Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Flat cap to snuff out the coals

Options

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:
    I have the smokeware cap and just saw a new product they released. The Flat cap to snuff the coals. Anybody tried it? Does it save coal?

http://smokeware.com/products/flat-cap
    "Note: Our vented chimney cap is designed to extinguish the coals when fully closed but purists may prefer using our Flat Cap."

Well that pisses me off!!!  Calling me a "purist" because I recognize the fact my standard SS cap does not seal perfectly and consequently, while yes it does shut down the BGE, it doesn't shut it down as quickly.  I'm no effing purist, I'm just an engineer that notices how things work, and witnessed smoke escaping from my "closed" smokeware cap and realize that is why my Egg wasn't cooling off as quickly as it used to.  I don't take lightly to insulting name calling, especially from businesses who should no better than to insult their customers.  I like using my SS, but I am now officially in the unhappy customer category.  Unhappy customers are not repeat customers.  It will be interesting to see if Smokeware can make me a Happy customer.
    So buy the Flat Cap.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think they should build in an accessory so you can set a small bbq sauce pot on top and use it as a burner.  I expect a care package when they make this!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:
    I have the smokeware cap and just saw a new product they released. The Flat cap to snuff the coals. Anybody tried it? Does it save coal?

"Note: Our vented chimney cap is designed to extinguish the coals when fully closed but purists may prefer using our Flat Cap."

Well that pisses me off!!!  Calling me a "purist" because I recognize the fact my standard SS cap does not seal perfectly and consequently, while yes it does shut down the BGE, it doesn't shut it down as quickly.  I'm no effing purist, I'm just an engineer that notices how things work, and witnessed smoke escaping from my "closed" smokeware cap and realize that is why my Egg wasn't cooling off as quickly as it used to.  I don't take lightly to insulting name calling, especially from businesses who should no better than to insult their customers.  I like using my SS, but I am now officially in the unhappy customer category.  Unhappy customers are not repeat customers.  It will be interesting to see if Smokeware can make me a Happy customer.
    So buy the Flat Cap.   
    From a company that insults me by resorting to derogatory name-calling?

No way, I'll make my own before I line their pockets with future purchases.

Heck, if they bothered to think about it, by definition, a "purist", wouldn't have bought the SS cap in the first place.

Now, if they want to make me a happy customer, they could start by apologizing for calling me a "purist", which I AM NOT.  In fact, I love to modify and make things "my own".  I modify my cars, I modify my motorcycles, I modify my BGE.  And they could show sincerity in their apology by rewording the offending statement to something like, "And for those wanting the ultimate in fast shutdown, we now offer our NEW Flat Cap" instead of "purists may prefer using our Flat Cap.".  And if they really want to step up to the "good customer service plate", offer me free shipping if I was to buy one.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:

Pretty elaborate extortion attempt here. Either that or you are VERY sensitive, I think it's the former. 
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:

Pretty elaborate extortion attempt here. Either that or you are VERY sensitive, I think it's the former. 
    never expecting anything, I've received for free >$250 value backpacking equipment from a company that understands customer service.  An apology and re-wording their website will be satisfaction enough, but if they truly understand customer service, free shipping isn't much to ask.  I've been given a free meal when I ordered a steak rare and was delivered a well-done.  I told the manager I didn't want another steak, as I would eat this one to dine with my family instead of waiting for a properly cooked steak.  That is when he offered my meal would not be on the bill, so I tipped 20% of the cost if my dinner had been billed because the manager knew how to do what was right.

I don't know what yahoo schmuck in marketing or in charge of their website thought it acceptable to call Smokeware customers "purists", that might not be happy with the shutdown performance of their standard Smokeware cap.  the fact they created a solution is an acknowledgement IMO they recognize a degraded performance in their cap over the BGE ceramic cap, but to have the gall to insult customers not happy with the shutdown performance is very unacceptable IMO.

