 
    Options
    You go girl.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub brother of the north.  Cool looking umbrella as well. I'm still waiting on some more lobsters though ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.