Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp is everyone cooking their butts at?

Options
I've always gone about 250-260 dome temp but growing tired of 14+ hour cooks for 6-7lb shoulders.  Any help?  Cooking on a Large BGE. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I typically run 270ish, but cook overnight. Many turbo. See @ksmyrl or @rrp they both turbo a lot. 325-350, I think. Just be careful of sugar in the rub. 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    300* has done well for me, especially overnight. Most of my butts have been for lunches, so overnight is a must. My large locks in at that temp perfectly! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    I go with 225, never done any faster because I haven't needed to.   I have always enjoyed the time spent and setup.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @theyolksonyou is correct. I only turbo because I haven't been able to tell a difference. I run around 325 ish and typically it takes about an hour a pound maybe a little less. Ive done em at 375ish too and finished a 7 lber in 4 hours once. It was still really good but the bottom was beginning to dry out. The rub I use has tubinaro sugar in it and doesn't burn as quickly as brown sugar in my experience. I think @tarheelmatt finishes many butts at around 180 IT and chops the butt instead of pulling it. That's another option. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I honestly can't tell the difference between the texture and taste of a lo & slo butt vs a turbo. Purists might say I'm all wet, but I bet they can't either in their heart of hearts! BUT if lo & slo pleases you then what difference does it make what us turbo folks have found and like? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    225 I have had issues with the bark not seeming to set.  I like 275 for butts.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I was in 250-75 range for 7 hrs, bumped it to 300 for final hour+ and was happy.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    250-350 depending on the size of the butt and how the timing fits my schedule.  I can't tell a difference in the final result.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I normally cook at 280-290º. Put the butt on the egg right after breakfast and it is ready for dinner. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1@Mickey!  Only thing I do different is Alton Browns brine and rub. Uniformly enjoyed by all, no sauce required. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've done some 300-350 Turbo style and have enjoyed the most recent one the most since I injected with a little apple juice and rub before putting it on the egg and once again in the stall.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with @mickey that one key for turbo is keeping the butt in the 5-6.5 lb range.  I've done larger, but I can notice that the outer layer of meat is dryer than the rest.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JQ_bbq
    JQ_bbq Posts: 5
    Options
    270 grid. double wrap in foil after 5 hours. Pull from egg at 195-200 internal and rest minimum of 2-3 hours in a small cooler.
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    260-280
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Rub, then 350 until the internal reaches 195-200.  Can't tell the difference in taste/texture between this and low & slow.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I do 350 indirect until 203. Why 203? Because I read that somewhere and have done every butt to that temp and each one has been perfect. Why mess with a great thing? Sometimes the enemy of great is better.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    275° grid temp until it probes like buttah. I don't wrap anything I cook low & slow.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    Options
    I cook at 240 to an internal temp of 200. No wrapping
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    250 until it hits the stall, foil and finish bumping up temp if needed if family is hungry and won't wait.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    TDogg46 said:
    Cooking on a Large BGE. 
    Volumes could be written and debated on this subject but I will keep it short and sweet. I do it one of two ways. If I'm not in a rush I like 275 degrees. It's sort of the middle ground if you will. The fat renders well and the cook does not proceed at a snails pace. If I'm in a hurry I like 375 degrees. The end product is good and cook time is minimal. Just for clarity, depending on ones goal, butt can be cooked anywhere from 215-425 degrees with good results if the chef does his or her part. There is no one best temp for every situation. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I do mine at 250-260 but I don't care to much about the bark an use Myron Mixons method of three hours in a pan with juice then put it into a clean pan with one cup of apple juice and cover it until it reaches 195-205. Pleases te wife and tat is what matters to me. It usually takes about 10-12 hours.
  • MIgreenegger
    Options
    Its all about the FTC - Foil Towel Cooler for multiple hours after the pork butt cook. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Last two butts I've done I've cooked at 300 and foiled them once they hit 160-165. They came out really nice and didn't take nearly as long.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Depends on the season. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Lower cooking temps leave for less drinking time and less time I have to stay home with me egg and watch it. Just how my life works. YMMV. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have always cooked butts at 220-225 at the meat level right above the grate.
    Lately I have become dissatisfied with the meat texture. It's too soft and mushy for my taste.
    Last weekend I cooked an 8# butt at 250 and it was a much better texture and bark was also better.
    I may go to 260 on the next one. (The faster cooking time was an added bonus)

The problem at 220-225 may be caused by where I'm reading the temp, but I really liked the result from 250 measured at the same location.