Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can you keep a dry rub??

I found some steak seasoning when I was looking for onion powder. I am not sure how long I have had it, but every thing I need would be in that bottle including some spices. Thanks
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother it would take forever to try and type up roughly how long each individual and mixed spices would last. But with that said, a tell tale sign is if it's still "loose" it's normally good. Usually once it's clumped up and "faded" looking it has lost most of its potency. Sprinkle a little in your hand and give it the taste test. If it tastes good and looks good it's good to go. For reference, I have kept some rubs for over year that were fine as long as they were kept in a good tight container. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Potency/flavor is lost overtime. +1 with what @SGH said. If it's lost some flavor, just use more. You need to use it up anyway. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Make it up in SMALL amounts so it doesn't go bad between uses.  
    By 'small', I mean 2 or 3 cooks worth.   I summer, that's MAYBE a months worth for me, given that only 2nd or 3rd cook will need the rub.   
  • slantback37
    slantback37 Posts: 135
    Thanks.This seasoning was in it's jar. Sealed, and in the dark back of the cabinet for maybe 5 years. Still smells good, and I have taste. Like was said.. Better use it up..
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I have a huge box of rubs. Most of which are over 2 years old. Spare having a new bottle next to it to taste test with, I don't know the difference. I know I'll never go on a dry rub buying spree again, but when I first got my egg I wanted to rethink my entire BBQ knowledge. I bought way way too many rubs and opened every single one of them to try them. They all still taste great though, so I'm making my way through them. The hard part is not getting stuck on one and then wanting to buy another bottle of it instead of moving on in my box.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I have a huge box of rubs. Most of which are over 2 years old. Spare having a new bottle next to it to taste test with, I don't know the difference. I know I'll never go on a dry rub buying spree again, but when I first got my egg I wanted to rethink my entire BBQ knowledge. I bought way way too many rubs and opened every single one of them to try them. They all still taste great though, so I'm making my way through them. The hard part is not getting stuck on one and then wanting to buy another bottle of it instead of moving on in my box.
    I will likely give them away at some point.  The rub buying spree I did was insane.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • slantback37
    I bought a small bottle of that Montreal Steak Seasoning from Target. Not sure how it tastes though. If it ends up being to hot.. I will just mix it in with the other.
  • EggPerfection
    EggPerfection Posts: 124
    SGH is right on the mark.  Taste it.  There won't be anything poisonous and you'll know if an herb went bitter.  95% chance that it'll be fine anyway.
    Best - Jack
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    It keeps. Seasonings have a half life similar to Uranium. Seriously, I pulled down a box in the garage I use to store my backpacking equipment, and I found a jar of stuff I made about ten years ago, and use to dash on to some FD stuff. Tried on some pork chops the other night, they came out great, and the seasoning was still good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @cazzy every spree you go on is insane.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    YukonRon said:
    It keeps. Seasonings have a half life similar to Uranium. Seriously, I pulled down a box in the garage I use to store my backpacking equipment, and I found a jar of stuff I made about ten years ago, and use to dash on to some FD stuff. Tried on some pork chops the other night, they came out great, and the seasoning was still good.
    What he said.  Taste it, and season accordingly. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• slantback37
    Will do.. Thanks
  • slantback37
    Going to slop it first with EVOO. Then put the rub on. On one bottle it says to just sprinkle some on. Ones I have seen done on youtube they really apply it. Which one. I just want to do it all right to start with..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Going to slop it first with EVOO. Then put the rub on. On one bottle it says to just sprinkle some on. Ones I have seen done on youtube they really apply it. Which one. I just want to do it all right to start with..
    It's going to be up to your taste preferences and what you are cooking. Most rubs call for a specific ratio per pound. If it's a smaller roast or steak/chop, I'll stay close to the ratio depending on brand and salt content. If it's a larger roast like a butt, I go nuts since it can handle it without getting over seasoned.
  • slantback37
    I only have a 4 Lb Pork Butt. I tried the two different rubs i have now, and both taste pretty hot. I think I will have to try that SPOG deal. Only need the Onion powder. I have every thing else.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I keep my bulk stuff in a freezer.  I have 2 ounce jars I keep rubs in my cabinet for immediate use.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • slantback37
    With that Salt, Pepper, Onion powder, and Garlic powder. Is there a set standard of how much of each to use?? Also. Would that be something to just sprinkle on??
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Use however much you like.  I tend to error on the light side till I know how much I like.

You can just sprinkle on if you like.  I usually use EVOO or mustard as a base then put my rub on.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • slantback37
    Okay. Thanks..
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    @cazzy every spree you go on is insane.
    Jerkstore....and you to @Ozzie_Isaac for agreeing with him!  :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • slantback37
    Guess I shouldn't have eaten the bark. I got sicker than a dog last night. I will cut it off the meat today.