• Zmokin
    Options
    I'm going to step up my game to the next level.  I don't need the free shipping to buy the NEW Flat Cap.  Based on my review of the specs, I have faith this new cap is a great design.  I Know that even with my ceramic cap, it can still leak a little air, just not as much as my SS cap does if I don't push it down and rotate it to grind down a little carbon build-up on the BGE top.  I have confidence with the gasket and the weight, this NEW cap is properly designed to accomplish the task of sealing the top for as fast as a shutdown as is possible w/o exhorting to measures like plumbing CO2 to purge all oxygen out of the BGE chamber.  But, with no changes to the wording on their website and no apology for calling me a "purist", I will never ever purchase another product from them, even though I think their cast iron plate-setter looks like a great device for searing a steak or some shrimp or a boneless skinless chicken thigh.

Yes, I take great offense at being called a "purist" and I would like to see this matter corrected.

• 4Runner
    Options
    You seem to take offense to the word purist.  Not sure why but it isn't like they called you out specifically since it is on their website....also, it's not like they called you an a$$hole or something.   Maybe it is best to just move on.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:

Go drink a beer and cool off!!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I was quite confident he was kidding. Oops! I personally don't have any problem with my cap, like someone else said, it fit even better with time. Oh well, you can't win them all. I just don't see the great offense here. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree my cap does not or takes forever to shut down my egg....its a cute little add on....kind of like spinners on your car. Until it gets gunked up and dirty after 2-3 cooks.
    Seattle, WA
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    4Runner said:
    Zmokin said:
    Bjorg said:

So buy the Flat Cap.   
    From a company that insults me by resorting to derogatory name-calling?

No way, I'll make my own before I line their pockets with future purchases.

Heck, if they bothered to think about it, by definition, a "purist", wouldn't have bought the SS cap in the first place.

Now, if they want to make me a happy customer, they could start by apologizing for calling me a "purist", which I AM NOT.  In fact, I love to modify and make things "my own".  I modify my cars, I modify my motorcycles, I modify my BGE.  And they could show sincerity in their apology by rewording the offending statement to something like, "And for those wanting the ultimate in fast shutdown, we now offer our NEW Flat Cap" instead of "purists may prefer using our Flat Cap.".  And if they really want to step up to the "good customer service plate", offer me free shipping if I was to buy one.

Sounds like you just want something for FREE so you resort to acting/sounding like a whining ****.  
  • SloppyJoe
    Options

Zmokin said:
    I'm going to step up my game to the next level.  I don't need the free shipping to buy the NEW Flat Cap.  Based on my review of the specs, I have faith this new cap is a great design.  I Know that even with my ceramic cap, it can still leak a little air, just not as much as my SS cap does if I don't push it down and rotate it to grind down a little carbon build-up on the BGE top.  I have confidence with the gasket and the weight, this NEW cap is properly designed to accomplish the task of sealing the top for as fast as a shutdown as is possible w/o exhorting to measures like plumbing CO2 to purge all oxygen out of the BGE chamber.  But, with no changes to the wording on their website and no apology for calling me a "purist", I will never ever purchase another product from them, even though I think their cast iron plate-setter looks like a great device for searing a steak or some shrimp or a boneless skinless chicken thigh.

Yes, I take great offense at being called a "purist" and I would like to see this matter corrected.
    Nice....   Even though you're pissed and now don't expect free shipping or any kind of discount you mention the cast iron plate setter.  People see through your BS.   You've really stepped up your game....  =)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    I've been called a lot worse than a purist. Somebody needs their meds adjusted. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Zmokin seriously?  Put on your big boy pants. Jesus H Christ. Really?  Really?  I got nothing else, but really?  SMH
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Zmokin seriously?  Put on your big boy pants. Jesus H Christ. Really?  Really?  I got nothing else, but really?  SMH
    Agreed. You're wrapped way to tight man. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    The cast iron is not their product...they are just retailing it.
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Purist is typically a complement.  To me, it means you studied your craft over time and have found a system that works.  I don't get the resentment in being called a purest.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    F U you purist!   No that would be offensive.  Lol
  • Zmokin
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Purist is typically a complement.  To me, it means you studied your craft over time and have found a system that works.  I don't get the resentment in being called a purest.
    Well, maybe to some, but I don't find the following definition to be complimentary.

pur·ist
    ˈpyo͝orəst/
    noun
    noun: purist; plural noun: purists; noun: Purist; plural noun: Purists
    a person who insists on absolute adherence to traditional rules or structures, especially in language or style.
    synonyms:pedant, perfectionist, formalist, literalist, stickler, traditionalist, doctrinaire, quibbler, dogmatist;
    informalnitpicker
    "the quilting purist doesn't want to hear the words "sewing machine""

or

Purist

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For other uses, see Purist (disambiguation).

