Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic - My grandma is 102 as of yesterday.

Options
Sookie
Sookie Posts: 335

Because I know that you are caring people, and that you cherish your own family, values and things that are important, I share with you a moment from yesterday in my life.  My grandmother turned 102 years old.  In HER words, "I can't walk, I can't see, and I can't hear, but other than that...I'm doing great!".  

Briefly as to not bore you, here is an excerpt from our conversation yesterday:

Me: (shouting slightly) "I love you grandma!"
Her: "What did you say?"
Me (shouting a little louder) "I love you grandma!"
Her: "What??"...
Me: (yes, even louder) "I love you Grandma!"
Her: (Giggle) haha I know I just like to keep hearing it.

Tell those in your life you love them today, and more importantly show them.  It's important.  All my best, LG

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Couldn't imagine living that long. Bet she has some great stories. Tell her I said happy birthday.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Tell her HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    102. That's awesome. Tell her Happy Birthday and I hope she has many more still to come. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Happy Birthday to your Grandma!  I hope her secret to longevity includes eating plenty of barbeque and drinking beer!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Sookie said:

Because I know that you are caring people, and that you cherish your own family, values and things that are important, I share with you a moment from yesterday in my life.  My grandmother turned 102 years old.  In HER words, "I can't walk, I can't see, and I can't hear, but other than that...I'm doing great!".  

Briefly as to not bore you, here is an excerpt from our conversation yesterday:

Me: (shouting slightly) "I love you grandma!"
    Her: "What did you say?"
    Me (shouting a little louder) "I love you grandma!"
    Her: "What??"...
    Me: (yes, even louder) "I love you Grandma!"
    Her: (Giggle) haha I know I just like to keep hearing it.

Tell those in your life you love them today, and more importantly show them.  It's important.  All my best, LG

That's Beautiful, 102 and still has her wits, I love it.  If only we could all be so lucky.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Made my day - thanks for sharing! May she have many more - wish her a belated one north of 49º....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That is awesome - may you share her great genetics, and always remember her great sense of humor.  sounds like a kick!
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    God bless her. She sounds awesome. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I can't even count that high!  Tell her happy birthday.  The "I love you" story was awesome.  Made my morning.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very cool!  Would have made the 'Smucker's Jar' if Willard Scott was still doing the Today Show.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Happy Birthday from Canada!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    Good for her. The things she has seen in her lifetime - WOOOW
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Good advice and thanks for sharing. you are blessed to have her this long. Tell her from all of us a very Happy Birthday.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Our best wishes from South Carolina!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Happy Birthday :joy:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    @Sookie I am enjoying your posts!  Just finished a Fannie Flagg book with the main character "Sookie" in it.  Your posts feel like I'm still reading the book! BTW, the book was "The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion"  
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I guess I missed this one..But a big Birthday wish and may she have many more..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A belated Happy Birthday to your G'ma. So cool that she has a cute sense of humor :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sookie
    Options

Thank you all.  My family has been blessed that yes, this woman whom we love still has her wits about her.  It doesn't mean she is always reasonable, but for about the past 10 years we just shrug our shoulders and say "But it's Grandma". 

AND she has never met a stranger.  My cousin shared the story that she met his girlfriend last year and said "Oh honey, you are going to like me!"  Our family gatherings were often a mish-mash of not only our family, but those who maybe didn't have anywhere to go that day.   She would tell them "oohh!!! I'm Grandma!".    And she is Grandma to everyone.  Even you, even though she doesn't know it. 

Thank you for letting me share this and being the people you are, and all the kind words. 

This was a few years ago but it's the best "recent" pic I have, with her and my nephew. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I hope she had a very happy b'day.  Here is a you tube link I think both of y'all will enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxCpK1W_Gjw?feature=player_embedded
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • icunrse
    icunrse Posts: 87
    Options
    Wow!!! Congrats to your grandma! Good for her. Mine just passed at 93. I was grateful for the 46 years I knew her. 
    Amy 
    Hope Mills, NC
    LBGE, and the only one on the block. My neighbor just got a new gas grill...let the games begin!!

• Sookie
    Options
    icunrse said:
    Wow!!! Congrats to your grandma! Good for her. Mine just passed at 93. I was grateful for the 46 years I knew her. 

Sorry to hear of your loss.  I think though that once our loved ones start to get past a certain age, we know that time is limited.  If yours was anything like mine, she was a kick to be around. 

About a little over a year ago mine had a very mild heart attack.  First issue EVER with her in regards to her heart, but of course she found herself in the hospital for tests.  My dad and I went up to the hospital, and we talked to the doctor for a bit.   Quite frankly, he was really a condescending fellow.  So....

We go into Grandma's room and she hollers REALLY loudly:  "So.  Did you talk to that stupid doctor???"   I think every nurse, doctor and patient within a 4 room radius must have heard her.  I thought it was hilarious!