Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

2»

Comments

• I too was a little bit hesitant when it came to getting the cast iron grid, but for me, it was a game changer when it came to searing in flavor for steaks/sausage/burgers... Big fan
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    On my large I ran the large SS grate on top of the firering, and a small CI grade in a spider next to the lump for searing. Love the combo.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited January 2017

I much prefer using ss grids (or even cheap steal) for searing than ci.  Those pretty grill marks only show because most of the surface does not have a good crust on it.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I use the CI 1/2 moon shape on my XL - use the normal grate for low/slow and the CI for "grilling". 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    I don't think it is about grill marks, but more about heat control, momentum.

Putting a nice color, smoke, on certain things without overcooking the crap out of it....letting the iron do some of the work as it heats up, reducing flare ups.  

The BGE heat is uneven, CI helps straighten it out.    Burgers, sausage, wings, to name a few, also benefit from this.  

Hotter is not always better IMO.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    I can't keep CI from rusting high heat seems to burn off the seasoning. I have been looking at SS from Michael's Custom Grill Works. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,981
    kcw said:
    I can't keep CI from rusting high heat seems to burn off the seasoning. I have been looking at SS from Michael's Custom Grill Works. Anyone have any thoughts?
    After my cast iron grill broke in half and I got tired of it I had Michael make this one for my small egg which is my steak egg. It leaves better sear hatch marks than my CI ever did. Trust me Michael's grates are heavy duty, well made and should last a lifetime!

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    That's another thing I have one cast iron grate with a crack.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,161
    RRP said:
    kcw said:
    After my cast iron grill broke in half and I got tired of it I had Michael make this one for my small egg which is my steak egg. It leaves better sear hatch marks than my CI ever did. Trust me Michael's grates are heavy duty, well made and should last a lifetime!

Ron - what diameter rod and spacing is that? Yours looks like what I want to order for my MM, but I can't readily tell from his website which pictures go with which sizes so I don't know what to order. Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • RRP

Ron - what diameter rod and spacing is that? Yours looks like what I want to order for my MM, but I can't readily tell from his website which pictures go with which sizes so I don't know what to order. Thanks!
    Here you go...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198199/new-custom-stainless-grill-for-my-small-arrived
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited January 2017
    I've had a few friends say the cast iron grate cracks under high temp.. any truth to this? If so, I thought that's exactly what it's made for..?
    Yep, mine popped and had a couple of areas where it cracked. I used it forever with no issues. I now have it as a spare after my dealer replaced it, no questions asked, from a photo emailed to them.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• smokeyw said:
    I never have a need to spread my lump out after it gets going. I use a KAB and fill it full every time so it is already as spread out as it will get.
    Agree! I love my KAB.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• RRP
    I've had a few friends say the cast iron grate cracks under high temp.. any truth to this? If so, I thought that's exactly what it's made for..?
    Yep, mine popped and had a couple of areas where it cracked. I used it forever with no issues. I now have it as a spare after my dealer replaced it, no questions asked, from a photo emailed to them.
    I am no metallurgist, but just common sense says that the very design of a BGE  cast iron grate is the problem with that circular outer ring. When the egg gets hot in the center the metal expands quicker than that outer ring causing stress. Given the fact that cast iron is actually a very soft metal then imperfections in the casting can't take that stress and break. The reason my home made one lasted the years it did was no outer ring - but just the same even in time it failed - and that's why I popped for a custom stainless one from Michael.