A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. The term may be used in almost any field, and can be applied either to the self or to others. Use of the term may be either pejorative or complimentary, depending on the context. Because the appellation depends on subjective notions of what is "pure" as opposed to "adulterating" as applied to any particular item, conflict can arise both as to whether a person so labeled is actually a purist and as to whether that is desirable.

So maybe you find the term desirable, I definitely do not.  As I said before, I like to modify things, just as I have done with my BGE by buying the SS cap in the first place.  A Purist would insist upon using the Daisy wheel, and never adding a BBQ Guru or a Tip Top Temp for temperature control, both of which I have purchased and used.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    BIG.BOY. PANTS. 
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Love the part about "especially in language" ...but still, this is posted on their website and doesn't make a reference to anyone specifically.  Clearly the intent was, the SS cap puts out the fire but if you want to be closer to stock, adherence to the star day or baseline or rule, then the Flat Cap is for up you.   To take personal offense to a generic statement such as this......just don't get it.  
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I've been called a lot worse than a purist.
    So have I, but that has nothing to do with this particular situation.

• Zmokin
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Love the part about "especially in language" ...but still, this is posted on their website and doesn't make a reference to anyone specifically.  Clearly the intent was, the SS cap puts out the fire but if you want to be closer to stock, adherence to the star day or baseline or rule, then the Flat Cap is for up you.   To take personal offense to a generic statement such as this......just don't get it.  
    Not any one named individual, just anyone not pleased with the performance of the SS cap ASIS that wants something better.  We "purists" may like the Flat Cap.  I would like the Flat Cap, but not be labelled as "purist" for wanting one.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Zmokin - oh good grief , man! Make one , buy one, steal one... Just do something to get your panties unbundled. Geesh.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm an engineer as well... not that it should have any bearing on this conversation. I started to make a flat cap, but this $15 device is worth me to me than the time it would take for me to replicate one that probably wouldn't be as pretty. SmokeWare's Flat Cap is on my shopping list.

I think the trouble may stem from our friend's belief that term "purist" is derogatory. I just don't think the right word to use in this context... but you don't see me whining about it. We bought the Cap with our eyes open. No need to fuss when an improvement comes along. Buy, don't buy... life will go on either way. Happy Egging!

EDIT: My apologies, I didn't see the date on this post. Maybe that old saying about "sleeping dogs" applies here...
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Why would one replace the OEM ceramic top?  Do you feel a new one would be that much more effective?  How would you test the effectiveness difference?

Or just like a car and like the mods?
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    It's not a matter of replacing the ceramic top... it starts by replacing the daisy wheel. There's enough material about the SmokeWare Cap in this forum and elsewhere that I don't think we have to rehash that. Some people feel--probably for good reason--that the Cap, when closed, doesn't provide the near-airtight seal that the ceramic BGE top does. But it's worth it, for me at least, to trade that more secure seal for a single cap that performs well and is more use-friendly.

If you want the usability of a SW Cap and the OEM seal, now there's the Flat Cap.

There are really plenty options out there to make most folks happy. But, as a professor I once had used to say, "there's always a bell curve." Some will be dissatisfied with too few options; others will get bent out of shape if there are too many. Almost everyone could benefit from chilling the f*** out and drinking a beer.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    hapster said:
    My cap snuffs the fire out just fine...

The cap in the pic looks like the holes on the interior portion of the chimney are now a different shape. Any reason for the change?
    Good catch - that is for finer tuning in lower temperatures.
    now i'm in again. I didn't like the way it held (didn't hold) low temps for me before. This makes sense. I'll try them on both larges and see how they do. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Yeah, I have the old rectangular slots... I have some issues holding lower temps that I've been attributing to my CyberQ acclimating to the new cap. Maybe I'll buy again at some point... or maybe I won't.